Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Solid State CRT Televisions (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Can a Zenith 9-160-030 sub for a 9-160-05? (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=265299)

Electronic M 09-25-2015 08:31 PM

Can a Zenith 9-160-030 sub for a 9-160-05?

Like the title says, I want to know if they can safely interchange.

I have a NICELY working 13" that uses the 030 and a nonworking 19" space phone set that uses the 05. The 05 looks like it has had a hard life....many burned and bridged traces lots of wear, evidence of servicing, etc, and I'd like to confirm it is the problem by substitution with a known good module before I jump in and try to fix it at the component level (assuming there is enough left of the 05 to fix).

Gunslinger 09-25-2015 09:52 PM

I think the 03 was subbed to an 05. you're going backwards.

Findm-Keepm 09-25-2015 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electronic M (Post 3144618)
Like the title says, I want to know if they can safely interchange.

I have a NICELY working 13" that uses the 030 and a nonworking 19" space phone set that uses the 05. The 05 looks like it has had a hard life....many burned and bridged traces lots of wear, evidence of servicing, etc, and I'd like to confirm it is the problem by substitution with a known good module before I jump in and try to fix it at the component level (assuming there is enough left of the 05 to fix).

Edit - Not according to Zenith. The -04 is the only sub for the -05
http://videokarma.org/attachment.php...7&d=1440701676
http://videokarma.org/attachment.php...8&d=1440701676
http://videokarma.org/attachment.php...9&d=1440701676
CRSP CRSP CRSP - that is the Zenith compatibility manual - remember the title, and the search is easier:

http://videokarma.org/showpost.php?p...89&postcount=7

Cheers!

Electronic M 09-25-2015 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm (Post 3144630)
CRSP CRSP CRSP - that is the Zenith compatibility manual - remember the title, and the search is easier:

http://videokarma.org/showpost.php?p...89&postcount=7

Cheers!

It's the first time I've worked on a SS Zenith.

Thanks, but that manual lists no subs for 9-160-03 (but it does not say to NOT use any specific variant), and 05 crosses to 04.....It is inconclusive. Perhaps I should just hook it in, start my variac at 70V, and hope I get picture and not smoke.:scratch2:

andy 09-26-2015 04:16 AM

walterbeers 09-26-2015 06:14 AM

Seems to me when I was working on those Zeniths back in the days, I used to sub those. However I would look at both of those boards and see what differences and changes were made between them. I don't believe you will smoke anything out by subbing them. I'd go ahead a give it a try. Can't hurt. If it doesn't work, at least then you will know.

Findm-Keepm 09-26-2015 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy (Post 3144647)
It will probably work, but I would imagine the HV for a 13" is lower than a 19". If you don't have HV, it's almost has to be the 9-160.

??? Not according to the CRSP - Zenith's definitive word on modules. In the beginning of the System 3 series, Zenith had a high rate of return on modules, and determined that techs weren't following the manual - weren't checking for proper Horiz drive, B+ and so on when swapping modules. The CRSP wasn't in independent service techs hands, so they got a mailing list for shops and mailed each one a CRSP. The result was a drop in module returns (Surprise, that module is not for that set....!) and in a humorous note, some techs wrote Zenith and asked for a subscription to the CRSP. Zenith actually added those independents to a list, and when the CRSP got updated, they got new CRSP manuals.

At one Zenith Seminar in early 84 (I attended with my dad's former boss, A Zenith dealer), they showed a set that was serviced using the wrong module, not sure of the combo, but swapping the wrong module had damaged another module. They also showed off a mod to the ultrasonic remote tester that allowed a tech to check for horizontal drive, a test that allowed you to isolate the fault to the correct module. The ultrasonic remote tester we had already had the IR mod, but I brought back the mod sheet and modded ours - just a resistor and coupling cap - the whole tester was built around an op amp driving an LED to show the pulsing of the remote signal, or with the Horizontal drive mod, the pulsing of the drive signal.

Bottom line is, use the CRSP and avoid the problems. It also lists all the duramodules and some digital modules. I have scanned about 80% and posted in various threads - just search CRSP.

Cheers,

zeno 09-26-2015 08:18 AM

I swapped hundreds of 9-160's
IIRC -03 subs to -05
-04 subs to -06
there was also a -08 ( rare) that subbed back to one of them.
An 05 or an 06 will sub ANY 9-160 between them.

IIRC you can not put the wrong one in due to the
yoke plug without forcing it & busting the skt.

IIRC also the newer subs used a multivibrater to kick
start the set & the old ones a transformer etc.

On some, remotes IIRC there is also a cable that gets
left off on a sub. Plugged on top & had 2 wires. Just
tie it off out of the way.

73 Zeno:smoke:

rrrhre2s 09-26-2015 04:55 PM

9-160-05R Was the 25Kv HV Module.

9-160-06R Was the 30Kv HV Module.

9-160-08 or 09 were not available as rebuilt as far as I know.

Does anyone have an older CRSP book I was thinking until the 08 and 09 came out it was odd suffix subbed odd suffix and even suffix subbed even.

The one above:

9-160-05 = 9-160-04

9-160-06 = 9-160-04

Which most likely isn't correct ?

Why would Zenith have made both the 05 and 06 as rebuilt replacements ?

9-160-05 would sub an 9-160-03 but not an 06.

9-160-06 would sub an 9-160-04 but not an 05.

But the 08 and 09 mixed things up a bit.

I think I still have the service seminar for the 9-160 series book somewhere.

Then 2 weeks later the told us not to repair any of them exchange only.

rrrhre2s

radiotvnut 09-26-2015 06:48 PM

I've repaired a lot of them and have even replaced arcing flyback transformers on them; but, I always installed a used flyback (usually, in something I was fixing for resell) because the local parts house didn't have them. I was told that Zenith didn't offer the flyback by itself and when it failed, they wanted you to replace the whole board.

zeno 09-26-2015 09:45 PM

Never put an FBT in one. The FBT probably was a $30+ part & the whole board a little over $50 Xchange. Swapping the board takes 5 mn,
changing the FBT adds time & wait for part. In the house only
changed board or resoldered. If it had a shorted HOT we changed the board. Other things like PC cons, filter cans, the 32 V regulator
we would fix only on carry ins.
We tried a few HOT's but like a Sony they often ran perfect for weeks
then on a turn on BANG. If you gotta make a living you dont
want that over your head. Fix it fast & keep the customer happy.
Gotta remember this is one of the 3 most complex sets built as
far as PS/Hoz sweep goes. RCA SCR & ITR sets ( and clones) & Sonys with 2 SG613's were the others.

73 Zeno:smoke:

Quote:

Originally Posted by radiotvnut (Post 3144715)
I've repaired a lot of them and have even replaced arcing flyback transformers on them; but, I always installed a used flyback (usually, in something I was fixing for resell) because the local parts house didn't have them. I was told that Zenith didn't offer the flyback by itself and when it failed, they wanted you to replace the whole board.

Electronic M 09-26-2015 10:12 PM

Okay, I'm going to at next opportunity try to swap the boards. If it works with the 160 from my good set, then I'll try to fix the bad board, and if that fails buy another.

rrrhre2s 09-27-2015 05:36 AM

Quote:

and if that fails buy another
I thought the stream of 9-160 modules dried up 15 years ago ?

Or do you mean another set ?

Beware I have had the 9-152 to damage the 9-160 rare but possible.

Found the training manual for the 9-160 service seminar, quaint reading today.

I had forgotten just how complicated that board was in it's day.

Anybody forgotten the Motorola (Quasar) JA panel ? (was too far ahead of the technology at the time)

rrrhre2s

jbattles 09-27-2015 08:25 AM

They never seemed complicated to me. Very easy to figure out. I never bought a rebuilt board. I always fixed them myself those sets paid the bills.

Findm-Keepm 09-27-2015 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrrhre2s (Post 3144709)

Does anyone have an older CRSP book I was thinking until the 08 and 09 came out it was odd suffix subbed odd suffix and even suffix subbed even.

The one above:

9-160-05 = 9-160-04

9-160-06 = 9-160-04

Which most likely isn't correct ?

7 CRSP manuals, two from the service caddy, and they all say the same.. The one above is a scan from the blue CRSP, believed to be the last one we used, as the others are stained, dog-eared, and dirty. One doesn't even list the -08 or -09, so probably old. The sequence adds models, no additional information or cross. Our first four or so came as hand-me-downs from a Zenith dealer, and the last few, were included in module orders from Zenith/Bluefield Distributing.

Everyone with "I imagine, IIRC, and I seem to think" - Zenith says otherwise. I have no problems with what others do with their sets - just passing on the facts from Zenith. If someone has contradictory CRSPs, please post for the benefit of all.

Edit: Somewhere I have the PTS Electronics cross reference as well - I'm gonna dig it up and scan that - they may have other info as well...