Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Porta color (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=269868)

1911nutjob 12-11-2017 09:27 PM

Porta color
 
Hello guys, first time poster here. My love for tube gear pushed me to buy a porta color that was restored by a pro (I believe itís a Ď67). I also bought a garage sale find as a parts donor. Iíve read the good and bad things said about these sets here, but this is a practical sized set to collect for my modest sized home.

Can you guys help me out with Samís photofacts and sources for spare parts, especially flybacks? Iím also looking for more of these sets for the crazy idea of building a boneyard of sorts. Any and all answers are welcome, even if theyíre just to call me nuts.

Electronic M 12-11-2017 10:18 PM

There was an early and a later porta color chassis that had revisions and thus different schematics. I scanned a photocopy of the early version's Sam's folder for a member here a few years back...I probably still have the file somewhere.

dieseljeep 12-12-2017 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911nutjob (Post 3193313)
Hello guys, first time poster here. My love for tube gear pushed me to buy a porta color that was restored by a pro (I believe itís a Ď67). I also bought a garage sale find as a parts donor. Iíve read the good and bad things said about these sets here, but this is a practical sized set to collect for my modest sized home.

Can you guys help me out with Samís photofacts and sources for spare parts, especially flybacks? Iím also looking for more of these sets for the crazy idea of building a boneyard of sorts. Any and all answers are welcome, even if theyíre just to call me nuts.

I've never seen a flyback failure on a Porta-Color. I don't think the HV was that high on those sets.
I have two from the later 70's with high focus voltage CRT's and one from 1973 with low focus voltage CRT. The newer sets have a slightly better picture. :thmbsp:

1911nutjob 12-12-2017 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieseljeep (Post 3193328)
I've never seen a flyback failure on a Porta-Color. I don't think the HV was that high on those sets.
I have two from the later 70's with high focus voltage CRT's and one from 1973 with low focus voltage CRT. The newer sets have a slightly better picture. :thmbsp:

Iíve read that about the newer sets, hope to find one someday. These things donít come up on evilbay too often. Thereís a guy on YouTube taking one out of the box NOS. I could never get that lucky!

zeno 12-13-2017 07:22 AM

Never put a FBT in a portacolor either. Keep in mind many GE
FBT's came in 3 separate parts to order. Core halves with spacers
& U bolt, HV winding, and pulse winding.

73 Zeno:smoke:
LFOD !

user181 12-13-2017 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeno (Post 3193374)
Never put a FBT in a portacolor either. Keep in mind many GE

FBT's came in 3 separate parts to order. Core halves with spacers

& U bolt, HV winding, and pulse winding.



73 Zeno:smoke:

LFOD !


The Thordarson FLY-641 is supposed to be an improved replacement for the original. I got mine from Moyer Electronics, to have as a spare.

1911nutjob 12-13-2017 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by user181 (Post 3193384)
The Thordarson FLY-641 is supposed to be an improved replacement for the original. I got mine from Moyer Electronics, to have as a spare.

I just tried searching their website but no dice with that part number. Thanks for the referral, guess Iíll call them instead. Can you steer me towards factory service literature?

user181 12-14-2017 09:43 AM

Porta color
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911nutjob (Post 3193423)
I just tried searching their website but no dice with that part number. Thanks for the referral, guess I’ll call them instead. Can you steer me towards factory service literature?


I don't know of factory service literature -- just the Sams Photofacts. What is the model number or chassis number of your set? That will dictate which Photofact folder you need.

I've compiled a spreadsheet of Porta Color model numbers and their corresponding chassis number and Photofact folder. You can view it here:


https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GP8SKSV7EBjYWrVu7AtFUl2oU7p1eyz8LaaJfeEFIYk/edit?usp=docslist_api


I welcome any additions and/or corrections to this document.

1911nutjob 12-14-2017 03:19 PM

Unfortunately the factory labels for this set are long gone. I guessed the year of manufacture based on the cabinet and earlier tube lineup, including the 11sp22 crt.

user181 12-14-2017 04:47 PM

Have you opened it up? There ought to be some designations inside. At the very least, if you take some photos (external and/or internal), somebody could help identify it.

bgadow 12-14-2017 09:29 PM

I had to replace the flyback in my later model (mid-70's) Portacolor. I used a Thordarson from Moyers.

1911nutjob 12-15-2017 12:42 AM

I had it open when it first arrived to attach the power cord, donít remember seeing any notable labels other than the CRT. I could check again. If it helps at all, the uhf tuner does not have the click stops. Iíd gladly post pics but I donít know what to do since the photobucket fiasco.

The tube lineup is 2gk5, 4lj8, 8ar11, 6lt8, 8bu11, 8bq11, 12jf5, 17bw3, 6ac10, 11fy7, 1ad2, 11bt11, and 12bf11.

Tom9589 12-15-2017 08:31 AM

Based on the tube lineup, your set is not the H1 chassis, the earliest model. I had the H1 chassis and it had different HO and damper tubes (12GE5 and 12AX3).

My set developed a heater-to-cathode short in one of the CRT guns. Since there was already an isolation transmission transformer in the CRT filament circuit, I simply removed the 220K resistor tying the CRT filament to +145V.

Later on, I came across the later version CRT (11WP22) and replaced the 11SP22. The improvement was quite noticeable due to the smaller dot size of the 11WP22.

user181 12-15-2017 11:06 AM

I may add the tube lineups to my spreadsheet for each chassis, if anyone thinks it's worthwhile.

Electronic M 12-15-2017 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911nutjob (Post 3193466)
Iíd gladly post pics but I donít know what to do since the photobucket fiasco.

Flickr is a good alternative....I was lucky: My bucket filled a few months before the ransom fiasco, and I said "screw it, I'm not paying them for more space", and went to flickr (thus I did not need to search for an alternative hosting site when the sud hit the fan).


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.