Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Vintage Arcade, Pinball, and MAME (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   Does anyone here collect vintage EM pinball machines? (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=245939)

spartanmanor 09-14-2009 12:20 PM

Does anyone here collect vintage EM pinball machines?

I used to have a small collection 4 machines that I kept running. They were always the hit of the party. I still have one in pieces down in the basement.

RDusel 09-15-2009 12:46 AM

There is definitely something to an EM machine's sounds.. The clicking, clacking, buzzing (and xylophone chimes) that is missing from the newer machines.
I've restored one new style game, one EM and working on my second.
The current one is a Chicago Coin Pirate Gold from 1969. Apparently Chicago Coin games are rare and made of parts from other vendors so getting spares has been a challenge.

Rob

Ohighway 10-27-2009 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spartanmanor (Post 2954318)
I used to have a small collection 4 machines that I kept running. They were always the hit of the party. I still have one in pieces down in the basement.

Got a couple over here. I bought a Gottlieb "Scuba" pinball (circa 1970) many years back for my wife.... as a tie in to her love of scuba diving. I also picked up a Gottlieb "Mustang" pinball (circa 1977, a Western theme...not the car) and a Bally "Bow and Arrow" (circa 1975) as a 2 piece package deal.

dewdude 10-29-2009 02:29 PM

I can't say that I collect them..but I enjoy the magic and the life an em machine has to offer.

...i do also work on the things a bit.

newhallone 11-23-2009 07:40 AM

I would like to get a 60's or 70's machine. Just waiting for the right opportunity.

ChrisW6ATV 11-24-2009 10:54 PM

I only have electronic pinball machines so far.

dewdude 11-28-2009 05:27 PM

99% of the machines I work on are modern solid state machines. I have a love/hate relationship with them. I love the fact I can work on them a lot easier than I can an EM...but I hate the complexity.

EM machines...I can work on 'em...but it generally takes me a while because of lack of expierence...but I've learned a few things over the years and, if I've got the schematic, I generally do pretty well.

newhallone 05-12-2011 03:42 PM

I have been wanting one for awhile. I was planning on buying one from a guy I met. He had a big collection. But he passed one winter and never did hear what happened to his collection. But the other day my neighbor who is moving sold me a Williams viking. needs glass for the playing field, and the chrome strip on the bottom that holds the glass in. Could use new rubbers. Sad thing is the back glass is peeling bad. Thankfully the Girls are OK! whew! Playing field is in nice shape. The machine works. could use some cleaning tho. A decent deal for 100 bucks. Oh, and the legs are not original. they are off some kitchen table. but they fit and hold the machine up. Wouldn't mind finding at least one more in better shape. Can't justify more than that. I just don't have the room LOL

NewVista 11-16-2011 08:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a Williams 'PERKY' (1956). Theme: Broadway; Artist: Roy Parker (Chicago).

Also have Chicago Coins SPINBALL (1948)

dewdude 11-22-2011 10:18 AM

How do you know they're not original?

Old woodrails often had wooden legs, although a viking is too new for that....however, according to IPDB, its not a usual cabinet design....so the legs look like table legs. Unless the original owner knew for sure they aren't original, they might be....

www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2738&picno=27350

Sent from my Samsung Intercept with Tapatalk

newhallone 12-11-2011 08:54 PM

Yeah, he got the machine without legs and found table ones that fit.

spudz64 01-03-2012 09:36 AM

I've got a 1973 Williams OXO EM pinball, love the sounds of it and the old-style thrills it brings! I also have a modern 1990's Bally Gilligan's Island pin next to it, nice contrast to the old and new.

Kamakiri 01-03-2012 01:22 PM

I had a Williams "Swinger" that I restored. Loved that machine, but for pure fun to play, it couldn't hold a candle to my Space Shuttle. Man I miss my machines :(

Dude111 03-11-2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spudz64
I've got a 1973 Williams OXO EM pinball, love the sounds of it and the old-style thrills it brings! I also have a modern 1990's Bally Gilligan's Island pin next to it, nice contrast to the old and new.

Excellent!!!

Good OLDER pinball machines are one of my FAVOURITE things!

Steve 03-18-2012 08:44 PM

You bet! Just bought #47 yesterday. Most are EMs, some of which date back to 1932 but a number of newer SS pins too. FUN hobby.
Steve