Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=170)
-   -   Learning How to Test Tubes with Sencore - A Few Questions (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=275832)

vintage.digi 05-03-2023 08:21 PM

Learning How to Test Tubes with Sencore - A Few Questions

3 Attachment(s)
Okay, I've always been intimidated to start looking into the technical stuff, but tonight I've set out with the goal of testing a few CRTs that I've had for a while.

I have a Sencore CR7000 and I've already put it through a field test. Everything looked good except that the filament voltage could be more accurate, but I can use a multimeter to make sure that's where I want it for now.

I would like to test the tube in a BVM, but first I was going to do a couple of much cheaper TVs. I started with an old Panasonic Quintrix. The first issue I ran into was the labeling of the pins. Everything is fine except for the filament. There is no F1 and F2, just H and H. How do I know which one is F1 and F2 or does it matter?

I hoped the book would clear this up for me, but the numbers it gives for the pins do not match the ones on the neckboard. It even has a pin 10 and there is no pin 10 on this tube. Am I reading something wrong? If I can't trust the book to be right about the pins, should I trust it to be right about the settings for voltage and bias? I'd be particularly nervous of using the wrong settings when connecting to the BVM tube.

vintage.digi 05-03-2023 09:40 PM

Progress has been made. I realized that the numbering in the manual was right from a certain point of view. It didn't match the manufacturer's numbering on the neckboard and it also assigned numbers to pins that weren't there, but I figured out what it was going for and I have thus far tested two tubes!

One thing I'm not entirely clear on. After I test the cutoff and low tracking, do I leave the cutoff knobs where they are when I adjust to emissions and high tracking? I'm thinking I'm supposed to leave them where they are but the manual isn't explicit on this.

vintage.digi 05-03-2023 10:43 PM

Okay, so I made it as far as testing the tube for the BVM as was my goal. My main concern was shorts and I didn't see anything indicating shorts either G1 or H-K shorts.

One thing that I did note however, is that on the cutoff and low tracking test, the voltage seemed to slowly drop. It was appearing to get a little more steady over time, but I wasn't sure how long it was safe to leave the tube hooked up to the tester. I know that you're expected to leave the monitor on for 30 minutes before doing any calibration, so it does take a long time to warm up.

Would a meter slowly dropping during the cutoff and low tracking test be of concern? Should I let this test run longer to see if the tube eventually stabilizes after warming up?

vintage.digi 05-04-2023 08:57 AM

I just realized that I made this thread in the wrong category. Would it be possible to move it to the diagnostic and test equipment category?