Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Antique Radio (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   A 1933 Jackson-Bell "Peter Pan" radio (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=272294)

decojoe67 11-26-2019 07:57 PM

A 1932 Jackson-Bell "Peter Pan" radio

1 Attachment(s)
I just got through giving this set a complete cabinet restoration. I've wanted one since I was a kid. These were west coast radios, are fairly rare, and were likely a childs radio or, as advertising described it, "perfect for the apartment". You'll find at least 4 variants of this model. This one does not come with the logging card draw. It's a great performer with it's 5 tubes and is a very charming little set.

Sandy G 11-26-2019 08:50 PM

Well, I'M in fairly Serious Lust...

decojoe67 11-27-2019 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy G (Post 3218140)
Well, I'M in fairly Serious Lust...

I've gone through that for over 40 years for this one! LOL
I saw it on a Little Rascals episode when I was very young and thought it was the coolest looking thing. It kicked off my interest in this hobby. I always chickened out at the few chances I had to acquire one because of the high price. This one was reasonable because it needed restoration and a few parts.

electronjohn 11-27-2019 03:41 PM

Beautiful work!

decojoe67 11-27-2019 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by electronjohn (Post 3218152)
Beautiful work!

Thank you. I was always intimidated with the idea of a complete cabinet restoration, but this gave me confidence. The main thing is to have a lot of patience and don't even be concerned about the finishing it. Just take it one slow step at a time.

michaelz 11-28-2019 01:20 AM

looks nice, very good job.

Titan1a 11-28-2019 03:52 AM

Jackson Bell originated the "tombstone" case. This radio is a classic in every sense of the word. The price is worth it!

decojoe67 11-28-2019 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titan1a (Post 3218159)
Jackson Bell originated the "tombstone" case. This radio is a classic in every sense of the word. The price is worth it!

Yes, you can see the kind of melding of the cathedral and tombstones shapes on this one. I love how they made the panels overlap at the top, like a little doll house. It truly can be a called a "cute" radio. It's pure eye candy. I'm still marveling at it. I paid a reasonable price for this one, but had to do a lot of work to get it to this point. Looking back, it was fun and a learning experience - and it's the way I want it rather than someone else's slant.

vortalexfan 12-08-2019 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by decojoe67 (Post 3218161)
Yes, you can see the kind of melding of the cathedral and tombstones shapes on this one. I love how they made the panels overlap at the top, like a little doll house. It truly can be a called a "cute" radio. It's pure eye candy. I'm still marveling at it. I paid a reasonable price for this one, but had to do a lot of work to get it to this point. Looking back, it was fun and a learning experience - and it's the way I want it rather than someone else's slant.

Does this set have a power transformer or is it a "curtain burner" transformerless model?

Titan1a 12-09-2019 03:25 AM

Definitely power transformer.

decojoe67 12-09-2019 04:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Titan1a (Post 3218574)
Definitely power transformer.

Yes. It's has a deep hefty 5 tube chassis and performers well. The mini Peter Pan cathedral is a 4-tuber, but I believe they have a PT too.
I have one pic of the back (you can see the PT behind the 2 right side tubes):