Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Sears Color Portable, Hybrid, 1972 Recent Find! (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=262477)

BigDavesTV 08-27-2014 11:47 AM

Sears Color Portable, Hybrid, 1972 Recent Find!

4 Attachment(s)
I had the good fortune, recently, to find this Sears (Sanyo) 15" Color Portable. As found, complete except for power cord, dirty, but all knobs & tubes are present. The cabinet is solid, just dirty. I've done nothing so far, except to momentarily remove the back, to take chassis photos. I'll get around to checking it further, after I complete a few ongoing projects! I have attached the photos, as found, I was just thrilled to find this at a thrift store! It's model # 4061, chassis # 564.80153, and I also need to obtain Sams 1279-3, (my Sams only go into early 1972). Updates to follow in future.:D

Username1 08-27-2014 12:49 PM

Very nice tv ! ! I would have rescued it too ! !

Can't wait to see it run ! ! !

Please don't change all the caps....

dieseljeep 08-27-2014 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDavesTV (Post 3113563)
I had the good fortune, recently, to find this Sears (Sanyo) 15" Color Portable. As found, complete except for power cord, dirty, but all knobs & tubes are present. The cabinet is solid, just dirty. I've done nothing so far, except to momentarily remove the back, to take chassis photos. I'll get around to checking it further, after I complete a few ongoing projects! I have attached the photos, as found, I was just thrilled to find this at a thrift store! It's model # 4061, chassis # 564.80153, and I also need to obtain Sams 1279-3, (my Sams only go into early 1972). Updates to follow in future.:D

Maybe some of these thrift shop owner's are starting to realize, that an item like this, has a market.
Most of the time, a set in this condition, goes to the recycling bin.
Big and bulky, old style tuners and missing AC line cord, are too many negatives.

BigDavesTV 08-27-2014 02:06 PM

Yes, I'd have to agree, dieseljeep, and also I think it's amazing that a set like this even made it to the thrift store, considering it's too easily taken to the curb by the set's owner. I suspect that was the fate of many small color and BW portable sets, especially in the late 70s and all through the 1980's, before the big recycling awareness!

old_tv_nut 08-27-2014 02:48 PM

Whole lotta tubes there - not a hybrid?

zeno 08-27-2014 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old_tv_nut (Post 3113586)
Whole lotta tubes there - not a hybrid?

Depends on where you draw the line. Color CKT all SS except
the -Y amps. Usually they start with the audio then the IF's
but not on this-un.

73 Zeno:smoke:

dieseljeep 08-27-2014 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeno (Post 3113600)
Depends on where you draw the line. Color CKT all SS except
the -Y amps. Usually they start with the audio then the IF's
but not on this-un.

73 Zeno:smoke:

There seems to a lot of tubes in the set. The IF strip is probably SS and parts of the audio and color demod circuit.
I have a 19" model, from around that era. It had a 4EH7, where it shows a 4EJ7. Not a big deal! Also, the 3AT2 was shorted and the 31JS6, was red-plating.
The 15" model, shows that the horizontal output tube seems to be rather spent, by the brownish area around the getter flash.
Don't mind me! I would've bought it myself. :scratch2:

Robb 08-27-2014 09:11 PM

SWEET FIND ! :drool:

Thats not an easy set to find especially at a thrift store !
They see a big heavy square thing and they just toss them !! :no:

Electronic M 08-27-2014 09:40 PM

That is one sweet find! I wish my local thrifts would cough up one of those...Only tube TV stuff I seem to find are UHF converters, and gutted 50's console cabinets.

Jon A. 08-28-2014 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieseljeep (Post 3113572)
Maybe some of these thrift shop owner's are starting to realize, that an item like this, has a market.

That would take a lot of persuasion. To most of them these are just non-sellable items that would take up valuable floor space, so they're immediately tossed. I'm inclined to think that those interested in them would have to inquire before they're even moved from the donation area, and not just once. Also, they would have to learn that there are differences aside from looks between sets like these and the run-of-the-mill BPC sets that sit for weeks until tossed.

Fairlane500skyliner 09-15-2014 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDavesTV (Post 3113563)
I was just thrilled to find this at a thrift store!

Awesome find! I can only dream of finding something like this at a thrift store here - it's mandatory that thrift stores have all appliances tested and tagged, and they can only be sold if they work. Everything else, goes in the e-Waste bins. Most of them don't even bother with CRT sets, as there's no market for them. :no:

Good luck with it!

Chris

andy 09-16-2014 10:42 AM

BigDavesTV 09-16-2014 11:44 AM

Thanks, Andy, nice to see those two pictures, the Sanyo and the Sears/Sanyo, which looks almost identical to the one I have, except for being slightly different cabinet style and color. Thanks to Zeno, I now have a Sams for mine, I just have to find the time to get around to it! Looks like in a month or so, I should be able to get to it, gotta finish a couple other projects first....and then....

BigDavesTV 11-14-2014 11:37 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Hi All! As promised, an update on my progress with this little Sears (Sanyo) 15" Color Portable, 1971-'72. First, I had called it a Hybrid, that's a bit misleading, it has a few transistors, but is mostly tubes, oops!
To get the set up and running again, I found there was one shorted PS Diode, and two very nearly shorted Input Filter Capacitors. I replaced the shorted diode, along with it's counterpart, and the two capacitors, and found I also had a "shot" Circuit Breaker. Replaced the breaker with a proper fuse, that got the set working for about 1 minute, at 117 VAC, then a large resistor in the B+ line to the audio output plate (6AQ5A), began overheating, power down, and discovered a shorted 5uF / 350V cap across that line, replaced the cap, checked resistor, and then the set worked! I had to do some restoration on the CRT (490BNB22A), with my Sencore CR70, as there was good red emission, but nearly none on Green and Blue Guns! The attached pictures show what I wound up with, not a bad picture, for what the set is. Of course, it's a low-focus voltage CRT, and moving the focus lead to the suggested "taps" makes hardly any difference, so I left it on the "tap" that was best. Enjoy the pictures, this was a fun one! I also cleaned and polished the white plastic cabinet, it looks much better than the first as-found pic's. I posted about two months ago.

Username1 11-14-2014 01:48 PM

Looks good ! ! I Like it !