Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Transistor Radio (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   my new GE transistor radio (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=267665)

old_coot88 09-06-2016 06:19 PM

I have some gnus for yew.

:lmao:

wa2ise 09-06-2016 06:29 PM

The coil in this speaker is similar to that of a push-pull transistor output transformer primary. Lets the radio pass DC thru the speaker without a DC bias, as its voice coil is centertapped, the centertap going to the power supply.

Electronic M 09-06-2016 09:40 PM

I have an older GE with that type of speaker. It works surprisingly well for a quirky design.

dieseljeep 09-07-2016 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electronic M (Post 3169542)
I have an older GE with that type of speaker. It works surprisingly well for a quirky design.

It's just history repeating itself! Look at the real old cone speakers of the 20's. They were made before the Dynamics and used the same design.
The 2,3 and 4 tube depression sets of the early-to-mid 30's, that had a 38 or a 12A7 output tube, used them as well. Farm radios used them a lot. :scratch2:

ferninando 09-08-2016 05:14 PM

the GE w/vane spkr

Well I got my GE transistor radio with the vane speaker and it doesn't sound all that bad.
Just sounds like a transistor radio.
So all the fuss was for nuthing.
Im happy.

Electronic M 09-08-2016 06:08 PM

Please stop creating NEW topics on your radio, and limit discussion to posting in the ones you have already created!

[edit] I've merged the threads.

musichal 10-01-2016 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferninando (Post 3169387)
I am from the tube audio forum but just got a new toy. Do not have it yet.
A GE transistor radio. real good shape, clean and works.
Not much of a looker. Has a lthr case, yuk.
Dont know vintage yet but will find out sometime.
Good price on the bay I think and it was in SF bay area where I am, San Jose.
Here is a pic for you to see it and comment if you wish.
I would like to know what the experts think.
How did I do for a 1st time out of the chute?
Cheers.

PS: do I need to do any refurb, caps and such?

I like the look. Groovy radio. Looking at it, I can hear "Red Rubber Ball" all the way from OK. And "Little Red Ridin' Hood," too.

ferninando 10-01-2016 08:44 AM

only trouble musichal, is that there are no stations , AM or FM here in the bay area
worth listening to for good music or anything else for that matter. pretty sad state of affairs.

Electronic M 10-01-2016 10:38 AM

You can always get a lowpower TX and a high capacity music player and make your own station...

ferninando 10-02-2016 12:35 AM

why of course. now why didn't I think of that?