Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Transistor Portable Televisions (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=183)
-   -   Found a poor lonely Admiral 9" B&W hybrid set today (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=266480)

mr_fixer 03-05-2016 04:07 PM

Found a poor lonely Admiral 9" B&W hybrid set today

2 Attachment(s)
Hi All went to the flea market today and found this forlorn little 9" B&w Hybrid set
Admiral made in Taiwan uhf/VHF, I can't find a model number on the back. I think it still works as i get snow on the tube. I haven't hooked up a converter yet. if anyone would like to add this to their collection it's available, i don't need it but it was too cheap to pass up!

TVTim 03-05-2016 05:41 PM

Cute little thing.

mr_fixer 03-05-2016 06:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well i made a mistake in the description of this set. I took the back off to try and find a model number, and it is a tube set."no chassis number to be found anywhere!"
It has 11 glowing little firebottles plus the crt. I found a date code of 7126 on the main electrolytic cap which i guess this was made around 1971-1973? Kinda ironic this set has been around over 40 years, survived quite a bit of cigarette smoke, has had only 1 tube replaced, horizontal out tube. and finally outlived NTSC. somebody needs to care for this little survivor. HEY UNCLE SANDY! Do you every get out to Dickson TN?

Electronic M 03-05-2016 09:06 PM

Those are nice. I sold one of my trio (2 Admirals one Coronado) to arcanine a while back.

The three all basically worked only needing little things like tuner cleaning.

OvenMaster 03-05-2016 10:00 PM

My grandma had one of those. It was awesome. In 1980 she had one sitting on a dresser near the outside second story wall where the cable TV coax was attached to the house. We could watch free HBO on channel 2! :D

mstaton 03-05-2016 11:10 PM

Looks like a smokers set

tom.j.fla 03-06-2016 07:49 AM

Your little Admiral was built by AOC. If you look on top of the H.V. box you should find the chassis number. Most likely a TR2-1A or -2A. It is most likely a model 9P239,245,250 or 257. It can be found in SAMS folder 1245 # 1. All the best Tom

zeno 03-06-2016 08:30 AM

Also look under the set for model tags. Admiral & a few
others put them there sometimes.
These had a combo brite / contrast control, very unusual
way to save some $$ & space. On all admirals watch
the hoz hold coil. They always got pushed in & killed
the HV.

73 Zeno:smoke:

Jeffhs 03-06-2016 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_fixer (Post 3157855)
I found a date code of 7126 on the main electrolytic cap which i guess this was made around 1971-1973?

Your set was likely made between the years you mention, since it has "instant play". Many tube-powered televisions of the '70s had this feature, which kept the tube filaments on even when the set was off. This permitted the TV to come on almost immediately after it was turned on, almost like a solid-state set.

Instant-play (also known as "instant on") was banished in the late '70s due to concerns over energy waste (remember, this was the decade when the watchword was "conserve energy") and, secondarily, some people worried that any TV with this feature could be a fire hazard since the tube filaments were on 24 hours a day, even though the TV itself was off. The power switch only controlled the B+ (plate) voltage to the tubes.

Another problem with the instant-on system was that, if the instant-on diode across the power switch would short due to a lightning strike, etc., the TV would remain on, even if the switch was in the "off" position. Many people got around this by either using a switched outlet for the TV or simply unplugging the set from the AC outlet when not in use. The instant-on diode would often be removed (at the owner's request) by a technician when the set was in for repair, but this of course eliminated the instant-play feature.

dieseljeep 03-06-2016 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeno (Post 3157877)
Also look under the set for model tags. Admiral & a few
others put them there sometimes.
These had a combo brite / contrast control, very unusual
way to save some $$ & space. On all admirals watch
the hoz hold coil. They always got pushed in & killed
the HV.

It seems that Admiral and AOC built the set for like nine years, with very little changes. The one big change was the "Picture" control, which combined the contrast and the brightness control, as mentioned earlier. IIRC, that was with the Taiwan built models. Also, the tube compliment didn't change much, if at all. I never saw one without UHF.
Not a bad DX'ing set, as it had keyed AGC. :thmbsp:

DavGoodlin 03-07-2016 08:30 AM

That looks like a set I had long ago, since few 9-inchers had a one-knob tuner.
Tubes:5GS7-3HA5-4EJ7-4EH7-8JV8-17BF11-17JZ8-8CG7-33GY7...
The slug for the H-hold was buggered and I never got it locked in.:sigh:

It was a Bradford, found at a Staten Island Landfill by friends trespassing there.
Does anyone know if this set was sold under the name "Bradford" by WT Grant stores?:scratch2:

zeno 03-07-2016 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavGoodlin (Post 3157929)

It was a Bradford, found at a Staten Island Landfill by friends trespassing there.
Does anyone know if this set was sold under the name "Bradford" by WT Grant stores?:scratch2:

IIRC most Bradfords 19" & under were GE at the time. Consoles
were Wells-Gardener. The W-G sets were hybrids with modules also.
They were a decent set especially with a good replacement CRT
like a Zenith.

dieseljeep 03-07-2016 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavGoodlin (Post 3157929)

The set you had was probably an import Westinghouse. Westinghouse built sets for Grant's from the mid-60's until W/H quit TV's in around 1969. The tubes were all stamped ATC, Appliance Television Corp.
Panasonic built some of their small screen hybrid color sets at the same time.

KentTeffeteller 07-15-2016 03:52 PM

Interesting, didn't know Westinghouse built for Grant's at all. I knew GE and Wells-Gardner did.

dieseljeep 07-15-2016 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KentTeffeteller (Post 3166448)
Interesting, didn't know Westinghouse built for Grant's at all. I knew GE and Wells-Gardner did.

Some of their smaller 66 to 69 color sets were Panasonic. Radios were Arvin and Esquire, portable and smaller console stereos were Symphonic and Audio Industries. Many of their products were pretty good. :thmbsp: