Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Vintage Arcade, Pinball, and MAME (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   Did arcade games REALLY use Tube-driven monitors?? (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=261699)

rca2000 05-26-2014 10:29 PM

Did arcade games REALLY use Tube-driven monitors??

I seem to recall reading here that someone has worked on either a Centipede game or some other vintage , wonderful game--and they talked about the color monitors using TUBES !! I did NOT expect this to me the case. I expected them to contain all SS monitors, likely foreign-made and a lot of chips in the low-level ckty too. Then I read about a game that had a 6JE6 tube red-plating, likely from loss of drive or such.

True--or someone's dream??

colorfixer 05-27-2014 01:58 AM

Only the very early "silver age" games such as Computer Space and stuff contemporary with TVs of the era that were hybrid or last gasp had tubes. Pong for example had a solid state B/W tv hacked into a monitor. Every color game I've seen, even those with modified TV receivers have had solid state monitors.

rca2000 05-27-2014 09:15 AM

That i8s what I expected..EVERY modern (80's-now) video game I have seen in ...the monitor was boring looking, often hot chassis, and used chips for V-out and such-like tv sets of the day. Usually a single--boring to look at board.

zenith2134 05-27-2014 09:52 AM

Computer Space used the General Electric SF chassis b/w, same as the 12" b/w tv sets used. it was a hybrid tube chassis. Always thought that was interesting. And every SE or SF set I found over the years worked well as is, but many had weak CRTs(low emission)

colorfixer 05-29-2014 02:40 AM

The SF/SE had only one transistor if I recall correctly: the UHF oscillator.

Dude111 05-29-2014 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rca2000
That i8s what I expected..EVERY modern (80's-now) video game I have seen in ...the monitor was boring looking, often hot chassis, and used chips for V-out and such-like tv sets of the day. Usually a single--boring to look at board.

I have a SUPER PACMAN game in my room which I believe uses a CRT :)

ChrisW6ATV 05-31-2014 03:58 PM

They all used CRTs, but tubes on the chassis itself?

I worked on the Electrohome (customized JVC) game monitors in 1981 when we did warranty service for Williams, Stern, and others. It was fun to see a box marked "Berzerk monitor", and my co-worker who was not familiar with the game thought it was a description of the monitor's problem. Those were certainly all solid state.

colorfixer 04-30-2016 10:13 PM

According to the game's author Jed Margolin, Star Wars was planned to have a tube to defocus the crt during the death star explosion.

dieseljeep 05-07-2016 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colorfixer (Post 3105372)
The SF/SE had only one transistor if I recall correctly: the UHF oscillator.

I have an SF 12" portable hybrid set. It uses an IC for the audio circuit and a HV type audio transistor. It also has a FET for the horizontal osc transistor.
I'd have to review the schematic again. An interesting design, to be sure.

jmetal88 05-18-2016 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rca2000 (Post 3105156)
I seem to recall reading here that someone has worked on either a Centipede game or some other vintage , wonderful game--and they talked about the color monitors using TUBES !! I did NOT expect this to me the case. I expected them to contain all SS monitors, likely foreign-made and a lot of chips in the low-level ckty too. Then I read about a game that had a 6JE6 tube red-plating, likely from loss of drive or such.

True--or someone's dream??

Usually when someone who works on arcade machines refers to a tube monitor, all they mean is that it uses a CRT.

Outland 05-23-2016 03:28 AM

How were those '80s and '90s arcade boards hooked up to the tube. Composite? RGB?

N2IXK 06-07-2016 02:15 PM

Most arcade monitors I have seen used RGB signal lines, plus H and V sync...

slatton86 07-03-2016 03:08 PM

^^Correct^^ with a sync of 15khz I believe.

I went on a quest about 15 years ago trying to find computer monitors that would sync to an NES Play10 board I had, and would have liked to use it on my Genesis and SNES. I never got my hands on one, but from what I remember Samsung and Dell had the most models that could pull it off. Long after I abandoned that board I found a Sun Microsystems (I think) with RGBHV jacks on the back that probably would have worked. For some you needed to run a 5v supply on the VGA connector to brighten the picture.

lnx64 07-31-2016 03:56 PM

My Samsung TV in my sig, uses the SAME CRT used in Ms-Pacman.

centralradio 08-13-2016 12:17 AM

I was alittle confused with the topic heading at first .I had in mind of a all tube TV sets used as a arcade monitor.Some of us at home back in the 1970's probably playing the original Pong on mom and dads old all tube TV from the 1960's or an 1970's hybrid set as mom and dad watch their new TV .I have several RGB CRT monitors here from arcade games.With some electronics magic with a composite video input along with the H.V ,sync, color demode circuitry and audio amp .You can make a regular TV monitor out of it.