Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Solid State CRT Televisions (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Television Technology In 1992-1994 (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=254365)

DavGoodlin 05-24-2012 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electronic M (Post 3036148)
If you are talking about the 4 pin video connector SVHS is not the correct name for it S-video is (the S is for separate as in the chroma and luminance signals are separate). SVHS is a video tape recording format. These terms tend to get mixed up quite often by most people BTW.

Thanks Tom, I was thinking they were the same since I see it so often. :DS-video output from a Channel Master CM-7000 set-top box looks especially good on this set.:D

ChrisW6ATV 05-24-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electronic M (Post 3036148)
If you are talking about the 4 pin video connector SVHS is not the correct name for it S-video is (the S is for separate as in the chroma and luminance signals are separate). SVHS is a video tape recording format. These terms tend to get mixed up quite often by most people BTW.

The same thing happens when a "VGA" input is mentioned. That connector is called an HD-15. VGA was the IBM name for their (then) high-performance computer output signal, Video Graphics Array.

Outland 05-24-2012 03:46 PM

Well, I've tracked down a high-end Sony locally.

It doesn't have S-video though, which concerns me. Why is that, I thought S-video was designed in 1987?

In any case, what do you think? I like colors, and those early 90's sets that I remember had fantastic color.

The quality of the picture also seems to depend on the quality of the TV. Some TVs have excellent pictures with RF, while others look awful over S-video.

Should I also check for anything? I know streaking reds are bad, but not much else.

Electronic M 05-24-2012 10:57 PM

Many sets that had video inputs omitted S-video since many consumers didn't have the good quality equip to take advantage of it.....It seems a bit more normal for an older Sony to lack it as they were the pioneers of the Beta video tape standard which they were by then having to begrudgingly drop due to poor sales at the time (I seem to recall that S-video was made to go with SVHS decks).

ChrisW6ATV 05-25-2012 12:17 AM

Y/C connections go back at least to the Commodore 64 computer in ~1983 (but not with a four-pin mini-DIN connector). S-video connections were a step up from composite video, so they were not universal even once composite inputs were.

Outland 05-25-2012 10:16 PM

Ah, I see.

Is there anything I should check when I look at the TV?

ChrisW6ATV 05-26-2012 02:54 AM

In the 80s and 90s, I was a pure Sony snob, and I bought only their top-of-the-line sets. From 1989-1995, I had a Sony XBR Pro 25-inch monitor with separate tuner that displayed an amazing picture from Laser Discs and was quite good with broadcast signals as well (and cable on the channels that had good signals). So, I do not know much about other brands or lower-end Sony sets in those years.

To evaluate a set of that era now, you should set the color control to minimum (so it looks black-and-white), and watch the overall tint of its picture when first turned on, and also compare the overall tint and sharpness with the contrast very low versus very high. If it is anything other than proper shades of gray during these tests (other than in the first ten seconds or so when first turned on), or if it gets blurry with high contrast compared to low, then the CRT is quite possibly weak. (Very small amounts of off-tint can be adjusted out with internal service controls, though.)

You will need to use a digital-TV tuner "converter box" or a cable box with TV channel-3 output to test any sets of that era, if you care about the RF input; many Sony sets had problems with their tuners in that period.

Outland 05-26-2012 10:45 AM

Thank you very much for the information.

So this set isn't a high-end set?

ChrisW6ATV 05-27-2012 02:57 AM

It does look like a nice set in the pictures I found.

Outland 05-28-2012 02:42 PM

If a high-end set in 1990 had composite and optional S-video, what would a high-end Sony TV have in 1996? Component? Flat tube?

Pretty interesting.

Trance88 06-24-2012 02:27 PM

My parents bought a 1991 (close enough to this topic's era of interest imo) 19" Fisher TV that lasted untill late 2001 when the picture started developing a strange folding over, warm up expansion/stretching problem (image was collapsed and folded over on startup, but continued to expand over a half hour period). It had bad caps somewhere I'm sure, but when it worked properly, it had a beautiful picture. It had remote control, stereo sound, on screen display, and composite A/V inputs with audio output. Still probably one of the best TV's I've had.

andy 06-24-2012 08:35 PM

Outland 06-26-2012 12:04 AM

Thanks for the information, Andy.

I've always felt that 27" was too large, 20" was always the perfect size for me. But for every 20", there seems to be 5 27" Sony sets. Kind of strange.

I guess I'll just hope to find one.

dewdude 06-29-2012 10:15 AM

Let me just add this:

TVs with RGB input, usually, *will not* accept component video.

Reason being, component video uses YPbPr encoding. Its luma (Y), blue difference (Pb) and red difference (Pr). Yes, it uses red, green, and blue cables; but its not the same as pure RGB, which is basically sending a full bandwidh luma signal of each color component.

When component video started becomming standard, a lot of people thought they could get a VGA to 3 rca adapter and hook the TV up to the computer. Sometimes it worked; the computer would output a proper HDTV YPbPr signal; or the TV happen to accept an RGB signal.

Outland 01-15-2018 05:48 AM

I finally found one, a Trinitron KV-20TS20. It's from 1989, and doesn't have s-video, but I figure it's the best I'll find.

Quote:

Sony and Toshiba were nice, but the CRT's did not have the longevity, so take a good look at the picture.
Quote:

Sony's were a decent set; but, the CRT's tended to go bad after a few years.
The CRT on this Sony is strong, I guess it wasn't used much. How can I keep it strong? I reduced picture from 100% to 50%, and calibrated the black level (which was already pretty much perfect for 7.5 IRE).