Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   What is this little RCA tube tv? (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=270758)

Sealtest 08-06-2018 06:56 PM

What is this little RCA tube tv?

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, what is this little set? The labels are either damaged or missing.

This little set took me by surprise. For the longest time I set it way back on my project list since it appeared to be a cheap RCA solid state set. Unfortunately a lot of my projects I'm stuck on so I pulled this thing out just for a break from the same sets. I noticed the back lacked the normal "no user serviceable parts inside" so I took it apart and found a very rough but cool tube chassis. Sadly it has those annoying RCA connections that are always broken so I'm not sure what to do about that.

So what is this thing? Any ideas about when it was made or if it is worth repairing? It is overall a very rough set.

WISCOJIM 08-06-2018 06:59 PM

How about some pictures of the TV itself?

Sealtest 08-06-2018 07:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 197506

dieseljeep 08-06-2018 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sealtest (Post 3202749)

That's the set that many seemed to think that it was a "Salesman's Sample"!
Many had a fancy wooden cabinet, that resembled a miniature console. They were a good working set if the CRT had low hours.

Sealtest 08-06-2018 09:10 PM

So since it is not in a wooden cabinet it's just a normal portable TV that uses the same chassis as the salesman sample? I looked up the sample sets and dang they're super cool. Too bad this one doesn't have the wood.

If I do restore this is there a place to find the broken board connectors? I have pulled apart a ton of old RCA sets and those white connectors are always broken.

dishdude 08-06-2018 09:27 PM

Weird, looks like it should be SS - has to be one of the last tube B&Ws.

No such thing as a salesman sample, those were actual sets that were sold that just looked like little consoles.

zeno 08-07-2018 01:59 PM

The wood sets were part of the regular line. IIRC
there were 2 models of them.
Etch on these is a bit sketchy so go easy on it if you
do any soldering. The sets get as good a pix as any
"better" set.
BTW what part always breaks ?? I cant picure it.

73 Zeno:smoke:
LFOD !

dieseljeep 08-07-2018 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dishdude (Post 3202759)
Weird, looks like it should be SS - has to be one of the last tube B&Ws.

No such thing as a salesman sample, those were actual sets that were sold that just looked like little consoles.

That model had tubes in the sweep circuits and the audio output circuit.
I had stated the fact about the "salesmans sample" in my prior entry!

dieseljeep 08-07-2018 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeno (Post 3202772)
The wood sets were part of the regular line. IIRC
there were 2 models of them.
Etch on these is a bit sketchy so go easy on it if you
do any soldering. The sets get as good a pix as any
"better" set.
BTW what part always breaks ?? I cant picure it.

LFOD !

It might be the card-edge connector for the small P/C module. That is the part that always breaks. :scratch2:

Sealtest 08-07-2018 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieseljeep (Post 3202795)
It might be the card-edge connector for the small P/C module. That is the part that always breaks. :scratch2:

Yep that's it. I hang out at a local scrap yard and every single older RCA that comes in has those connectors and they are always broken. Always.

zeno 08-08-2018 09:19 AM

There was a 15" that would burn up the vert board with
those connectors. Other than that I remember a few other
cracked ones but they still made good contact. If you have a
trouble maker maybe pull it & epoxy it. You could also build up the
solder on the connections but that may spread it out more.
Best cure is good NOS if you can find some.

LFOD !

dieseljeep 08-08-2018 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sealtest (Post 3202802)
Yep that's it. I hang out at a local scrap yard and every single older RCA that comes in has those connectors and they are always broken. Always.

Possibly 30 years since I worked on the last one. I wonder if you could take a scrap XL100 chassis that had the same setup for the modules and use the connectors.
I only had to replace one of those connectors that cracked away in a CTC48 or similar. :scratch2:

init4fun 08-08-2018 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieseljeep (Post 3202756)
That's the set that many seemed to think that it was a "Salesman's Sample"!

:thmbsp: Yep , for some reason the myth of those little console looking TVs being a "Salesman Sample" was really pervasive for a while and every so often someone still does advertise one as such on Ebay . I knew right from the beginning of that "Urban Myth" that it was false , Back when console sets were popular there were exactly 0 people going door to door selling TVs ! Now people selling "Rainbow" Vacuum cleaners and Encyclopedias , oh yea once a week at least they'd be ringing the doorbell , but from my earliest recollections TVs were sold in specialty TV stores and then later in places like Sears , and never door to door .....

Steve D. 08-08-2018 02:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the miniature 9" RCA console TV. Kinda neat.

-Steve D.

Tom9589 08-08-2018 03:45 PM

I'll bet RCA had to grit their teeth to produce a TV with Compactrons.

The wooden cabinet looks like they just took the front panel of the plastic model and mounted it into the wooden cabinet.

Very cool looking little set.