Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Solid State CRT Televisions (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   The Things People Throw Away (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=257803)

Firebird 04-14-2013 03:43 AM

In some parts of the country they never turned uhf off.

Firebird 04-14-2013 11:03 AM

Realigned convergance on Sony KV-40XBR800. Now it looks like new.

Dude111 04-16-2013 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firebird
Look at what someone threw out in the carport. Must have got a new flat screen for Christmas. 299 at walmart. I was told to pick it up. Where not even at home and a rain storm was coming.

Curtis Mathes M2662RH, was 1600 in 1986.
Filthy when i got it and paint spots. Dusted it off.
Plugged it in.
Look at it now. Even has a working radio.

Wow a radio also???

She is beautiful buddy!!!

People are fools and dont realise what they are getting rid of!!!

YamahaFreak 04-22-2013 01:38 PM

Wait, back up the train...somebody curbed an XBR800?? For the love of...

I lusted over those sets when they cost $4k new..I finally got one a few years ago on Craigslist. $240, clean, low hours, original remote. I'm still looking for the original SU-40XBR8 stand, and a replacement front control panel door/cover. I love this TV; probably the best I've ever owned...

Firebird 04-22-2013 07:16 PM

Sure did His wife bought a flat panel and wanted it out, He did not want to but she insisted. Took a year to get all the parts and straighten it out. Had that pesky chip problem among others. Is beautiful now.

YamahaFreak 04-23-2013 08:15 AM

I know I won't be getting rid of mine until it is well and truly beyond repair! :yes:

I don't know why, but I have been finding an increasing number of working sets in the trash. Just last week I saw a perfectly working 50-inch Toshiba TheaterView rear projector get destroyed for scrap...

lnx64 04-23-2013 08:45 AM

I'm keeping my Samsung in my sig. I will keep it till the tube wears out. Then I'll replace the tube and recap the set.

I want to be able to pass it down. It was my first big CRT TV repair and I'm proud of it.

truetone36 04-23-2013 08:52 PM

Just picked up a Zenith console off the curb 4 blocks from home. 23" CRT, single varactor tuner from July of '82. Not one single scratch or ding in the cabinet. I'll check out if it works or not tomorrow.

Firebird 05-19-2013 11:18 PM

I guess no one appreciates quality anymore.

holmesuser01 05-20-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firebird (Post 3069740)
I guess no one appreciates quality anymore.

It's not that. People are driven by the least expensive idea, and have been brainwashed into thinking that even if they buy a more expensive version of what they are looking at, it's still going to break down and die right after the warranty runs out, so why waste the money?

I'm from an era when a washing machine could easily last 30 years. Same for a refrigerator. Those days are gone now.

Maytag of Iowa used to advertise the long-life of their washing machine designs. That changed in the mid to late 1980's, when they went to a plastic transmission.

I own a GE refrigerator that was built in 1966. It's keeping soft drinks ice cold. I also have a Whirlpool washer and dryer pair built in 1970. They are used daily, with no issues in over ten years. Parts are no longer available for them from Whirlpool. This is their way to get rid of them and make us buy something new that might last 8 years, if really lucky.

AiboPet 05-20-2013 03:09 PM

Was it Maytag that used to run the "lonely repair man" ads?...where Maytag machines were so reliable the repairman never heard from anyone.

Nobody seems to advertise "durability" anymore....like the Gorilla beating up the suitcases and stuff. Now it's just "latest and greatest"....and no longer "you won't buy another one for a long time"

holmesuser01 05-20-2013 05:14 PM

I love seeing people when they buy a house replacing the appliances because they are NOT stainless steel.

Right. Maytag had the lonely repairman series of commercials. My mom has a 1980 Maytag pair that has never had service of any kind.

wa2ise 05-20-2013 05:48 PM

Today the repairman is lonely because it ain't worth having today's junk fixed... :(

holmesuser01 05-20-2013 05:53 PM

I repaired my kitchen microwave. It's a 1988 Sharp unit with convection cooking, and a turntable. Replaced the magnatron and capacitor and diode for $66.

I guarantee that this unit will outlast any new model that I could have bought instead.

First and only repairs ever done, too. Now, back to our topic.

zeno 05-21-2013 08:42 AM

I did a little time in appliances. My sister asked what washer to buy.
I told her a 30 year old Maytag. She didnt & regrets it.....
Redid kitchen. New DW & MWO. Both weigh about a third of
the old Kitchen Aid & Quasar. Flimsy crap.
Bought a new box 5 yrs ago. Amana (whirlpool) defrost heater
opened. Part NLA at 3 yrs. Called the cat I got it from. He
brought over some others & got one to fit. Bring back the
mom & pop stores, big box wont do that for you. He also
told me whirlpool quietly bought back all the extended waranties
on mine & others. Most of the times its best to keep the
old stuff going if you can.
Enuf

73 Zeno