Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Transistor Radio (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Found a Superadio today! (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=264855)

mr_fixer 08-01-2015 08:18 AM

Found a Superadio today!

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All! Found this at a yard sale today 1 block from home, Anyone know how to remove the plastic antenna cover so i can put it on a replacement?

dieseljeep 08-01-2015 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_fixer (Post 3139753)
Hi All! Found this at a yard sale today 1 block from home, Anyone know how to remove the plastic antenna cover so i can put it on a replacement?

It seems that the plastic cover was moulded on at the time of manufacture.
Maybe you can slice it along it's length with the fine cutting wheel, by using a Dremel tool.
Chances are, the new antenna won't be the same diameter. :scratch2:
I always hated, when someone wanted a new antenna installed, it seemed, you never could get the proper replacement, even through GE.

Celt 08-02-2015 06:05 PM

Most GE radios telescoping antennas are held in by one (marked) screw.
Remove the screw and the old antenna will simply lift out.
Good luck finding one as long as that one was to fit it.

Findm-Keepm 08-02-2015 09:21 PM

Post a detailed image of the antenna mount and the length, and I can check my stash of 100-150 antennas. I got a bunch of NOS Russell and GC antennas, as well as a few RCA/Zenith/GE and Rembrandt replacements. The balance are pulls from radios and boomboxes we junked over the years.

Cheers,

mr_fixer 08-05-2015 10:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello, sorry about the delay in getting back to you. The antenna length closed is estimated at 7 inches long and about 9/32 in diameter.
I don't have a set of micrometers but i took a pic of the hinge with a dime as a reference object.

sanford12 08-15-2015 10:08 PM

Looks like you have the first version of the Super Radio. The antenna's on both version I and II had the plastic on them. Be careful if you try and split the case to replace it. The power buttons on these break easily.

Celt 08-16-2015 04:37 PM

Again....see post 3 on how to remove the antenna.

mr_fixer 08-16-2015 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celt (Post 3141035)
Again....see post 3 on how to remove the antenna.

getting the antenna out of the radio isn't a problem,i often remove the screw at the hinge. i was hoping there is a trick to remove that plastic cover/grip from the antenna rod and transfer it to the new antenna.

mr_fixer 08-16-2015 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanford12 (Post 3140997)
Looks like you have the first version of the Super Radio. The antenna's on both version I and II had the plastic on them. Be careful if you try and split the case to replace it. The power buttons on these break easily.

I found a website with superadio I docs and service proceedures http://earmark.net/gesr/sr1_manual.htm
i opened it up already to clean the volume and tone controls. I know about the power switch. i like that this radio uses a metal tuning cap instead of a varactor diode. Thanks for all of the info and advice, at least anyone else who finds a superadio will know about the weird power switch placement. Mike

Findm-Keepm 08-17-2015 12:25 PM

I have this antenna - 0.314" diameter body, with the length closed/extended being shown in the picture. If you are interested, PM me.

mr_fixer 10-16-2015 03:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well i found a replacement antenna today! At the local GW i found a RS amplified rabbit ears for $2 bucks cat number 15-1838 same diameter/ same length, but different shaped end cap. Looks good but now i have to try and see if i can remove the plastic cover and attach it to the new antenna. and i have a spare if i find another GE Superadio. :thmbsp: