Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Antique Radio (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1936 Kadette "Jewel" (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=266377)

decojoe67 02-20-2016 10:20 PM

1936 Kadette "Jewel"

Once in a while I get to cross-off a wish-list radio and this is one of those times. It's a 1936 Kadette "Jewel" model 40. It was in dirty "as-found" condition when I got it. It just needed a good cleaning a polishing. The chassis is completely original and even the cloth cord and long antenna wire is in great shape. There was MANY color variations! I've realized that this one I have doesn't have the more typical solid color grille, but a more swirled type.
http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/...pslpmbox6g.jpg

Gregb 02-20-2016 11:33 PM

That is a really nice looking set you got there Joe. Great find!

Gregb

decojoe67 02-21-2016 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregb (Post 3156812)
That is a really nice looking set you got there Joe. Great find!

Gregb

Thanks Greg.The surprising thing about it is just how small it is! It looks a bit bigger in pics, but it's just a handful. The grille is tiny and very delicate. I can't figure how any of these survived in one piece after 80 years!

Sandy G 02-21-2016 07:17 AM

Homina, homina, Homina... Well, I'M in Love ! (grin)

decojoe67 02-21-2016 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy G (Post 3156820)
Homina, homina, Homina... Well, I'M in Love ! (grin)

...and though the $200 price was pretty much top retail, I've paid much more for sets with far less eye-appeal. Worth every penny of that in my opinion. I notice it takes time to land a good complete one though. They're often missing the tiny wafer-thin escutcheons, incorrect knobs, badly warped/cracked-grille, etc. I jumped at this one because I saw it had no issues and I wasn't going to wait for another chance!

dieseljeep 02-21-2016 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by decojoe67 (Post 3156827)
...and though the $200 price was pretty much top retail, I've paid much more for sets with far less eye-appeal. Worth every penny of that in my opinion. I notice it takes time to land a good complete one though. They're often missing the tiny wafer-thin escutcheons, incorrect knobs, badly warped/cracked-grille, etc. I jumped at this one because I saw it had no issues and I wasn't going to wait for another chance!

The set must've been kept in a ideal place. As you stated, they're generally not in this kind of condition, especially the speaker grill!
I looked up the schematic, it's in Riders 6&7. The power cord is the resistance type, 300 ohms.
Did you try it? Does it work? :scratch2:

Titan1a 02-21-2016 02:11 PM

Very nice!

decojoe67 02-21-2016 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieseljeep (Post 3156832)
The set must've been kept in a ideal place. As you stated, they're generally not in this kind of condition, especially the speaker grill!
I looked up the schematic, it's in Riders 6&7. The power cord is the resistance type, 300 ohms.
Did you try it? Does it work? :scratch2:

Yes, it has a resistance line cord. I powered it up on the variac and got nothing. One day I will get it up on my repairman's bench. Right now I'm just enjoying it as a piece of eye-candy!
.....and thanks Rick!

dieseljeep 02-22-2016 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by decojoe67 (Post 3156855)
Yes, it has a resistance line cord. I powered it up on the variac and got nothing. One day I will get it up on my repairman's bench. Right now I'm just enjoying it as a piece of eye-candy!
.....and thanks Rick!

If the set's totally dead, no tube light up or hum, it's possible that the resistance line cord is open, even though it looks to be in perfect condition.
The resistance element was made of an iron alloy, that was subject to rusting open. You can still use the cord, but only use the two line leads.
I use the capacitor-reactance method of heater dropping, about 12.3 mfd for your heater string. :thmbsp:
BTW, the 12A7, rectifier and output tube is quite novel!

decojoe67 02-22-2016 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieseljeep (Post 3156887)
If the set's totally dead, no tube light up or hum, it's possible that the resistance line cord is open, even though it looks to be in perfect condition.
The resistance element was made of an iron alloy, that was subject to rusting open. You can still use the cord, but only use the two line leads.
I use the capacitor-reactance method of heater dropping, about 12.3 mfd for your heater string. :thmbsp:
BTW, the 12A7, rectifier and output tube is quite novel!

Thanks for the info. A friend had mentioned that it likely would be open. Although it's be cleaned and polished, it was originally very dirty with webs on the chassis, although almost no rust on the chassis. It seems like it was stored in a fairly dry environment, although likely enough to rust the iron element. I will eventually get it on my repairman's bench and have it working again.

dieseljeep 02-22-2016 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by decojoe67 (Post 3156920)
Thanks for the info. A friend had mentioned that it likely would be open. Although it's be cleaned and polished, it was originally very dirty with webs on the chassis, although almost no rust on the chassis. It seems like it was stored in a fairly dry environment, although likely enough to rust the iron element. I will eventually get it on my repairman's bench and have it working again.

If possible, I'd like to see either the rear of the radio, with the back removed, or the chassis.
International Radio had specially designed parts to fit the small chassis, used in their sets. :scratch2:

decojoe67 02-22-2016 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieseljeep (Post 3156947)
If possible, I'd like to see either the rear of the radio, with the back removed, or the chassis.
International Radio had specially designed parts to fit the small chassis, used in their sets. :scratch2:

It'll be a while before I can get pics of my set, so I linked a page that has pics and info. It does seem like a rather unique little chassis. I wonder how they perform??
http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/intern_..._jewel_40.html

dieseljeep 02-23-2016 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by decojoe67 (Post 3156954)
It'll be a while before I can get pics of my set, so I linked a page that has pics and info. It does seem like a rather unique little chassis. I wonder how they perform??
http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/intern_..._jewel_40.html

They actually perform rather well!
By using the regular hank antenna, if should pick up most of the locals and a few of the "clear channel" distant stations.

decojoe67 02-27-2016 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieseljeep (Post 3157039)
They actually perform rather well!
By using the regular hank antenna, if should pick up most of the locals and a few of the "clear channel" distant stations.

I just got if off my repairman's bench and it does perform surprisingly well! The tone is the quality of a good cone speaker, which it actually is, but it's sensitive and produces good clear sound. The chassis was an easy fix and totally original. It never was serviced - until 80 years later!

dieseljeep 02-28-2016 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by decojoe67 (Post 3157359)
I just got if off my repairman's bench and it does perform surprisingly well! The tone is the quality of a good cone speaker, which it actually is, but it's sensitive and produces good clear sound. The chassis was an easy fix and totally original. It never was serviced - until 80 years later!

Was the line cord resistor still good?
I looked at the pictures on the old radio website, which were great. Interesting set and a great find. :thmbsp: