Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Solid State CRT Televisions (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   My new Zenith 25EC58! (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=268289)

TUD1 12-31-2016 12:51 PM

My new Zenith 25EC58!

3 Attachment(s)
Got this from a friend and local collector. We've been discussing trading this set for that 1955 Zenith highboy for months. Today it finally happened. I was so happy to see that highboy go. It was a total basket case. This thing however, works perfectly. After I Clean & Balanced the CRT, the colors and focus absolutely came alive.

Jon A. 12-31-2016 01:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Oh man, this one's nice! Much more interesting than most flats. I see it has the Setronic 7 control panel, very cool. What kind of CRT is in it? I wasn't aware of any flats with a dark-matrix CRT.

I just took a closer look at the cabinet. Is there actually wood in there aside from the top?

Some info on the Setronic 7:

dishdude 12-31-2016 01:34 PM

I like that set. Can we see more of the control panel? I don't think I have seen one like that before.

TUD1 12-31-2016 02:48 PM

When I get back, I will definitely show more of the control panel. One thing that bugs me about it is that there is no standby position on the Setronic 7. The light is always illuminating one of the adjustments.

Jon A. 12-31-2016 04:43 PM

What I would do in that case is put a piece of black electrical tape over the bottom half of the color level indicator and consider that the slider's default position. It would be an homage of sorts to the color broadcast light on the early rectangular color Motorola and Magnavox sets.

Electronic M 12-31-2016 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon A. (Post 3175911)
What kind of CRT is in it? I wasn't aware of any flats with a dark-matrix CRT.

All Zeniths over 18" after ~1970 were 'black matrix'! Zenith called their 'black matrix' tubes (IIRC that tech was Zenith's invention) "Chromacolor", and their SS sets with black matrix tubes were "Chromacolor II", or in VK speak CCII....IIRC CC CRTs were introduced in 1969 and made their way initially into tube/hybrid sets till the first solid states came out. Early SS zeniths just say Chromacolor as marketing had yet to add II to the end for the early sets. The first 3 sizes of CC CRTs were 23"V, 25"V, 19"V, and IIRC a few years later they began to make smaller screen CC CRTs to gradually phase out non-'black matrix' CRTs in their smaller sets.

Basically EVERY flat chassis SS Zenith has a 'balck matrix' "Chromacolor" CRT.

Jon A. 12-31-2016 05:26 PM

I meant the glass looks a lot darker than that of any Chromacolor CRT I've seen.

TUD1 12-31-2016 05:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's that control panel. Unfortunately, both bulbs for the channel select are burned out.

Electronic M 12-31-2016 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon A. (Post 3175930)
I meant the glass looks a lot darker than that of any Chromacolor CRT I've seen.

That is a glass tint or coating...'Black matrix' is not a tinting of the entire face (like what you find striking*), but rather painting the space between phosphor dots black (which improves contrast, focus, purity, and convergence), and changing shadow mask characteristics to account for that.

Tinting of CRT faces and or safety glass goes back to at least the early 50's, and never entirely went away (though popularity would fluctuate).

*You are right that IS uncommon...I did not initially notice it.

dishdude 12-31-2016 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TUD1 (Post 3175932)
Here's that control panel. Unfortunately, both bulbs for the channel select are burned out.

How does that work? Do you slide it left to right to select color, tint, black level, etc? Once you stop on an adjustment how do you change it?

TUD1 12-31-2016 07:56 PM

You just slide the slider until the adjustment you want to make is illuminated. Then you push the knob and turn. Just like a normal control.

TUD1 12-31-2016 09:30 PM

Well I've already hit my first problem with this thing. The blue G2 control is messed up. It's either full on or full off. No in between. Hopefully a shot of contact cleaner will fix it. It's impossible to do good greyscale in these conditions.

Jon A. 12-31-2016 10:11 PM

Could be a break in the carbon track too.

TUD1 12-31-2016 11:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Somehow I was able to get the blue G2 right where it starts to go full open, but stopped. It now has perfect greyscale and the colors on this TV are absolutely amazing. Hands down one of my best looking TV's in terms of picture quality.

zeno 01-01-2017 09:23 AM

G-2 control fails were common from the 4 tube hybrid
through the upright CC 2 chassis. All same values but
one had solder lugs & CC2 used spades that go into
terminal strips.

Chromacolor goes back to late 68. Black matrix with smaller
dots. Over the years more HV up to 30KV, smaller dots &
darker screen glass for better blacks & contrast.
CC tubes worked down through the 19" hybrids and the 16 & 14
tube sets as a step up option.

IMHO the control area was the best looking non-remote panel.
IIRC only on some E & F consoles IIRC. Slider has a small hole
in it for chromatic adjustment. Came with a plastic screwdriver.

IIRC lamps can be changed from front. Pull knobs then a few phillips.
Probably #159 or #259 in Zenith tradition....

73 Zeno:smoke:
LFOD !