Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Solid State CRT Televisions (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   What's this set? (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=265732)

Kamakiri 11-20-2015 08:30 AM

What's this set?

1 Attachment(s)
Looks like I'm picking up a freebie on CL on Sunday, the one on the bottom. Anyone recognize it?

Dubis7 11-20-2015 08:41 AM

1970s Zenith, maybe?

pac.attack76 11-20-2015 09:16 AM

Most likely a Zenith. Not sure of year but probably before 1980.

Kamakiri 11-20-2015 10:14 AM

For some reason I'm starting to really dig the ugly '70s Mediterranean looking sets :)

jbattles 11-20-2015 10:26 AM

Get the rca that's a great set.

consoleguy67 11-20-2015 10:30 AM

Wow, the 70s styles were gross!! The furniture style was very dark and overly ornate.

zeno 11-20-2015 11:51 AM

Top set RCA
Bottom set cant quite tell Maybe a Maggy. Need to
see knobs........... Worth looking into, may be a rarity.

RCA may be a CTC169 they had a killer pix but a little
hard to work on. I loved them as they always came out great,
never seen a soft jug in one.

73 Zeno:smoke:

dieseljeep 11-20-2015 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by consoleguy67 (Post 3149329)
Wow, the 70s styles were gross!! The furniture style was very dark and overly ornate.

That cabinet seems to be a little more ornate than normal, to the extent of being hideous. :thumbsdn:

Electronic M 11-20-2015 01:00 PM

Bottom one looks like a Sears or maybe Curtis Mathes set to me.

Kamakiri 11-20-2015 02:01 PM

I'm just gonna get the bottom one. Because, y'know, I have to limit myself....unless one of you wants it and wants to take possession at ETF....

Kamakiri 11-20-2015 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieseljeep (Post 3149336)
That cabinet seems to be a little more ornate than normal, to the extent of being hideous. :thumbsdn:

It IS ugly, ain't it? And it will be mine....allllllll mine :D

Jon A. 11-20-2015 02:23 PM

Man, ugly is the IN thing these days. :thmbsp:

I had two Sears-branded RCAs like the one on top, both CTC157. The cabinets are mostly Masonite and are quite sturdy. The only particle board is just above the swivel base.

Kamakiri 11-29-2015 12:09 PM

Well, the mystery is over. Zenith CCII.

The thing was heavily water damaged on the bottom (to the point where the bottom board in the back looked like it came off a shipwreck), the top was heavily scratched/damaged, the front control door missing, and the channel indicator windows were half gone.

It was a pushbutton tuner, that thing on the front that looked like a channel knob, was a sticker. Looked like someone let a preschooler have his/her way all over the front of it, possibly jabbing things at the control panel.

Wasn't worth carrying out of the basement (to me). I left it there. Yeah, might have been decent parts in there, but that was a battle I chose to retreat from.

Electronic M 11-29-2015 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamakiri (Post 3150053)
Well, the mystery is over. Zenith CCII.

The thing was heavily water damaged on the bottom (to the point where the bottom board in the back looked like it came off a shipwreck), the top was heavily scratched/damaged, the front control door missing, and the channel indicator windows were half gone.

It was a pushbutton tuner, that thing on the front that looked like a channel knob, was a sticker. Looked like someone let a preschooler have his/her way all over the front of it, possibly jabbing things at the control panel.

Wasn't worth carrying out of the basement (to me). I left it there. Yeah, might have been decent parts in there, but that was a battle I chose to retreat from.

If it had a delta-gun Zenith Chromacolor Black matrix CRT in it then that alone is a huge loss....They were perhaps the best CRTs ever made.

If that was the case I'd have taken it, saved the CRT chassis and tuner (given away/sold any of that I did not think I'd use, to anyone that might use it), and thrown out the cabinet.

There is only a finite number of parts and parts sets out there....We should save whatever we can.

jr_tech 11-29-2015 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamakiri (Post 3150053)

"You got to know when to hold them, know when to fold them"...
I would not have bothered either... you can't save them all!

jr