Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=170)
-   -   RCA "phono attachment" hook-up question (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=269646)

decojoe67 10-14-2017 09:52 AM

RCA "phono attachment" hook-up question

I have an 1938 RCA 811K console and would like to add an R-100 bakelite phono attachments to it. On the rear of the chassis of the radio it has screw input terminals. The phono has a single RCA jack. Not being a tech, I'm wondering if there is a way I can go from the RCA jack to a two prong output from the phono. Any help is much appreciated. Joe

Electronic M 10-14-2017 12:19 PM

Get an RCA jack the opposite gender of that on the phono (radio shack or on line vendor). Attach two wires to the jacks two terminals, attach said wires to radio, and see how it works.

So easy I could have and did do stuff like that when I was 5 years old. :D

Celt 10-14-2017 02:00 PM

Those early radio input were expecting a high output crystal cartridge to be connected to them of say, 2 to 3 volts. So any line level, 2 volt source should work fine.

dieseljeep 10-15-2017 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by decojoe67 (Post 3190734)
I have an 1938 RCA 811K console and would like to add an R-100 bakelite phono attachments to it. On the rear of the chassis of the radio it has screw input terminals. The phono has a single RCA jack. Not being a tech, I'm wondering if there is a way I can go from the RCA jack to a two prong output from the phono. Any help is much appreciated. Joe

Look up the information on the R100 phono attachment in Riders vol. 10. It shows the proceedure for connecting the phono to the terminal strip, using the then available RCA switch. See the schematic in Riders 8 for 811.

decojoe67 10-15-2017 12:49 PM

Thanks for your help! Joe

dieseljeep 10-20-2017 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electronic M (Post 3190745)
Get an RCA jack the opposite gender of that on the phono (radio shack or on line vendor). Attach two wires to the jacks two terminals, attach said wires to radio, and see how it works.

So easy I could have and did do stuff like that when I was 5 years old. :D

I didn't have the chance until I was at least 8 years old. :thmbsp:

David Roper 10-20-2017 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieseljeep (Post 3191037)
I didn't have the chance until I was at least 8 years old. :thmbsp:

Kiss and tell, kiss and tell! :zoom:

I couldn't have been more than 5, maybe 6, when I picked out a 6-JY-1 from a neighbor's yard sale and, once home, did the only logical thing to a 5 or 6 yo, which was to cut the RCA plug off and wire a crystal earphone onto the bared ends. Nothing in life has worked according to plan so well and so easily since....