Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=170)
-   -   New guy, new to hobby, looking to find out what's wrong with my set (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=266883)

albanks 04-30-2016 07:00 PM

New guy, new to hobby, looking to find out what's wrong with my set

4 Attachment(s)
I am absolutely new to vintage TV's. I bought this B/W portable on eBay for 50 bucks and have used it for approx 5-10 hours. Every once in a while a snap, crackle or pop. Last week the picture went away completely accompanied by a loud piercing noise (sounded like when you call an out of service number but don't hang up). Anyway, I did open it up and blow much dust out and turned it back on and the picture was back but quite frankly I am afraid to turn this set on and just sit back and watch. Oh god that noise, if I hear it again I will have a heart attack. I do have a fire extinguisher near my sets as well. My questions are (1) any info on the set? (2) Would an absolute beginner be able to do anything of consequence inside repair wise? I wonder what is wrong. (3) There is one local repair man who could maybe work on it but he wants the model number and probably schematics, any idea where I can find them? PS: Are there any books about repairing vintage TV's that lay out the basics I could buy?

tom.j.fla 04-30-2016 07:42 PM

Well blowing the dirt out most likely did help. As for ? 1) yes info is available SAMS photofact #1156-3, for $22.00 at www.samswebsite.com will be in pdf format. #2) I would defer to someone knowlageable about TV's but under watchful eye maybe. #3) See #1 and yes there are lots of books out there, check you local library. The informatiom you needed is on the tube chart on the side of case. The tv is a transformer less design so be very careful. A few more pics of the chassis would be helpful. Afew shots from the high voltage transfomer will helpalso check around where the big wire goes to the picture tube not coated with gonk if that area is nasty high voltage will arkover and make a hissing noise. Hope this helps. All the best,Tom

iong 04-30-2016 07:53 PM

Was it a rushing sound. Sounds like filter capacitor (Metal Can) on chassis or other electrolytic capacitor over heated and blew up.
Perry

tom.j.fla 04-30-2016 07:54 PM

Well blowing the dirt out most likely did help. As for ? 1) yes info is available SAMS photofact #1156-3, for $22.00 at www.samswebsite.com will be in pdf format. #2) I would defer to someone knowlageable about TV's but under watchful eye maybe. #3) See #1 and yes there are lots of books out there, check you local library. All the best,Tom

albanks 04-30-2016 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom.j.fla (Post 3161505)
Well blowing the dirt out most likely did help. As for ? 1) yes info is available SAMS photofact #1156-3, for $22.00 at www.samswebsite.com will be in pdf format. #2) I would defer to someone knowlageable about TV's but under watchful eye maybe. #3) See #1 and yes there are lots of books out there, check you local library. The informatiom you needed is on the tube chart on the side of case. The tv is a transformer less design so be very careful. A few more pics of the chassis would be helpful. Afew shots from the high voltage transfomer will helpalso check around where the big wire goes to the picture tube not coated with gonk if that area is nasty high voltage will arkover and make a hissing noise. Hope this helps. All the best,Tom

OK great, thank you for this valuable information. I appreciate that!

albanks 04-30-2016 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iong (Post 3161506)
Was it a rushing sound. Sounds like filter capacitor (Metal Can) on chassis or other electrolytic capacitor over heated and blew up.
Perry

Inside there was a metal can like object on a far side of the chassis tilted over and pushed up surrounded by what looks like dried up molten lava (rust?), it actually looks like it blew up!

zeno 05-01-2016 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albanks (Post 3161509)
Inside there was a metal can like object on a far side of the chassis tilted over and pushed up surrounded by what looks like dried up molten lava (rust?), it actually looks like it blew up!

First what you have is a common 19" Zenith late 60'- early 70's.
They were a bread & butter set. Most had a main color set then
a B&W set for the den, bedroom etc. These are what I cut my teeth on.

Sounds like the main filter can is bad. A picture will tell. Common in
the day, stocked it & once I could give you part # off the top of my
head.
You will NOT be putting a new one in BUT doing it a different way.
Lets confirm it then take it step by step. Its easy to do but you
have to do a few to make it click. All you need is an iron & small
hand tools & the right parts.

73 Zeno:smoke:

albanks 05-01-2016 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeno (Post 3161573)
First what you have is a common 19" Zenith late 60'- early 70's.
They were a bread & butter set. Most had a main color set then
a B&W set for the den, bedroom etc. These are what I cut my teeth on.

Sounds like the main filter can is bad. A picture will tell. Common in
the day, stocked it & once I could give you part # off the top of my
head.
You will NOT be putting a new one in BUT doing it a different way.
Lets confirm it then take it step by step. Its easy to do but you
have to do a few to make it click. All you need is an iron & small
hand tools & the right parts.

Thanks for taking the time to help me and provide this information. Tomorrow I will try to get a picture of the inside and what's going on there. I really like this set hope I can save it. I really look forward to hearing how this is taken care of, sounds fascinating.

Kamakiri 05-01-2016 07:55 PM

Where are you located, btw? If one of us is local, someone might be glad to lend a hand.

albanks 05-01-2016 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamakiri (Post 3161586)
Where are you located, btw? If one of us is local, someone might be glad to lend a hand.

Oh great! Anyone near Norwalk, CT?

albanks 05-03-2016 05:59 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Pictures of what's going on inside.

albanks 05-03-2016 06:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Couple more.

albanks 05-03-2016 06:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Forgot this one.

tom.j.fla 05-03-2016 06:25 PM

Looks like the main filter can upcucked and lost the magic smoke. 1 or 2 pics of the under side would be nice. 1 shot of the area where the filter can is will help. The area around where the H.V. connects to the pix tube should be cleaned that would stop H.V. leakage. All in all not a bad looking set. All the best,Tom

zeno 05-04-2016 08:01 AM

Set must have been in a damp place, lots of rust.
Probably would have ruined a lesser set.
For now some bottom pictures & write down all
the info printed on it & post it.