Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Recorded Video (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   Interesting pick up at a Recycle Shop (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=268687)

hyperneo 03-16-2017 01:50 PM

Interesting pick up at a Recycle Shop

4 Attachment(s)
So I was walking around my recycle store and found a bunch of tapes that said "Cartrivision" I asked if they had a player for it and they brought me to 2 big boxes. Bought both of them since it seemed like something my friend would like (He is interested in old old tech, though a lack of space is a problem). I wish I could hook it up, but it has more connections than time lol...One genuinely looks like new old stock.

Anyway, here is some pics.

Electronic M 03-16-2017 03:18 PM

Wow.

If you would be interested in selling one of the machines and a couple of tapes let me know. I have a thing for oddball recording formats.

Judging by the mechanisms you have it looks like they were replacement mechs. Most Cartrivision decks were built into large console TVs (there were some standalone decks too) most had a cabinet and standard power and RF/audio/video connectors. Those are probably replacements for the decks in the TV/deck combo consoles.Those decks not having cabinets and the wiring connections they have likely need additional support circuitry that you don't have.

MadMan 03-16-2017 06:27 PM

Oh my. Never heard of that format! They look like 8 tracks!

hyperneo 03-16-2017 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electronic M (Post 3180681)
Wow.

If you would be interested in selling one of the machines and a couple of tapes let me know. I have a thing for oddball recording formats.

Judging by the mechanisms you have it looks like they were replacement mechs. Most Cartrivision decks were built into large console TVs (there were some standalone decks too) most had a cabinet and standard power and RF/audio/video connectors. Those are probably replacements for the decks in the TV/deck combo consoles.Those decks not having cabinets and the wiring connections they have likely need additional support circuitry that you don't have.

Sure, I'll see about it..problem is I have no idea on price when it comes to such things heh.

Electronic M 03-16-2017 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyperneo (Post 3180695)
Sure, I'll see about it..problem is I have no idea on price when it comes to such things heh.

I've got a range in mind. Give me a shipping quote to zip code 53072, and I'll make an offer based on how much of my range will be eaten by shipping.

Dubis7 03-16-2017 07:15 PM

Be careful. If I recall correctly, the red cartridges were intended for the rental market, and could not be rewound by a home machine. You may need a special rewinder to view those.

Electronic M 03-16-2017 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubis7 (Post 3180701)
Be careful. If I recall correctly, the red cartridges were intended for the rental market, and could not be rewound by a home machine. You may need a special rewinder to view those.

I know about that. I figure there can't be too much to the anti-rewind interlock and I can probably make my own rewinder....

hyperneo 03-16-2017 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubis7 (Post 3180701)

Oh I'm sure someone's figured out how to do it without that by now haha

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electronic M (Post 3180700)
I've got a range in mind. Give me a shipping quote to zip code 53072, and I'll make an offer based on how much of my range will be eaten by shipping.

Gimme a few days, I want to see what's happening here first. Problem is the box weighs a ton and it would need to be put into another box as that box won't survive a trip anywhere lol

ChrisW6ATV 03-18-2017 11:48 PM

Very cool find. Where is your recycle store? Those machines were developed and maybe built here in the San Francisco area, if I remember right. I came close to buying one (an open mechanism just like what you got) as my first VCR decades ago, before I found an affordable Sony Betamax machine.

hyperneo 03-19-2017 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV (Post 3180868)
Very cool find. Where is your recycle store? Those machines were developed and maybe built here in the San Francisco area, if I remember right. I came close to buying one (an open mechanism just like what you got) as my first VCR decades ago, before I found an affordable Sony Betamax machine.

I do most of my recycle shopping at weird stuff and HSC, however their prices are a little high (I'm in the Bay area too) Shopping at anything Goodwill is impossible in the bay area as everything is always picked clean.

hyperneo 03-20-2017 05:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Went back today and they handed me this, 4 boxes full of tapes. Some even sealed, new.

mgross0 03-21-2017 01:01 AM

I seem to remember a story about most of the cartridges being destroyed due to improper storage at the factory. Is there any truth to that?

hyperneo 03-22-2017 06:34 PM

I read about that, but honestly don't know. Something about mold.

ChrisW6ATV 03-26-2017 12:05 AM

Weird Stuff and Halted, yes, fun places to visit, along with the De Anza flea market each month in the spring and summer.

That is a great bunch of early home-video history.

centralradio 03-29-2017 03:45 PM

That format reminds me of the 1970's Panasonic 1/2 inch reel to reel in a cartridge.

Also an odd format is the Sanyo Vcord from the 1970's too.