Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Flat Panels & Digital Format (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Another Mitsubishi, but way bigger this time! (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=255292)

zenithfan1 08-15-2012 05:32 PM

Another Mitsubishi, but way bigger this time!

The now retired superintendent of schools for Lake Forest called and said he has a big screen tv he wanted to give away, he lives in Fort Sheridan so I just said yes without even asking what it was. I went over there yesterday and picked this up, it's a 2001 Mitsubishi model WT-46809. It works perfectly and a Denon 5.1 system came with it that I didn't know about. I'm glad I didn't buy a big tv, free ones are better:D The picture is very bright and the contrast and brightness are at half or a little under. It also looks good with a regular DTV box, I'd like to find one that receives HD. What one would you guys recommend? Sorry about the glare, I need to get curtains:rolleyes:
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/i...-12at757PM.jpg
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/i...12at757PM2.jpg
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/i...-12at758PM.jpg
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/i...-12at518PM.jpg

ctc17 08-15-2012 08:40 PM

I wish I got RT on Directv. RT rocks, I never thought I would be saying the Russia Today new station was less biased than the big corporate propaganda US news outlets.

mstaton 08-16-2012 02:23 AM

You can use a Samsung SIR TS360 or SIR-TS160 . They are cheap and plentiful. They are a direct TV receiver that has an actual HD over the air tuner built in(up to 1080I). You do NOT need Direct TV service but you will need the card to turn off the dish antenna in the menu.(any direct TV card will do) Once turned off, you do not need the card anymore.(you can borrow one for a half hour or so) It also tunes in cable along with the HD over the air at the same time. It switches between the 2 automatically. 2(cable), 2.1(OTA), 2.2(OTA), 3(cable) etc

zenithfan1 08-16-2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctc17 (Post 3045066)
I wish I got RT on Directv. RT rocks, I never thought I would be saying the Russia Today new station was less biased than the big corporate propaganda US news outlets.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. I also watch Aljazeera and NHK (Nippon Hoso Kyokai) (Japan Broadcasting Corporation) They all three put stuff on that our news does not, LOTS of things....They have a warning before they start that says "viewer discretion advised, all news is direct from the source and is unedited."

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstaton (Post 3045095)
You can use a Samsung SIR TS360 or SIR-TS160 . They are cheap and plentiful. They are a direct TV receiver that has an actual HD over the air tuner built in(up to 1080I). You do NOT need Direct TV service but you will need the card to turn off the dish antenna in the menu.(any direct TV card will do) Once turned off, you do not need the card anymore.(you can borrow one for a half hour or so) It also tunes in cable along with the HD over the air at the same time. It switches between the 2 automatically. 2(cable), 2.1(OTA), 2.2(OTA), 3(cable) etc

Thanks for the info! I'll start looking for one:D

AiboPet 08-16-2012 12:19 PM

Thanks for the news sources you have mentioned. My Cox cable here in San Diego appears to not have ANY of these.....and I am a bit tired of spoonfed news with flower gardens and Dachshound races.

I wanna see it "raw" and without stupid Dem/Rep bias, global warming agendas and sensationalism.... then process it by myself. I used to watch NHK and BBC when I lived in Hong Kong. The "local" HK news would have been RTHK back then...and was sorta the same bias and rose colored glasses you see HERE. I catch the BBC every few days here if I think about it. Always more informed when watching something from NOT here in the states.

DavGoodlin 08-16-2012 01:59 PM

I have a Samsung SIRT-451 and a Zenith HDV-420 that get HD and have component outputs. They would work also for the Mitsu.

zenithfan1 08-16-2012 10:46 PM

I took a look inside the set today, I was rather surprised to see almost nothing but Nichicon capacitors and other high quality parts inside. This thing may last another 11 years, at least:D Given the CRTs don't die:rolleyes:
Also, thanks for more DTV box suggestions. I've never looked for a box that wasn't "coupon eligible" :)

zenithfan1 08-16-2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AiboPet (Post 3045113)
Thanks for the news sources you have mentioned. My Cox cable here in San Diego appears to not have ANY of these.....and I am a bit tired of spoonfed news with flower gardens and Dachshound races.

I wanna see it "raw" and without stupid Dem/Rep bias, global warming agendas and sensationalism.... then process it by myself. I used to watch NHK and BBC when I lived in Hong Kong. The "local" HK news would have been RTHK back then...and was sorta the same bias and rose colored glasses you see HERE. I catch the BBC every few days here if I think about it. Always more informed when watching something from NOT here in the states.

You're welcome! Where do get the BBC? I'd like to watch that one too.....

AiboPet 08-17-2012 07:12 AM

Cox has a BBC America channel.....and at SOME point they run "actual" BBC news. I just sometimes catch it because I might have been watching TopGear the night before.

I'm an odd TV viewer. I have the TV ALWAYS on.....but usually just on "something not annoying"...so I pretty rarely plan my day around the TV, or turn it on a certain channel at a certain time. I'll have it on Discovery...until I see a SHARK (HATE "shark week"), and will then search for something NOT annoying. Usually it's History, Animal Planet or one of the Science things like TLC. I think the only thing I "know" is on every night is that Big Bang thing with the nerds is on after my "local" news. I do tend to watch those guys...but pretty sure I've now seen all of 'em :-P

I'm not sure quite when the BBC America has the news on...but I know it's nightly at least.

holmesuser01 08-17-2012 08:09 AM

Good luck with the Mitsu. They have their faults.

I bought my mom a 46" Mitsu projection set and it ran about 5 years before problems started happening.

I've replaced about 35 Nichison capacitors... most were leaking, and some were just discolored and bloated. The set plays on... Also removed blobs of glue that held wires in place along the PC board... Over the years, this white glue will react with the board surface and cause electrical problems.

Mom is happy. It's working.

Kamakiri 08-17-2012 08:14 AM

Whenever I think of international news, I think of this. You have to admit that it's true ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vjU_...eature=related

ChrisW6ATV 08-20-2012 12:13 AM

The better HD over-the-air set-top tuners were the ones built by LG; some were combination DirecTV/OTA tuners. Models include the Zenith 420 and 520 (HD-SAT520?), Hughes HTL-HD, Sony 200 and 300 (SAT-HD200/300?), and LG 3100/3200/3410 (LST-3100A, etc.?).

Jeffhs 09-03-2012 11:57 AM

The closest I come to getting BBC news on cable (Time Warner) here in northeastern Ohio is a newscast called, IIRC, "BBC World News" on PBS World (one of the subchannels of the PBS affiliate in Cleveland). I have the lowest tier of cable service above broadcast channels only. The higher levels of service may have direct feeds from the BBC; in fact, I think they do have "BBC America" on one of the digital tiers, but I don't care to subscribe to those higher tiers since they require the use of a cable box -- even with flat screens that already have full-range (NTSC, ATSC, 8-VSB, clear QAM) tuners.

holmesuser01 09-03-2012 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffhs (Post 3046709)
The closest I come to getting BBC news on cable (Time Warner) here in northeastern Ohio is a newscast called, IIRC, "BBC World News" on PBS World (one of the subchannels of the PBS affiliate in Cleveland). I have the lowest tier of cable service above broadcast channels only. The higher levels of service may have direct feeds from the BBC; in fact, I think they do have "BBC America" on one of the digital tiers, but I don't care to subscribe to those higher tiers since they require the use of a cable box -- even with flat screens that already have full-range (NTSC, ATSC, 8-VSB, clear QAM) tuners.

BBC America is OK... Too many commercials, like everything else. I remember being told that cable/satellite TV would get me less commercials! Boy, did I get suckered on that!!

BBC News is vastly better than any of the American network news shows. They dont beat around the bush like our network news does.

jr_tech 09-03-2012 12:45 PM

How about BBC World news off of FTA satellite? According to LyngSat it should be available "in the clear" on Galaxy 13*:

http://www.lyngsat.com/tvchannels/uk...-Americas.html

jr

*C band, so the usual small FTA ku dish set-up won't work.