Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Site News (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   Ads reloading pages over and over and over (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=269565)

Eric H 09-23-2017 10:37 PM

Ads reloading pages over and over and over

1 Attachment(s)
I noticed whenever I'm in a Forum the page keeps reloading every few seconds making it impossible to go back a page.

I'm using Firefox 55.0.3

It's not noticeable except for the little Circle in the corner spinning around, and if you hold down the back button you will see the long list of the same page.

If I enable the Ad Blocker it stops doing this.

I'm not sure if this is some script by the ad people trying to get more page hits or if there's a bug in VK.

N8QQD 09-23-2017 10:52 PM

I had the same problem with Firefox. Had to switch to Internet Explorer to avoid it.

Findm-Keepm 09-24-2017 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric H (Post 3189833)
I noticed whenever I'm in a Forum the page keeps reloading every few seconds making it impossible to go back a page.

I'm using Firefox 55.0.3

It's not noticeable except for the little Circle in the corner spinning around, and if you hold down the back button you will see the long list of the same page.

If I enable the Ad Blocker it stops doing this.

I'm not sure if this is some script by the ad people trying to get more page hits or if there's a bug in VK.

Welcome to my everyday experience on VK. I now use a script blocker that has to relearn all the nasty ways Google injects their scripts. Every third or fourth page load, and back to reloading pages. It's Google's AdSense service. I use the NoScript security suite add-on. Sad that VK can't tame the scripts.

I'm on Linux Mint, so IE is out, but Chromium works.

Celt 09-24-2017 02:48 PM

I gave up on Fartfox last year. Went with MS Edge and have had no probs since.

Ed in Tx 09-24-2017 02:56 PM

Haven't updated FF since 53 and I am not seeing this "reloading". Page loads once. I guess I will stay with 53 for the foreseeable future.

Jon A. 09-24-2017 03:23 PM

I think I'll disable automatic updates whenever this gets fixed. Seems the latest version of Firefox is very resource-hungry; drop-down and context menus are very slow to appear.

Edit: All older versions are available, Mozilla just hides them well. I just ran the 53 installer, huge improvement. Kind of funny how the installer checked the existing installation then gave me an "upgrade" button to go ahead with the installation. How true. :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm (Post 3189841)
Welcome to my everyday experience on VK. I now use a script blocker that has to relearn all the nasty ways Google injects their scripts. Every third or fourth page load, and back to reloading pages. It's Google's AdSense service. I use the NoScript security suite add-on. Sad that VK can't tame the scripts.

I'm on Linux Mint, so IE is out, but Chromium works.

I've been using NoScript for who knows how long now. Other than the slow menus, no problems here. Mom has a first-gen iPad mini that can't use an ad blocker (I don't know about script blockers). Pages reload left and right on that thing, doesn't take a lot to choke it.

Eric H 09-24-2017 04:25 PM

It doesn't do it in Microsoft Edge or in FF with Adblocker enabled.
Malwarebytes found a couple of the usual Malware programs on my PC but deleting them didn't fix it so I'll just keep the Adblocker on for this site.

Dude111 09-28-2017 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric H

Wow im so sorry Eric... you are on a staff account,you shouldnt see ANY ADS!!!

I think the browser is calling the ads not the site.. This happens on many sites now....

If you disable javascript Eric does this still happen buddy??

Crist Rigott 09-30-2017 08:21 PM

Yeah, it's bad. My FF is allowing the ads to go on forever. Sigh....

Dude111 10-01-2017 05:31 PM

Did you try disabling scripts Crist???

Im so sorry guys..........

Electronic M 10-02-2017 08:41 AM

You need to add adblock+ or better yet UblockOrigin as well as NoScript addons to your firefox.

I've been running those from the beginning used to use request policy too. Back in college when I had to go to a bunch of unfamiliar sites regularly for research those apps were a big part of me NOT getting viruses (the other part was ditching Internet explorer).

Some argue about depriving sites of ad revenue....When youtube forces me to watch a 30 second commercial to watch a 10 second video and many other places have equally or more annoying ad setups embedded into the content or popping up over it I reach a point of gaining great satisfaction giving the bird to all net advertisers...Maybe I'm making the better advertisers suffer too, but if their peers are driving me away they should not blame me, they should blame their peers and tell them to stop driving folks away.

dr.ido 10-02-2017 09:04 PM

I've switched to the ESR version of Firefox on most of my machines. It has some essential security updates that you don't get staying with an old mainstream version, but not the extra "features". That said, the biggest problem I've seen at lately is google's scripts have gotten more aggressive lately and are bogging things down (perhaps deliberately so they can claim Chrome is faster?). Blocking them in NoScript (and only temporarily enabling when absolutely necessary) has helped a lot.

Crist Rigott 10-03-2017 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude111 (Post 3190130)
Did you try disabling scripts Crist???

Im so sorry guys..........

I'm not sure how to do that.

Eric H 10-03-2017 12:36 AM

I just updated Firefox to 56.0, turned off the Ad Blocker and the problem seems to be fixed.

Dude111 10-03-2017 02:35 AM

Im glad its better for ya Eric :)

CRIST: I think you goto OPTIONS and find the tab with javascript options.. (Im not to familar with FF)