Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   General Off Topic Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Abandon TV sets... (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=271208)

Hawkwind 01-01-2019 07:54 PM

Abandon TV sets...

4 Attachment(s)
TV sets in abannded<sic>buildings...

MadMan 01-01-2019 11:20 PM

What a dump.

MIPS 01-01-2019 11:59 PM

I have always wondered where they keep finding places like this where books are still stacked in shelves and dishes are still in cupboards. I spy me a set of Popular Mechanics DIY books.

Usually all I find are places looted clean of anything you can carry or intact but completely defurnished.

Electronic M 01-02-2019 09:28 AM

Probably either abandoned towns or owned property that the owners have not lived in or maintained for decades... my grandma had such a place in the Chicago suburbs that I helped clean out.... the place had been in a flood and she had inherited great grandmas place so she moved there but left most of the stuff in the first place....it got looted a bit but it is hard to clean out a semi Horder house in a decent neighborhood and not get arrested unless you own the place.

There was a house like that on my block, but lived in... the guy didn't have running water or electricity in a house that would have been 200-400k easily if he had maintained It as a livable home... instead he so let it so go to pot that the new owners had to knock down all but the attached garage to remodel that dump.

dieseljeep 01-02-2019 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electronic M (Post 3207108)
Probably either abandoned towns or owned property that the owners have not lived in or maintained for decades... my grandma had such a place in the Chicago suburbs that I helped clean out.... the place had been in a flood and she had inherited great grandmas place so she moved there but left most of the stuff in the first place....it got looted a bit but it is hard to clean out a semi Horder house in a decent neighborhood and not get arrested unless you own the place.

There was a house like that on my block, but lived in... the guy didn't have running water or electricity in a house that would have been 200-400k easily if he had maintained It as a livable home... instead he so let it so go to pot that the new owners had to knock down all but the attached garage to remodel that dump.

There must've been a restricted structure size on that lot. Not enough lot size to support a structure of that size. The owner can get around that zoning rule by leaving part of the existing structure stand and building onto or around it.
Then it would be considered an existing structure. :thmbsp:

Electronic M 01-02-2019 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieseljeep (Post 3207113)
There must've been a restricted structure size on that lot. Not enough lot size to support a structure of that size. The owner can get around that zoning rule by leaving part of the existing structure stand and building onto or around it.
Then it would be considered an existing structure. :thmbsp:

Could be. They are one of 2-3 houses with double sized lots in the neighborhood, and we are basically unincorporated in my neighborhood with no side walk, storm drains water utilities, but gas and sewer ( to keep lake Pewaukee down the hill from getting any nastier).... It is a weird neighborhood with a mix of farm buildings, nearly century old vacation cabins/huts, and houses of various eras.

maxhifi 01-02-2019 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIPS (Post 3207102)
I spy me a set of Popular Mechanics DIY books.

Hey you're right, I have that set.

bgadow 01-05-2019 09:36 PM

I've shared before about a house that was in my family. The owner died in '71 & it was passed down to her daughter who didn't want anything disturbed. It remained just like that until she herself died about 10 years ago. It was in an older, middle-class neighborhood in a small town so folks kept an eye on it. From the outside it looked quite empty. Next door, as it happens, was a "crazy old cat lady" who passed away around the same time. I went in that house as well and it really wasn't much different! (I don't think she used some of the rooms for a very long time.)

svhs 02-11-2019 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMan (Post 3207101)
What a dump.

https://images.theconversation.com/f...w=926&fit=clip

Sandy G 02-11-2019 03:36 PM

I'd bet at least ONE of those TeeVees would have come on & maybe showed a raster, but none of 'em really turned me on... STILL hate to see stuff like that on its inevitable way to "Rack 'n' Ruin"... Offends the Basic Packattus-Itis in me..None of y'all would know ANYTHING about THAT, though, would you ?!? (Grin)

Hawkwind 02-16-2019 02:59 PM

More...

5 Attachment(s)
From a hotel in Virginia...

Hawkwind 02-16-2019 03:02 PM

2 More...

2 Attachment(s)
From houses in Tennessee..

WISCOJIM 02-16-2019 03:14 PM

I find an awful lot of these "abandoned" pictures online have "staged" pictures full of props in them. Don't put a lot of faith in them to be real.

David Roper 02-17-2019 03:11 AM

Surely that was a hotel in Virginia 40 years ago....

Hawkwind 02-17-2019 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Roper (Post 3208666)
Surely that was a hotel in Virginia 40 years ago....

Pictures taken recently. See the whole story here:

https://www.uer.ca/forum_showthread....hreadid=129869