Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Early B&W and Projection TV (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Homemade retro TV (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=268624)

Fredrik 03-04-2017 09:06 AM

Homemade retro TV

6 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures of my latest project. A retro TV built with tubes.
I built this from a description in an old radio magazine called "Polulär Radio" from the 50s. The problem was that I could not get the exact same parts. I have to use different transformers in the horizontal and vertical output sections. So it required some changes in component values, especially in the vertical section, to get the picture linear and at the right height. Also used a slightly more modern CRT with electrostatic focusing.

Another change I made was that I used a mains transformer and 6.3 volts tubes, instead of building a hot chassis as the original was.

To make it easier, there is no HF and MF sections. The signal is connected directly to the video amplifier.

Audio section is a simple amplifier built with a ECL82.

The cabinet, I designed and built myself. Several details and parts are printed with a 3D printer.

It works better than expected. It has been in operation for a few hours now without any problems. The picture is good and stable.

miniman82 03-04-2017 09:56 AM

Awesome project, motivates me to get my color wheel set going.

Crist Rigott 03-04-2017 10:03 AM

Wow, cool. I just might ask for more details on the cabinet because I just built a TV kit and need to make a cabinet for it. Especially the front and mask for the CRT.

Nice project.

Electronic M 03-04-2017 10:10 AM

Impressive craftsmanship!

Though technically a TV without a tuner is really a monitor....I'd consider installing a DTV box inside such a project.

old_coot88 03-04-2017 10:12 AM

Amazing would be an understatement! :tresbon: Love to see more of the build details. :yes:

Celt 03-04-2017 10:37 AM

Quite excellent!

old_tv_nut 03-04-2017 10:45 AM

Beautiful! What sources of video are shown in the images?

WISCOJIM 03-04-2017 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old_tv_nut (Post 3179812)
Beautiful! What sources of video are shown in the images?

I was wondering what show was on the screen. Looks interesting with the old cars.

compucat 03-04-2017 11:05 AM

That is fabulous. When I read the title I was expecting a Chinese solid state set is a vintage styled cabinet. I would like to know more about the cabinet design and construction. I would love to build a custom European style cabinet for my Zenith color roundie someday.

Fredrik 03-04-2017 11:07 AM

6 Attachment(s)
The mask for the CRT I designed in the 3D program Blender. It is 3D printed in four parts that are glued together and painted.

The cabinet is made of 12mm thick plywood. The "veneer" is "DC fix" walnut vinyl
film.

I use a DVD player connected to the video input.

Here are some more pictures.

compucat 03-04-2017 11:09 AM

What size screen? It looks to be about sixteen inch. With the internals of a converter box fitted, all one would need is a set top aerial to have a self-contained tube digital tv.

Fredrik 03-04-2017 11:17 AM

It is a 14 inch 70-degree CRT. AW36-48

maxhifi 03-04-2017 12:21 PM

This is a beautiful and impressive project! The resolution of the picture is outstanding! I really like the cabinet design and speaker grill.

My only one concern is ventilation, there may not be enough holes in the back to keep it cool. Have a look at similar vintage TVs to see what I mean. May be an idea to put a thermocouple connected to a DMM inside, with the back on and off, to make sure it's staying cool. Are there an vent openings in the bottom?

WISCOJIM 03-04-2017 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxhifi (Post 3179821)
My only one concern is ventilation, there may not be enough holes in the back to keep it cool. Have a look at similar vintage TVs to see what I mean.

Well, there are a lot less tubes than in a normal TV of that vintage, so heat may be less of a problem than one might think. I'd just measure the internal temperature after the set is fully warmed up first to see if there is valid concern.

decojoe67 03-04-2017 12:47 PM

Superbly done. Very impressive work!