Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Antique Radio (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Re: Stereo tube Sets (Delmonico aka JVC, etc.) (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=41429)

TryHiFi 06-20-2005 05:29 AM

Re: Stereo tube Sets (Delmonico aka JVC, etc.)

Anyone have any favorite tube sets with stereo? It seems as tube sets go these should be the rarest with the best potential for really great sound.

I purchased a Delmonico Nivico (JVC) table radio am/fm (ca.1960?) that will need to be restored, but what appealed to me the most was the fact that it was a stereo receiver. Hunting up info on Delmonico is difficult as they were apparently an large importer/retailer and not a manufacturer. I see them as somewhat of a "Sharper Image" for the fifties & sixties. JVC's website is horrific and the web doesn't provide as much Japanese tube radio information as one might hope for.

Most of the stereo table tube radios I've come across have been Japanese. Anyone have any favorite stereo table units/experiences to share? The short window of opportunity for stereo tube-based table radio production makes finding out about the models/makers that provided stereo signal separation hard.

Again any web resources, info, stories, etcetera would be welcomed. :)

OvenMaster 06-20-2005 07:48 AM

I remember a Sears imitator chainstore named "Jack and Harry's" that sold Delmonico consoles back in the 60's when I was small. I remember always being impressed even at that age by how classy they looked. People seemed to buy them when they couldn't afford Zeniths or Magnavoxes, or even Silvertones!
Tom

Pete Deksnis 06-20-2005 11:49 AM

USA-made Granco Stereo FM tube...

Here's a link to my Granco stereo page.

http://home.att.net/~pldexnis/granco...nion_story.htm

Nice idea for a thread.

Pete

Sandy G 06-20-2005 12:10 PM

I have a Motorola tabletop w/detachable speakers that announces to the word it is "FM STEREOPHONIC"....Works, but really oughta go see Terry DeWick to be back 100%. Looks to be early '60's. Nice wooden cabinet-it's amazing what we used to be able to make in this country...-Sandy G.

mhardy6647 06-20-2005 12:47 PM

I have a Delmonico-branded AM/FM/SW two speaker table radio... not stereo though. Needs new P/S filter cap(s). All I know about it is that it happens to be in the 1964 Radio Shack catalog I have.

Tom Bavis 06-20-2005 03:59 PM

I have a Silvertone AM/FM stereo radio and a spare for parts. Picture (of the rougher one) and schematic on my radio page: http://www.audiophool.cjb.net/radio.html

Jeffhs 06-22-2005 07:47 PM

In the early '60s (1962-63 I think), Zenith introduced its MJ1035 AM/FM stereo tube type radio. Never heard one working or even saw one up close, but having been made by the original Zenith Radio Corporation it must have been a great-sounding unit in its day. I saw one of these the other day on ebay (actually, they show up every once in a while), with the external speaker and even a cart to hold the entire system. First time I've ever seen an MJ1035 system like this with the matching cart; most I've seen are either the radio alone or the radio with the external speaker for stereo. However, they are almost always in great shape and supposedly work well. I have yet to see a basket-case MJ1035; most Zenith owners took far better care of their sets (MJ1035s and other Zenith models) than to let them fall apart; moreover, most owners kept their Zeniths for years. I would think most other early AM/FM stereo radios from companies like Sears-Silvertone, RCA, et al. (and let's don't forget those great old German sets like Grundig, etc.) are just as good as Zenith, but most older stereo radios of any major manufacturer had better sound, better FM sensitivity/selectivity, etc. than the crummy stuff coming off the lines today. They don't make them like that anymore. :no:

mhardy6647 06-22-2005 08:47 PM

Quote:

In the early '60s (1962-63 I think), Zenith introduced its MJ1035 AM/FM stereo tube type radio. Never heard one working or even saw one up close, but having been made by the original Zenith Radio Corporation it must have been a great-sounding unit in its day
:-P Thought I had one of these, too! Just went downstairs to look. The Zenith I have says model X347W on the back. It too is AM/FM stereo (with phono inputs) and a separate 2nd channel speaker. It's a series set, not too high end. Found this one at the dump (imagine that) in very good shape.

EDIT: Is this the one in question?
http://ebayimages.goantiques.com/dbi...10231_1000.jpg

The radio and speaker look just like the ones I have (no cart though). I did NOT see the MJ1035 number on the back though. Is that a chassis number?

Tom Bavis 06-22-2005 09:58 PM

The Sams index lists two versions - MJ1035W and MJ1035W1. The latter (Sams 751-9) is also listed as the number for the X347W - so I guess they're the same, at least internally...

Nolan Woodbury 06-22-2005 10:40 PM

As I recall reading somewhere, the main radio/tuner has an 8 tube chassis and the extension speaker has a mini-map powered by two more. Correct? Isn't that a volume knob on the lower, left-hand corner of the extension speaker?

One was on eBay last week (don't remember seeing the cart though, might have been a different one) that was listed for second week because no one bid on it the fist go 'round. At $39.00 I was tempted...but forgot to check in late and give it a go. I want one!

Nolan Woodbury 06-22-2005 11:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This 'Photofact' sheet is currently listed on eBay. # 5756328010. Note the date: 8-63.

Tom Bavis 06-23-2005 09:07 AM

So 12 tubes, single ended outputs, transformer power supply. The Sams for the "W1" version is dated 1965. A friend of mine has one of these, though he's missing the stereo speaker.

mhardy6647 06-23-2005 09:23 AM

oy, I assumed it was a series set... I'm pleased to see it's not. Mine's got some hum as I recall; guess I should re-hab it. I can post a photo of it if anyone's interested...

Chad Hauris 06-23-2005 09:31 AM

Some of these Zenith AM/FM sets used a power transformer as a plate transformer only or may use an autotransformer setup and have one end of the power line still connected to the chassis...double check before assuming chassis is isolated.

mhardy6647 06-23-2005 01:00 PM

Quote:

...or may use an autotransformer setup...
Why, those sadists!

EDIT: I don't think there's any electronics in the 'extension speaker' (IIRC). The "knob" you see is an emblem (again, IIRC).