Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Early Color Television (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   I know a genuine Magnetbox when I see one! (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=270444)

RetroHacker 05-12-2018 04:13 PM

I know a genuine Magnetbox when I see one!

Got a call from a friend this morning telling me I needed to get over to a garage sale, because he'd found a really old console TV that he knew I'd want.

https://i.imgur.com/o3u558P.jpg

Yes. Yes I do. He knows me well.

Now, not that I specifically needed another long console, but it's so rare to find a round color set that I couldn't not grab this. Typical high quality Magnavox console cabinet construction, with the Astro-Sonic solid state stereo chassis and Micromatic record changer.

Haven't done anything with it, it's still in my van, and it's pouring down rain right now. I've also got a lot going on this week and next, so I don't know when I'll be able to look closely at it. Currently, it's totally unknown, I have not tried it, and the previous owners hadn't had it plugged in for decades, and have no memory of whether it worked or not. This thing had been in their living room since it was new, only brought down to the basement/garage for the sale. They said that they had gotten a new TV at some point, and that replaced this, but didn't remember if the new TV had been purchased because this one broke, or because they just got a newer TV.

So... here's where we speculate on how strong the picture tube is... no cataracts, so it has that going for it. Haven't even had the back off it, so I don't know if it's the original tube or if it's been replaced at some point.

I'll be sure to update this when I check it out.

-Ian

reeferman 05-12-2018 08:09 PM

We called them MaggotVox. :D
I worked at a Magnavox dealer part time, early 70's, and our lady customers loved the consoles, especially in fruit wood.
The longer the better.
Oh my aching back.
Good luck.

SpaceAge 05-13-2018 11:46 AM

Nice find, looks like that one was well cared for. I'll be honest though, there's nothing I find more agitating than fake drawers. But I do like the TV-in-the-center look. Good luck with it!

zeno 05-13-2018 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceAge (Post 3199487)
Nice find, looks like that one was well cared for. I'll be honest though, there's nothing I find more agitating than fake drawers. But I do like the TV-in-the-center look. Good luck with it!

You wouldnt believe how many women would pull on the
decorative knobs. Sorry ma'm fake drawers........
Well if nothing else you have a great cabinet. Too bad the amp isnt
tubes.

73 Zeno:smoke:
LFOD !

Electronic M 05-13-2018 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeno (Post 3199492)
You wouldnt believe how many women would pull on the
decorative knobs. Sorry ma'm fake drawers........
Well if nothing else you have a great cabinet. Too bad the amp isnt
tubes.

73 Zeno:smoke:
LFOD !

Lol.

If it did have a tube amp part of me would be jelly.

DavGoodlin 05-14-2018 12:06 PM

Picture did not come thru on my browser, so have a look at the model number. I can link you to the Magnavox catalogs on vintagehifi.net If it is a 1964/5 model with the U430/450 (43 or 45-series) chassis, it is not an RCA clone.

I saw an "oriental 21" combo at our local swap-meet. It was only $75 with a good but cataracted 21FJP22. that particular combo was lower-priced without Mag's usual doors to cover the CRT. It also had the lowest grade of Astrosonic receiver, which can be upgraded to a more powerful one. I did not have the money or the space at the present time, so I made a note to look for it at the fall swap meet.

WISCOJIM 05-14-2018 02:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavGoodlin (Post 3199510)
I saw an "oriental 21" combo at our local swap-meet. It was only $75 with a good but cataracted 21FJP22. that particular combo was lower-priced without Mag's usual doors to cover the CRT. It also had the lowest grade of Astrosonic receiver, which can be upgraded to a more powerful one. I did not have the money or the space at the present time, so I made a note to look for it at the fall swap meet.

I'll guess it was this one:

http://www.videokarma.org/attachment...1&d=1526325252

Photo credit John Hagstar.

RetroHacker 05-14-2018 07:33 PM

Well, sad news update. Got it in the house finally, pulled the back off, and... there's a brightener on it. Got the tube on the CRT tester now, it's very weak on all three guns. Letting it cook to see if it will wake up, but I'm wagering that it probably won't, judging from how many hours this chassis seems to have on it. Several replaced tubes, the HOT is fairly zorched looking, a cardboard electrolytic cap jammed between the metal cans and wired in quickly, etc.

-Ian

Electronic M 05-14-2018 07:54 PM

Maybe it will be bright enough with the brightener on it...If it is may as well enjoy what is left and use it till it dies.

DavGoodlin 05-16-2018 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WISCOJIM (Post 3199514)
I'll guess it was this one:

http://www.videokarma.org/attachment...1&d=1526325252

Photo credit John Hagstar.

Yes, correct Jim. I would have bought it too, had I been able to get paid for work on something else, which I did not get done.:sigh: I have several Magnavox tube console players but no TV's anymore.

I have a better grade Astrosonic receiver that would drop right in. This was a low-end held-over 1965 model, listed at $750 along with "new" rectangular color sets featured in the same 1966 brochure.

Retrohacker, can you post some more pictures. Maggie roundies are absolutely no worse than the 904, 920 and 933 chassis of later years. Solder joints, video amp issues, low boost G2 voltage make them look BAAD even though the CRT's are mildly soft. That alone sold many a CRT IIRC.