Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Flat Panels & Digital Format (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   TV shopping? (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=270620)

electronjohn 06-30-2018 04:30 PM

TV shopping?

Well. maybe. We have a 52" Sharp "Aquos" that has been a fine performer since new about 6 years ago. Couple months ago, two thin lines developed near the top of the screen. Recently, a third line has become apparent about 1/3 of the way down. Since I have little knowledge of the black magic in how these things operate...is it fixable or just potential E-waste. Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.

TUD1 06-30-2018 04:40 PM

I go TV shopping by the local thrift store's dumpster. :D

andy 06-30-2018 05:01 PM

zeno 06-30-2018 05:19 PM

TV shopping sucks now. All the sets are put in display mode
that gives a fake picture only meant to grab your eye.
The content shown dont help either. Then try to get them
to give you a remote to see what it really looks like.
Forget that idea.........

All I can say is I got a 32" Sony about 6 yrs ago & it has been
flawless. It even can give a mild natural pix like a CRT set.
Not overstated, inaccurate colors & room lighting brightness........

73 Zeno:smoke:
LFOD !

mbates14 06-30-2018 06:10 PM

most TVs now are all junk BTW. most offbrands are made either by LG or huawei. There are some other chinese nonames that dont even hide the name by a "fake american" name anymore. just chinese.

Otherwise, its either LG or Samsung. thats about it. Vizio is made by LG, and now so is sharp.

Ed in Tx 06-30-2018 08:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeno (Post 3201538)
All I can say is I got a 32" Sony about 6 yrs ago & it has been
flawless. It even can give a mild natural pix like a CRT set.
Not overstated, inaccurate colors & room lighting brightness........

73 Zeno:smoke:
LFOD !

I have a 40" Sony I bought in May 2008. Almost 57,000 hours and 4,000 power On cycles when the attached picture was taken a few weeks ago. Still going strong, never an issue with it, never taken the back off or even moved it other than dust behind it. Have always loved the picture quality. Like Zeno said about his, mine has a CRT-like naturalness to it. If course it has to be set up and adjusted properly to do that. It has plenty of adjustments to make it just perfect. I will likely buy another Sony when this one finally bites the dust someday.

http://www.videokarma.org/attachment...1&d=1530406790

andy 06-30-2018 08:35 PM

WISCOJIM 07-01-2018 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed in Tx (Post 3201541)
I have a 40" Sony I bought in May 2008. Almost 57,000 hours

You've run that TV 15.6 hours per day? What do you do in your spare time?

TUD1 07-01-2018 01:57 AM

I spend most of my time checking Craigslist, watching TV, and posting on Videokarma. The rest I waste.

mgross0 07-01-2018 02:11 AM

At the time you purchased, Sharp was the best thing on the market in an LED/LCD tv. Now they are made by Hisense. Try cleaning the connector cable, and making sure that the heat sink is still good on the upper board. It is not a serious problem yet, or the little vee logo at the bottom center of the bezel would be flashing a trouble code.

If you decide to buy new, I would go with an LG. Do not buy a Samsuck.

SpaceAge 07-01-2018 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbates14 (Post 3201540)
most TVs now are all junk BTW. most offbrands are made either by LG or huawei. There are some other chinese nonames that dont even hide the name by a "fake american" name anymore. just chinese.

Otherwise, its either LG or Samsung. thats about it. Vizio is made by LG, and now so is sharp.

Actually Sharp is made by Hisense, which is a Chinese state-owned company. I remember reading somewhere, maybe it was here on videokarma, that Sharp decided to exit the North American market and license their name, so Hisense entered into an agreement to use the Sharp brand on their products. No big deal, right? Lo and behold these Hisense-built Sharp TVs ended up having all kinds of problems due to shoddy quality, and as a result tainted Sharp’s reputation. Now Sharp is unhappy and realizes their mistake, but it’s too late. What a mess. :sigh:

dishdude 07-01-2018 03:15 AM

I'm a Vizio fan, LG second.

Chip Chester 07-01-2018 08:51 AM

We have a couple Vizio sets, with no problems so far. These things are best bought with the various 'insurance' policies that are available, because statistically, they will fail before you think they should. It's literally cheap insurance.

Our first flat panel was a 55" Hitachi plasma, at almost $100/inch, that weighs every bit of 140 lbs. It's still cookin' (as in producing prodigious heat) for the group we donated it to (for signage use). Our latest Vizio HDR 4K set I can comfortably carry under one arm. I'd say it's still working after several years, but that may jinx it!

Ed in Tx 07-01-2018 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WISCOJIM (Post 3201548)
You've run that TV 15.6 hours per day? What do you do in your spare time?

Sleep!

It's typically on from a little before 7 until nearly Midnight. I leave it on even if I go out for a while. Entertains the pets.

I think part of the reason for longevity is I've always run the backlighting at 3 (out of 10 max). Plenty bright with the proper picture and brightness settings and it runs a whole lot cooler, and draws about 90 Watts. At full "10" backlighting, the power consumption goes up over 200 Watts and it gets that eye-piercing brightness most anti-LCD people complain about. Of course now, they are all lit up with LEDs, so probably none of that applies.

mgross0 07-02-2018 12:59 AM

Vizio buys their parts from LG. The screens/panels are usually LG seconds.