Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Vintage Home Gaming (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   Found a Magnavox CD-I game system for $2 today (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=264406)

pac.attack76 06-03-2015 09:35 PM

Found a Magnavox CD-I game system for $2 today

picked it up at a yard sale today for $2 while buying vcrs. I had an idea what it was after looking. A big score for me today.:thmbsp:

Dude111 06-04-2015 12:09 AM

Yea you got alot buddy!!

rca2000 06-04-2015 12:36 AM

I have one of those--a "Phillips" branded one. Got the light gun and such too.
bouthg it off of a guy I worked wiht at Tandy service--in 1996 or so.

at the TIME..it was a lot of fun. had games like seventh guest, crime patrol, mad dog macree, Voyuer, etc.

Also a few movies. I think Rain man is one.

havent lit it off in years...

pac.attack76 06-04-2015 06:06 PM

First time ive seen a real one. Always saw commercials and ads but nothing actual. i have mad dog II for old pc. be interesting to play this thing.

ChrisW6ATV 06-05-2015 11:18 PM

I remember those briefly, and the MPEG decoder module add-ons that allowed a predecessor to DVDs to play on them. There was even a Pioneer combo machine that also played Laser Discs as well as the CDs, if I remember right.

pac.attack76 06-06-2015 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV (Post 3135362)
I remember those briefly, and the MPEG decoder module add-ons that allowed a predecessor to DVDs to play on them. There was even a Pioneer combo machine that also played Laser Discs as well as the CDs, if I remember right.

Yeah, Pioneer LaserActive played Turbografx and sega games. Expensive.

StellarTV 06-12-2015 10:23 PM

Cool! I saw one of these in the box at an estate sale (it was actually full of vintage tvs ad the guy had every media format under the sun.) Somehow, though someone else bought it, I ended up finding one of the controllers for it in a separate box of items I bought. Yay.

pac.attack76 06-13-2015 09:01 AM

Sounds like it would have been a great haul. This one didnt come with a controller/remote so now im on the hunt for one.

slatton86 12-01-2015 07:51 AM

I did a 32x mod on one of those for a customer a few years ago. On top a the Genesis and Turbografx it also happens to be an excellent LD player. The customer also wanted an S-Video mod but I talked them out of it. S-Video mods look good on the Genesis but not worth the trouble, but most importantly LD's are a composite signal stored on disc. S-Video will actually degrade the picture quality in this case. I did recap it though, and he was very impressed with the picture he got over composite.

Just a side note, I would give my left testicle to have one of these with both modules in my collection.

slatton86 12-01-2015 07:54 AM

CD-I is a fun machine as well, but with all the focus towards putting them in education and lack of software they never made it. That's a great find for $2.

MRX37 12-23-2015 08:14 AM

$2.00?!

Seems a bit pricey considering the machine's capabilities.

Then again it did indirectly provide loads of entertainment, just not the kind that was originally envisioned.

Oh, by the way on a more serious note check the timekeeper chip in it. If it hasn't been changed or modded then the battery is probably dead in it by now. This could mean anything from games not saving to more serious system issues.

pac.attack76 12-23-2015 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRX37 (Post 3152102)
$2.00?!

Seems a bit pricey considering the machine's capabilities.

Then again it did indirectly provide loads of entertainment, just not the kind that was originally envisioned.

Oh, by the way on a more serious note check the timekeeper chip in it. If it hasn't been changed or modded then the battery is probably dead in it by now. This could mean anything from games not saving to more serious system issues.

I hadn't noticed anything yet. Ran Hotel Mario and one other game. But then again, I can't control anything or check due to it not having a controller.

MRX37 12-23-2015 08:22 AM

Not even the remote control?

pac.attack76 12-23-2015 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRX37 (Post 3152105)
Not even the remote control?

It didn't come with one. Idiots probably lost it. They thought it was just an old cd player for a stereo.

MRX37 12-23-2015 09:14 AM

Oh well.

BTW I know a lot about the CD-I thanks to watching HalfBlindGamer's YouTube channel. He did a lot of reviews of CD-I games and made a video detailing the system. Might be of interest to you.