Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Things with Motors (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=186)
-   -   Bought My Third Car - It's a Suburban - BIG Picts Too ! (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=270109)

Username1 02-07-2018 07:56 PM

Bought My Third Car - It's a Suburban - BIG Picts Too !

Hint Hint ............ EM ?????

I don't even care if ya change who started the thread.....

Just add content !

MadMan 02-08-2018 02:04 AM

https://derpicdn.net/img/2013/5/27/334690/full.jpg

I don't even. What's going on?

What is life?

Kamakiri 02-08-2018 12:41 PM

I'm confused...... :nerd:

Celt 02-08-2018 12:47 PM

Yeah......whuuuuuut? :stupid:

SpaceAge 02-08-2018 01:27 PM

Electronic-M mentioned he bought a Suburban in this thread: http://videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=268040&page=4

I think Squirrel Boy wants to see pictures, etc...

Electronic M 02-08-2018 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Username1 (Post 3195897)
Hint Hint ............ EM ?????

I don't even care if ya change who started the thread.....

Just add content !

Thought you bought one based on thread title.

It is the middle of winter, everything here is covered with salt (except the Lincoln which has been parked all season), tomorrow ~5" snow is supposed to come, and I don't know if I ever took decent pictures....The WARCI.org swap meet photos might have a better pic of it than I do...

Also, I've been demoted from mod, and don't want to glomb on to a topic with a gigantic pony meme....

I'll try to make a topic when I can.

Jon A. 02-09-2018 12:05 AM

It's always good to say what you meme and meme what you say.

Titan1a 02-09-2018 02:08 AM

Reasonable.

zeno 02-10-2018 07:04 PM

This thread makes as much sense as a screen door on a submarine.
Maybe its just an age thing ?

73 Zeno:smoke:
LFOD !

MadMan 02-10-2018 08:22 PM

I'm pretty sure it never made sense from the get-go.

Electronic M 02-10-2018 09:02 PM

It makes perfect sense to me. After I've made 2 threads on my other cars with similar thread titles to this one, but never got to making one for my third car, Squirrel boy who is curious about my third car wants me to make a thread about it too.....So much so he kindly made a thread for me in my style with its content being a request for me to make this into the thread he wants to read....If this wasn't the lousy part of winter I might have done what he wants quickly. (part of me wishes he'd made this poke privately via PM)

This ain't exactly the time of year I feel like going outside to take pictures/do anything unnecessary (not to mention my camera has gone internally 'snow blind' from frost on days like this before).

To make a squirrel happy here is a pic of the snow-capped Mt. Suburban in my driveway (taken from my bedroom window so I don't gotta shiver).
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4676/...2236a4d0_z.jpg
Tis my winter daily driver for work and my swapmeet hauler...She ain't cherry, but if my envoy was a 3-4 overall condition wise then the burban is more like 7-8.

Username1 02-11-2018 05:29 PM

:)

TVTim 02-16-2018 10:38 PM

Cool 'burban.

MadMan 02-16-2018 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TVTim (Post 3196310)
Cool 'burban.

Literally.

huehuehuehuehue

dieseljeep 02-17-2018 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TVTim (Post 3196310)
Cool 'burban.

He could've bought a Cadillac Escalade and showed us some real class.
I'm disappointed that my newer model Prius only gets 44-46 MPG, where the old one always got 50+. :sigh:

Electronic M 02-17-2018 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieseljeep (Post 3196322)
I'm disappointed that my newer model Prius only gets 44-46 MPG, where the old one always got 50+. :sigh:

The target was under 150K on the clock, under 20 years old, and under $5K so I could buy it cash...It was %20 or more under all limits. The only Escalades I found (I would have preferred one) were ~double the milage or well over budget...Also, I feel better scuffing up a burban with a load of electronic junque than I do treating a caddy or Lincoln the same.

Also my burban came with the only options an Escalade has (aside from general looks) that I would want to pay for: Leather interior and Heated seats.:thmbsp:

dieseljeep 02-18-2018 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electronic M (Post 3196328)
The target was under 150K on the clock, under 20 years old, and under $5K so I could buy it cash...It was %20 or more under all limits. The only Escalades I found (I would have preferred one) were ~double the milage or well over budget...Also, I feel better scuffing up a burban with a load of electronic junque than I do treating a caddy or Lincoln the same.

Also my burban came with the only options an Escalade has (aside from general looks) that I would want to pay for: Leather interior and Heated seats.:thmbsp:

I just wonder how much more the glorified burban called the Caddy costs new? I always think "a fool and their money".

Jon A. 02-18-2018 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieseljeep (Post 3196322)

Or turned it into a super fly ride with tinted windows, glitter paint and 22" chrome rims with spinners. Know what I'm sayin' homie?

Electronic M 02-18-2018 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon A. (Post 3196401)
Or turned it into a super fly ride with tinted windows, glitter paint and 22" chrome rims with spinners. Know what I'm sayin' homie?

Sorry but, 'That's not me!' -->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CurONBAJnk

MadMan 02-18-2018 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieseljeep (Post 3196380)
I just wonder how much more the glorified burban called the Caddy costs new? I always think "a fool and their money".

They were quite a pretty penny more when new, and tend to hold their value much better than their chevy/gmc counterparts... pretty much solely because of their popularity with a certain demographic.

I will say, I quite like the Escalades more than their counterparts, at least when they've been well taken care of, and not butchered with 22s and tints and aftermarket radios. Very comfy and luxurious.

Also, I once walked into a friend's body shop, and found him putting Escalade body trim onto a Tahoe. I asked him what he was doing. He said "I'm making a Escahoe."

Jon A. 02-19-2018 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electronic M (Post 3196417)
Sorry but, 'That's not me!' -->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CurONBAJnk

My bad T, I forgot the hydros. I must have been totally tripping.

Electronic M 03-30-2019 09:59 AM

Well, I did something stupid yesterday. :no: :stupid: :withstpd:..Pa woke me up a bit early yesterday and said "come down quick I left a light on in my car yesterday and it won't start" After a brief futile attempt to start it off a charger I pushed it outa the garage and started my burban to jump it off of and whilst turning my burban around in the driveway half asleep I backed into a tree (that bird outhouse AKA dead tree woulda been gone last fall if ma hadn't asked me to hold off).

From a distance, you can't tell, but I now need a new rear bumper and factory hitch... The structure under the plastic step in the bumper busted free on one side and got punched in ~2.5" (the plastic step mostly hides it), the hitch also got pushed in some distance, is now a bit crooked and the metal tube that is it's biggest piece of metal split open in a couple of places (If It hadn't cracked I'd probably have tow chained it to the lincoln and tried to yank it straight).

The good news is the frame appears to be fine...So I just need to find the right parts to bolt on...I'm probably going to leave it for now. I'm about a week out from paying off a student loan, and once I do that I'm going to have to save all my money for the ETF to be able to buy anything I haven't committed to yet.

I'm nota happy camper.

WISCOJIM 03-30-2019 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electronic M (Post 3209797)
I'm not a happy camper.

But did you get your dad's car started?

Electronic M 03-30-2019 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WISCOJIM (Post 3209800)
But did you get your dad's car started?

Yeah, eventually.

Chip Chester 03-30-2019 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electronic M (Post 3209797)
...I'm not a happy camper.

If you are a camper, happy or not, I really recommend replacing that trailer hitch with a real one, instead of the factory issue version. That is, if you plan on towing anything and not just toting bikes or something.

I have an '03 2500, and had contact from someone from the NHTSB about those hitches. Evidently quite a few failures due to bad welds.

Just a glance when first looking at it convinced me to replace the OEM hitch with one from a real hitch mfg. and not the exhaust pipe vendor (according to the guy at NHTSB.) I opted for both high capacity and extra tongue weight capacity, because I both tow and haul things on a hitch carrier.

Sandy G 03-30-2019 07:21 PM

I had a 3/5 tonne Urbanizer 4X3 & a Wiesel to boot. You could only get the Weasel w/a 4.11 back in '82, 45-50 MPH was the realistic top speed. 65 was possible, but it was in Major Patne at that, & anything beyond the valves wanted to float Me & Generous Motors put 3 motors in it B4 I hollered "Calfrope ! & got a Wagoneer Limited in '88. But except for the verdammte motor, its TOUGH to beat a Urbanizer, for what all they can haul. In fact, if you CAN'T haul something in one, you gotta aks yrself "Do I REALLY need this ?!?"...Boy, we had Big Fun in Sandy's Suburban Social club back in the day, too-I'm pretty sure a couple kids were conceived in it. Mine had Captain's Chairs, but I could still get a good 8-10 people in it. They'd all get in the "Back-Back"behind the 3rd seat where I couldn't swat 'em. I bought a Blaupunkt Berlin & 4 Jensen Triaxials & THAT tickled everybody, too. Had more fun in The Urbanizer than I've had in any other vehicle, before or since. Just wish that 6.2 litre Weasel hadn't been such an unmitigated POS-I might still have it...

Sandy G 03-30-2019 07:24 PM

Gotdangit, Fat Fingered Freddie- 4X4 & 3/4 tonne... This is what happens when you have "Cadillacs" & CAN'T EFFIN' SEE.....(GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR...)

Electronic M 07-15-2019 05:12 PM

Well I ended up buying a used bumper and hitch off of a Yukon. The corner cross brace brackets were rustier than the ones on my old bumper so I performed the punishing act of swapping them....the carriage bolts they used have such a small squared off shank that removing them with anything other than a grinder is barely possible. End result turned out nice though.

Then the weekend before the 4th and into the 4th I ended up re-repairing the driver's side rust out on the rear quarter and rocker panel. The rocker had rusted out before and had a Bondo patch with a empty bag of cheese puffs and a purchase order ticket from a crummy Mexican body shop that did the the repair. They also fixed the quarter being mashed in in a collision the previous owners were in by covering it in 1/2" thick layer of body filler....

Seeing the old repairs failing and not wanting to fill holes bigger than a quarter with body filler, but not wanting to spend $500 on buying a welder or the time to learn to weld I came up with a unique solution. I cut squared off holes removing the rusted through sections of sheet metal and grinding the edges to bare metal. I then took the bare edges and tinned them with my 80W soldering iron in roughly 1/4" perimeter around the hole, did the same for a piece of 26guage sheet steel cut bigger than the hole, painted the untinned inside surface of the patch then soldered it on and covered it with body filler and paint to hide it...it went great on the quarter (no one can tell it was patched). The rocker was tough because the bottom section I was patching had a sharp bend that my initial approach could not properly duplicate, and it is not perfect but much harder to spot than a over 2' long rust hole... I considered re-doing it but with vacation (that truck went with on) under a week away I was lucky to complete it at all...
Passenger side is the same but the rust is a bit worse... I'm probably going to fix that too.

dieseljeep 07-15-2019 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electronic M (Post 3212947)
Well I ended up buying a used bumper and hitch off of a Yukon. The corner cross brace brackets were rustier than the ones on my old bumper so I performed the punishing act of swapping them....the carriage bolts they used have such a small squared off shank that removing them with anything other than a grinder is barely possible. End result turned out nice though.

Then the weekend before the 4th and into the 4th I ended up re-repairing the driver's side rust out on the rear quarter and rocker panel. The rocker had rusted out before and had a Bondo patch with a empty bag of cheese puffs and a purchase order ticket from a crummy Mexican body shop that did the the repair. They also fixed the quarter being mashed in in a collision the previous owners were in by covering it in 1/2" thick layer of body filler....

Seeing the old repairs failing and not wanting to fill holes bigger than a quarter with body filler, but not wanting to spend $500 on buying a welder or the time to learn to weld I came up with a unique solution. I cut squared off holes removing the rusted through sections of sheet metal and grinding the edges to bare metal. I then took the bare edges and tinned them with my 80W soldering iron in roughly 1/4" perimeter around the hole, did the same for a piece of 26guage sheet steel cut bigger than the hole, painted the untinned inside surface of the patch then soldered it on and covered it with body filler and paint to hide it...it went great on the quarter (no one can tell it was patched). The rocker was tough because the bottom section I was patching had a sharp bend that my initial approach could not properly duplicate, and it is not perfect but much harder to spot than a over 2' long rust hole... I considered re-doing it but with vacation (that truck went with on) under a week away I was lucky to complete it at all...
Passenger side is the same but the rust is a bit worse... I'm probably going to fix that too.

I saw the repair job you did on the one side and I was very impressed with your workmanship. Keep up the good work!

Electronic M 07-15-2019 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieseljeep (Post 3212952)
I saw the repair job you did on the one side and I was very impressed with your workmanship. Keep up the good work!

Thanks! That patch on the front passenger fender was the trial run preceding the refresh of the drivers' side. The rear quarter patch I did I actually got better than the repair I showed you (the rocker honestly ended up worse though).

The one you saw I could find the patch with light at the right angle...the one I did since then I can't even figure out exactly where the patch is anymore. :thmbsp:

init4fun 07-15-2019 08:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The last time I did backyard hack bodywork was on a crappy van that I kept as a junk hauler , but it needed an inspection sticker that it couldn't get due to the rot holes . I knocked out the rot , backed up the holes with chicken coop wire , and then slathered the Bondo on . After a few layers were slathered on and knocked down smooth a bit of paint hid the butchery and the all important inspection sticker was granted . The Bondo rot disguise lasted the final few years I had it till the engine died and off to "Pick & Pull" it went :D

Electronic M 10-09-2019 01:13 PM

Well I finished the body work just over 2 weeks ago. I was planning to fix the low speed nusiance ABS trips it's had since summer, but something more pressing came up...
Hit the auto window opener today at Portillos drive through and my window stopped 3/4 way down with a metalic crunch... It will open a bit farther and go back to that point, but it won't close...
I'm guessing the motor is still OK and the regulator failed... won't be sure till I get it appart tonight.

Looks like I'm going to loose an evening of watching TV and sorting Sam's manuals...

Sandy G 10-09-2019 02:28 PM

Still say you really HAVEN'T lived until you've been the Daddy of an Urbanizer. or an Excursion... Go Big, or Go Home...No how much you think you've put in either one of them rigs, you HAVEN'T really filled one up... Guarantee it..

Electronic M 10-09-2019 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy G (Post 3215949)
Still say you really HAVEN'T lived until you've been the Daddy of an Urbanizer. or an Excursion... Go Big, or Go Home...No how much you think you've put in either one of them rigs, you HAVEN'T really filled one up... Guarantee it..

Day after I finished the body work I got 29 file cabinet drawers full of Sam's plus a few boxes of overflow using the burban 200mile drive each way. I filled it. 3 people and all the drawers (I briefly considered strapping some of the cabinets to the roof, but didn't have enough rope and left them) that is pretty much the limit for cabin space and definitely close for the suspension (thing had a gangster lean and I had to top off the back tires). I averaged over 17mpg that trip...best mileage and closest to factory rating it's ever given me.
I did similar on the way back from the ETF in spring I bought over $3k worth of junk there and packed it as full as it would go before asking for help from a friend who I'll let choose whether to identify himself.
It's been to the family cabin a few times too... normally we come with 2/3 of what a Honda CR-V can shlep and come back with an overstuffed Honda... we've essentially done the same thing with the burban, but only because 2 of the trips I happened upon BIG TV consoles (the Sylvania slide theater and one of those big ass Corinthian CTC9s that used to live in the oval office) only 1 hour out of the way on the trip...those things eat a surprising amount of space...
I've had it near full going to swapmeets too. One Radiofest it was, me dad, my buddy Chris, and an older fellow from my local club I've done some resto work for who wanted to tag along plus 3 radio consoles and other junk to sell...I had to do 80-90 much of the way to make it semi on-time due to elderly guest being an hour late....
for all the empty commutes to work I make up for it by getting the max out of it on trips (and I still wish I had a trailer occasionally).

WISCOJIM 10-09-2019 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electronic M (Post 3215951)
I did similar on the way back from the ETF in spring I bought over $3k worth of junk there and packed it as full as it would go before asking for help from a friend who I'll let choose whether to identify himself.

One word: TRAILER!

Electronic M 10-09-2019 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WISCOJIM (Post 3215953)
One word: TRAILER!

Only reason I don't own one is ma... I'm completely forbidden from parking one on the property.
A few weeks ago I talked to her about going to buy a 46 Olds up near Appleton and discussed where I'm going to keep it on the property (and she was surprisingly happy with it) and then a week later when I'm about to go look at it she, without reason, changes her mind and goes to war with me.

I gotta get some more money together and move the hell out...The way things are going they are going to retire broke and I'm going to hate them enough (for the BS they are doing now) to stick them in the worst retirement home I can find when they come crawling to me for help...

Nothing sucks more than thinking everything has lined up and your going to look at and probably buy a car you've wanted since you were 9 years old (and have been shopping for for nearly the whole time) then having that stopped and the weekend turn into an argument... Except maybe ones fiancee getting shot the day before a wedding.....And this ain't the first time they pulled this rotten stunt!

WISCOJIM 10-09-2019 04:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Electronic M (Post 3215958)
a 46 Olds up near Appleton

http://www.videokarma.org/attachment...1&d=1570656442

Electronic M 10-09-2019 04:35 PM

Yup.

Sandy G 10-09-2019 06:32 PM

Suh-Weet Oldsmobubble... Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, Tom... I lived at home for a long time after college to be a Helpful Son, did the yard, washed cars, this kind of stuff... What did it get me ? Nada. My dad made my Sweet, Loving sister the executor of the estate, & I basically ended up w/what the Little Boy shot at-Nada damn thing. I would NOT have treated her the way she treated ME, 'cause I still gotta Live With Myself. I WILL, however, hopefully someday get to tell her exactly what I think of her. She was into horses, they bought her umpteen horses over the years, tack-Saddles, bridles blankets, hospitalisations, medicines, trailers, trucks lodging at the finest hotels when they went to shows, an army's worth of hangers' on, lodging for those dead beats, trainers... There's a LOT of money in the Equine world, & my parents & sister sure as hell put their share into it... And I caught unbridled SHIT 'cause I Wasted Money by bringin' a Radidio or TV home every so often. Wastin' Yer Money, aren't you, son ?!? And I could turn off a TV or radio, not worry about it for a month, turn it back on, & chances are, it'd start sweetly singin' away to me. Do that w/a Hoss, & you'll have a smelly rottin' corpse to clean up...Horse GOTTA have 2 squares a day, LOTSA water, & it still is subject to keel over on you, for no apparent reason. And no matter how nice & loving you are to the futhermuckin' thing, it can get a wild hair, & kick the FIRE outta you, bite yr ear off, or R'ar up & possibly KILL you. A TV or radio can kill you, too, but if you use a sliver of sense around one, you'll likely be fine & dandy..

init4fun 10-09-2019 08:01 PM

:D Sandy's post about Horses made me laugh , the Horse having a mind of it's own is the #1 reason the only Horse I ever trusted was Mr. Ed . For real , I wouldn't get on a real horse because of the whole mind of it's own thing , so I rode iron Horses (motorcycles) instead .

;) With a motorcycle there was only one brain , mine , in control of the throttle !

:) PS , Tom , I'm sorry as Hell to hear about not getting the car , "the one that got away" always sucks ....