Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Flat Panels & Digital Format (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   TV shopping? (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=270620)

vts1134 07-02-2018 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeno (Post 3201538)
TV shopping sucks now. All the sets are put in display mode
that gives a fake picture only meant to grab your eye.
The content shown dont help either. Then try to get them
to give you a remote to see what it really looks like.
Forget that idea.........

All I can say is I got a 32" Sony about 6 yrs ago & it has been
flawless. It even can give a mild natural pix like a CRT set.
Not overstated, inaccurate colors & room lighting brightness........

73 Zeno:smoke:
LFOD !

Sounds like you're shopping at the wrong kind of store.

mr_rye89 07-04-2018 11:53 PM

I have no idea what kind of TV I would buy now. I haven't bought a new one in 10 years. I got a Vizio 32" Plasma back in '08, used that until I got a 52" Mitsu DLP RPTV (lol lightbulbs) and have been using various DLP, CRT, and LCoS/D-ILA projectors, My latest being a JVC DLA-RS30U. I never did like LCD. Meh colors and backlight bleed. Hell Even my computer monitor is a CRT (LaCie 22" Diamondtron). Now if I could locate another one of those.......

Dude111 07-05-2018 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by electronjohn
Well. maybe. We have a 52" Sharp "Aquos" that has been a fine performer since new about 6 years ago. Couple months ago, two thin lines developed near the top of the screen. Recently, a third line has become apparent about 1/3 of the way down. Since I have little knowledge of the black magic in how these things operate...is it fixable or just potential E-waste. Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.

Im so sorry buddy :(

I hope you can find something good soon :)

Have ya tried unplugging it and waiting awhile and re-pluggiong?

electronjohn 07-05-2018 08:45 AM

Don't think the plug/unplug routine would help, but I might give it a try. Regardless, shopping may be over. One of our sons closed one of his restaurants and has several 55 inchers that are now surplus. Don't know brands, but he said "$100 and one's yours." Likely the route we'll go.

Dude111 07-06-2018 11:18 AM

Well i hope it all goes Ok for ya :)

55?? -- Woah!!

mr_rye89 08-19-2018 03:25 PM

Done jinxed myself!

I had some kind of weird power anomaly this week and it killed my nice JVC projector.:sigh: I went on ebay to look for another and they cost the same as when I bought mine (about $800)

These days that amount of cash gets you a really big direct view (nearly the size of my projection screen) LED/LCD with 4K/HDR and LCDs aren't as bad as I remembered.

Time to go shopping!

zeno 08-19-2018 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vts1134 (Post 3201589)
Sounds like you're shopping at the wrong kind of store.

There is no right place around here anymore, maybe nowheres.
All big box. I even worked a SHORT time at one. Most consumer electronics
are sold as blister packed commodities hanging on a peg board. Nobody
gives a crap anymore. If you come in to do it right & honest you soon
find yourself reading the help wanted page.

LFOD !

zeno 08-19-2018 05:40 PM

IMHO Ed is on to it. Dont drive these things to the max & they look better & almost have to give much longer life. Remember heat is the killer most the time. Reducing current = less heat. The constant bad 'lytics in the PS will last longer along with the backlights & drivers.

LFOD !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed in Tx (Post 3201557)
Sleep!

It's typically on from a little before 7 until nearly Midnight. I leave it on even if I go out for a while. Entertains the pets.

I think part of the reason for longevity is I've always run the backlighting at 3 (out of 10 max). Plenty bright with the proper picture and brightness settings and it runs a whole lot cooler, and draws about 90 Watts. At full "10" backlighting, the power consumption goes up over 200 Watts and it gets that eye-piercing brightness most anti-LCD people complain about. Of course now, they are all lit up with LEDs, so probably none of that applies.