Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Antique Radio (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   admiral hi-fi curb find (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=269883)

john f 12-15-2017 08:40 PM

admiral hi-fi curb find

3 Attachment(s)
Found this on the curb while at work. Mostly functional as found, cap cans stay nice and cool. One broken wire on the AM antenna, but the FM is way off from the dial. For example, my local classic rock station is 104.3, but it is located around 100 on the dial on this. Chassis is 7N1 tuner and 4S2 amp. Thoughts?

MadMan 12-15-2017 09:58 PM

Is the AM off as well?

It's a really good looking set.

Electronic M 12-15-2017 10:02 PM

8 tube tuner, mono with push-pull 6V6 amp, transformer powered, attractive case....Aside from not being stereo, what is there not to like?

Probably needs caps, idler wheel, and pickup cartridge, and FM local oscillator adjustment...Once those are refreshed it should happily go another 60 years.

old_tv_nut 12-15-2017 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electronic M (Post 3193510)
Probably needs ... FM local oscillator adjustment...

Maybe check the dial stringing / pointer location first?

john f 12-16-2017 07:49 AM

needle is on the money for AM. Dial string was my thought initially until i checked am. Looks like separate tuners to me.

dieseljeep 12-16-2017 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john f (Post 3193523)
needle is on the money for AM. Dial string was my thought initially until i checked am. Looks like separate tuners to me.

It uses a German FM tuner unit, like many US firms used at the time. There's one string protruding from the unit that is spring return. Make sure it's around the pulleys provided for it. It's actually a good arrangment! :thmbsp:

old_tv_nut 12-16-2017 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieseljeep (Post 3193527)
It uses a German FM tuner unit, like many US firms used at the time. There's one string protruding from the unit that is spring return. Make sure it's around the pulleys provided for it. It's actually a good arrangment! :thmbsp:

Yep, my thought was to look for all sources of mechanical slippage before tuning anything.

Dude111 12-16-2017 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john f
...One broken wire on the AM antenna, but the FM is way off from the dial. For example, my local classic rock station is 104.3, but it is located around 100 on the dial on this.

Wow you can tune way above 107.9 on that then!!

What do you hear when you goto the high end of the band bud? (Might hear some airplanes)

A good find!

dieseljeep 12-17-2017 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude111 (Post 3193558)
Wow you can tune way above 107.9 on that then!!

What do you hear when you goto the high end of the band bud? (Might hear some airplanes)

A good find!

Looking at top view of the tuner, it looks as though someone has been playing around with the adjustment screws.
Find out which one is the oscillator and try to get it to track properly.

Celt 12-17-2017 10:19 AM

Agreed....needs to be re-aligned.

dieseljeep 12-17-2017 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celt (Post 3193573)
Agreed....needs to be re-aligned.

I worked on one of those before! Just the FM tuner unit needs it, not the IF's.
Information is in Sams 404. About a 1958 model.
I like the old-time 6SN7 1st amp and phase inverter in the amp chassis.

Celt 12-17-2017 01:25 PM

6SN7 and dual 6V6GT's are a classic combination!

john f 12-17-2017 07:34 PM

Over 104 or so I haven't heard anything come through, but I'm in the nyc metro area (northern nj) so I wouldn't be surprised to hear airplanes.

Would any of you kind sirs have a scan of the sams?
Would it be possible there is a resistor out of range in the tuner that is causing this issue? The joker messing with the tuner adjustments was me...i found a strong station and did get it to move towards where it was supposed to be, but not enough. I'm thinking if a resistor is too far out i might not have enough adjustment to compensate.

dieseljeep 12-18-2017 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john f (Post 3193612)
Over 104 or so I haven't heard anything come through, but I'm in the nyc metro area (northern nj) so I wouldn't be surprised to hear airplanes.

Would any of you kind sirs have a scan of the sams?
Would it be possible there is a resistor out of range in the tuner that is causing this issue? The joker messing with the tuner adjustments was me...i found a strong station and did get it to move towards where it was supposed to be, but not enough. I'm thinking if a resistor is too far out i might not have enough adjustment to compensate.

Try a new 6BQ7 tube. It might be weak and wont oscillate that high. The tuner might have been used on AM all the time, therefore the tube didn't get any plate voltage.
You can use a 6BZ7, 6BC8 or maybe a 6BK7, there's others in the sub guide.

DavGoodlin 01-04-2018 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieseljeep (Post 3193527)

That German tuner is why my Motorola consoles are extremely sensitive, very selective and easy to tune. About equal to the Zeniths IMHO. I have tons of those 6BZ7's