Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Solid State CRT Televisions (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   1976 Quasar console (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=263773)

jstout66 04-26-2016 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamsbeard (Post 3161114)
Also, by that point, it wasn't motorola anymore that made those set, but Matsushita (Panasonic).

I think the switch was in 1974, and parts were getting unobtanium for "real" Quasar sets by 1980. I remember a hybrid set on our service route. that had a flyback go out (and a flyback failure in those sets were rare).

I remember how pissed the customer was because it took over a month for us to get that fly.

zeno 04-26-2016 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieseljeep (Post 3129033)
I bought some Zenith orange drop double caps at a swap-meet. They were NOS, loose in a large box. A beautiful, sun shiney day. They turned a darker orange color, by being out in the sun. I bought a few, for a buck each. :scratch2:

Beware the part numbers ! There are at least 3 different values
during the CC2 upright chassis era. One common one that comes
in a kit 800-860 ( on pkg but not part ). Another for the 13" and
one more for the EFL gun sets. I never noticed on later Sys3 sets.
I never seen them in bulk so be a little careful.
BTW what are the markings on them ??
Also they are single caps. One pair of wires completes the
collector circuit, other pair the emitter ( ground) path. They are
designed to open & kill the HV if the cap itself opens. You will
get good snd but zero HV. They can also short, then you get
loud hum followed by breaker trip. America Radionics ( white ones)
were not opening when the cap itself opened so the troubles.
Process for CRT necking is this.
S cap opens & HV goes up tward 50KV.
Vert module fails putting DC on the vert yoke winding.
Yoke overheats & cuts CRT glass.
Arcing damages much more usually.

This brings us to one more tip. Symptom is good snd, good HV
no raster OR a slight foggy dim haze. When you turn off
a line (no vert sweep) pops down from the top or up from bottom.
Its vert out fail that puts DC on the yoke & pulls the line off the
screen. Some electrons bounce around & make it causing the haze.
Since this can cause a necking dont run it long. Common in
Zenith, Maggy & others.

73 Zeno:smoke:

dieseljeep 04-27-2016 12:45 PM

I bought the 800-860 kits and still have one or two. I don't remember using any of the bulk ones, I bought. That was when I quit doing any TV repair, on a regular basis.

Dreamsbeard 02-22-2017 08:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Would you believe it, but I finally got around to adjust this Quasar, and I got to admit...its got quite a nice picture!

The only thing left that is bugging me is the constant brightness shift due to macrovision. I tough solid state from the mid 70's where not suseptible to that. JonA has got an Electrohome from the same vintage as the Quasar and he does not have the problem...so how do you guys enjoy your TV with all that macrovision Cr**p?

dishdude 02-22-2017 10:08 PM

Wow! That is a great picture!

Dreamsbeard 02-23-2017 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dishdude (Post 3179224)
Wow! That is a great picture!

Yes the pictures is very good, and with a good convergence and focus, its almost as good as any 80s set I have, and color is better than my 86 Hitachi. The tv is only let down by not having comb filter and of course that macrovision...

Jon A. 02-23-2017 11:36 AM

I reckon the Sylvania CRT is part of the reason the picture is so good. My '79 Superset had one of the best pictures I've seen on an old set until the tripler went... and the focus control fell apart while I was trying to hook up the new tripler. Very hard to find an insulated-mount pot with such high resistance.

Jeffhs 02-23-2017 02:27 PM

There isn't much or anything you can do about Macrovision, as it is a copy-protection scheme to prevent illegal copying of DVDs. If there is any kind of system capable of filtering out Macrovision, I am not aware of it; I doubt if such a filter is available, as it would be itself illegal. Hollywood and the TV production companies have been awake nights trying to foil these systems, as (of course) they do not want their programming being stolen. However, if the brightness of your TV picture varies on standard TV programming as well as with DVDs, the problem is almost certainly in the set itself, probably a CRT bias problem.

Electronic M 02-23-2017 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffhs (Post 3179262)
There isn't much or anything you can do about Macrovision, as it is a copy-protection scheme to prevent illegal copying of DVDs. If there is any kind of system capable of filtering out Macrovision, I am not aware of it; I doubt if such a filter is available, as it would be itself illegal. Hollywood and the TV production companies have been awake nights trying to foil these systems, as (of course) they do not want their programming being stolen. However, if the brightness of your TV picture varies on standard TV programming as well as with DVDs, the problem is almost certainly in the set itself, probably a CRT bias problem.

There are macrovision strippers all over Ebay and there have been many threads on it here....Some of which I think you've read and ought to remember.

Jon A. 02-23-2017 04:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffhs (Post 3179262)
However, if the brightness of your TV picture varies on standard TV programming as well as with DVDs, the problem is almost certainly in the set itself, probably a CRT bias problem.

It doesn't happen if he's playing a game on it.

Anyway, if this problem is due to Macrovision, I'm guessing certain RF modulators may be able to compensate for it. I've been using a RadioShack model 15-1214 this entire time. I got it and a generic (?) equivalent in silver at the Sally Ann. I'm using the S-video input but it was fine on composite as well.

Marco-nix 02-23-2017 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamsbeard (Post 3179219)
Would you believe it, but I finally got around to adjust this Quasar, and I got to admit...its got quite a nice picture!

The only thing left that is bugging me is the constant brightness shift due to macrovision. I tough solid state from the mid 70's where not suseptible to that. JonA has got an Electrohome from the same vintage as the Quasar and he does not have the problem...so how do you guys enjoy your TV with all that macrovision Cr**p?

Well, you did a good job on this TV. Congratulation ! :thmbsp: I wish I had your knowledge. There are many things I don't know how to do in televisions. Radios is easier to work with and less adjustments.