Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   The Amateur Radio Spot (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=176)
-   -   Thrift find (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=264751)

kydog 07-18-2015 11:30 PM

Thrift find

4 Attachment(s)
]New to this forum but wanted to post a few pieces I found at a local thrift. Can anyone tell me what I have here?

Realistic tcr x23 with Astatic D104 mic

Realistic Trc 24b with realistic mic
A rather large gray Phantom ham/CB tube amplifier ? A/S scanner box:scratch2: I can't seem to rotate the images?

ChrisW6ATV 07-20-2015 11:09 PM

Interesting finds. The TRC-X23 may be a tube-type CB radio from the late 1960s or early 1970s; the TRC-24B is probably from the mid-1970s up to 1976. The D104 microphone is a classic, still very popular with some hams as well as CBers. The "Phantom" amplifier was built as an illegal CB amplifier, most likely, even though it could have been called a "ham radio" amplifier. (The lack of a band switch is the clue that it was not intended for true ham radio use. Note that my amplifier comments also apply to the "Marko" amplifier in the one picture, too.) The "Super Scanner" box is a controller for a specific CB antenna that could be switched to favor certain directions, if I remember right.

kydog 07-25-2015 08:22 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV (Post 3138829)
Interesting finds. The TRC-X23 may be a tube-type CB radio from the late 1960s or early 1970s; the TRC-24B is probably from the mid-1970s up to 1976. The D104 microphone is a classic, still very popular with some hams as well as CBers. The "Phantom" amplifier was built as an illegal CB amplifier, most likely, even though it could have been called a "ham radio" amplifier. (The lack of a band switch is the clue that it was not intended for true ham radio use. Note that my amplifier comments also apply to the "Marko" amplifier in the one picture, too.) The "Super Scanner" box is a controller for a specific CB antenna that could be switched to favor certain directions, if I remember right.

Thanks for all the info:thmbsp: Inside pctures of the Phantom. The TRC-X23 is also a tube type CB unit

rca2000 07-25-2015 08:37 PM

A DOZEN 6JE6 Tubes??

Those ALONE..( if good)..were probably worth FAR more than you paid !!

electronjohn 07-26-2015 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rca2000 (Post 3139214)
A DOZEN 6JE6 Tubes??

Absolutely. If they all test good there's a minimum of $120 or so in tubeage alone...possibly more.

kydog 07-28-2015 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rca2000 (Post 3139214)
A DOZEN 6JE6 Tubes??

I'm actually not a radio guy & tubes I know very little. There's a thrift store here in Parker Arizona ( The bargain Box) that I go in every now and then. The owner came across these item from a lady clearing out her husband's gear since he passed away. I volunteered to help him out to try and find information about them so here I am. I truly appreciate the help and all of these items are available @ his store. I tried helping him out by posting in the Tucson craigslist being a rather older gent with no real computer know how, It's all for him. It's been fun ride so far lurking in different forums and realizing people still use this gear!

I've never seen such a large amount of tubes in one box and didn't know CB radios came with tubes ( Realistic TRC x23) I did plug it in to test out the Astatic D-104 microphone but no go:no: I couldn't get any power ( Tubes didn't light up). I'm afraid to test the Phantom, Don't know if it's safe to plug in or should I?

kydog 09-20-2015 08:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok I finally had a chance to plug in the phantom and I be dang it turns on:banana: the fan turns and all tubes light up:thmbsp:

Findm-Keepm 09-20-2015 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kydog (Post 3144158)
Ok I finally had a chance to plug in the phantom and I be dang it turns on:banana: the fan turns and all tubes light up:thmbsp:

If nothing else, it's a space heater :D

Boobtubeman 09-21-2015 12:01 AM

Isnt all those tube in that amp add up to about 900-1k watts output??

Had a palomar skipper 300 with only 4 of em... :)

SR

Dude111 09-21-2015 10:13 PM

A nice find you have there!!!!

I havent ever found any radio stuff @ salvation army.... (Well 1 time I did see a BASE CB RADIO come in)

Electronic M 09-22-2015 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kydog (Post 3144158)

I've been hoping to find something like that for the 6M ham band.....I've been feeding my tube TV sets via a low power agile modulator that transmits about a block radius, and have wanting to try using one of those to occasionally try to cover the county (as a April fools/holiday thing).

kydog 09-22-2015 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude111 (Post 3144267)
A nice find you have there!!!!

I havent ever found any radio stuff @ salvation army.... (Well 1 time I did see a BASE CB RADIO come in)

I'm a audio guy not radio & this piece belongs to a guy that owns a thrift store here in Parker Arizona ( Bargain Box). He has no use for it and neither do I, I posted in this forum because we had no clue as to what it was:scratch2: lol..

Electronic M 09-23-2015 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kydog (Post 3144376)
I'm a audio guy not radio & this piece belongs to a guy that owns a thrift store here in Parker Arizona ( Bargain Box). He has no use for it and neither do I, I posted in this forum because we had no clue as to what it was:scratch2: lol..

If it is for sale I might be interested.

Dude111 09-23-2015 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kydog

Ahhhhhhh I see!!

Well Danke for showing it :)

kydog 09-25-2015 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electronic M (Post 3144409)
If it is for sale I might be interested.

Email sent yesterday: yes: