Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Porta color (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=269868)

1911nutjob 12-11-2017 09:27 PM

Porta color

Hello guys, first time poster here. My love for tube gear pushed me to buy a porta color that was restored by a pro (I believe it’s a ‘67). I also bought a garage sale find as a parts donor. I’ve read the good and bad things said about these sets here, but this is a practical sized set to collect for my modest sized home.

Can you guys help me out with Sam’s photofacts and sources for spare parts, especially flybacks? I’m also looking for more of these sets for the crazy idea of building a boneyard of sorts. Any and all answers are welcome, even if they’re just to call me nuts.

Electronic M 12-11-2017 10:18 PM

There was an early and a later porta color chassis that had revisions and thus different schematics. I scanned a photocopy of the early version's Sam's folder for a member here a few years back...I probably still have the file somewhere.

dieseljeep 12-12-2017 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911nutjob (Post 3193313)
Hello guys, first time poster here. My love for tube gear pushed me to buy a porta color that was restored by a pro (I believe it’s a ‘67). I also bought a garage sale find as a parts donor. I’ve read the good and bad things said about these sets here, but this is a practical sized set to collect for my modest sized home.

Can you guys help me out with Sam’s photofacts and sources for spare parts, especially flybacks? I’m also looking for more of these sets for the crazy idea of building a boneyard of sorts. Any and all answers are welcome, even if they’re just to call me nuts.

I've never seen a flyback failure on a Porta-Color. I don't think the HV was that high on those sets.
I have two from the later 70's with high focus voltage CRT's and one from 1973 with low focus voltage CRT. The newer sets have a slightly better picture. :thmbsp:

1911nutjob 12-12-2017 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieseljeep (Post 3193328)
I've never seen a flyback failure on a Porta-Color. I don't think the HV was that high on those sets.
I have two from the later 70's with high focus voltage CRT's and one from 1973 with low focus voltage CRT. The newer sets have a slightly better picture. :thmbsp:

I’ve read that about the newer sets, hope to find one someday. These things don’t come up on evilbay too often. There’s a guy on YouTube taking one out of the box NOS. I could never get that lucky!

zeno 12-13-2017 07:22 AM

Never put a FBT in a portacolor either. Keep in mind many GE
FBT's came in 3 separate parts to order. Core halves with spacers
& U bolt, HV winding, and pulse winding.

73 Zeno:smoke:
LFOD !

user181 12-13-2017 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeno (Post 3193374)
Never put a FBT in a portacolor either. Keep in mind many GE

FBT's came in 3 separate parts to order. Core halves with spacers

& U bolt, HV winding, and pulse winding.

73 Zeno:smoke:

LFOD !

The Thordarson FLY-641 is supposed to be an improved replacement for the original. I got mine from Moyer Electronics, to have as a spare.

1911nutjob 12-13-2017 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by user181 (Post 3193384)
The Thordarson FLY-641 is supposed to be an improved replacement for the original. I got mine from Moyer Electronics, to have as a spare.

I just tried searching their website but no dice with that part number. Thanks for the referral, guess I’ll call them instead. Can you steer me towards factory service literature?

user181 12-14-2017 09:43 AM

Porta color

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911nutjob (Post 3193423)
I just tried searching their website but no dice with that part number. Thanks for the referral, guess I’ll call them instead. Can you steer me towards factory service literature?

I don't know of factory service literature -- just the Sams Photofacts. What is the model number or chassis number of your set? That will dictate which Photofact folder you need.

I've compiled a spreadsheet of Porta Color model numbers and their corresponding chassis number and Photofact folder. You can view it here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GP8SKSV7EBjYWrVu7AtFUl2oU7p1eyz8LaaJfeEFIYk/edit?usp=docslist_api

I welcome any additions and/or corrections to this document.

1911nutjob 12-14-2017 03:19 PM

Unfortunately the factory labels for this set are long gone. I guessed the year of manufacture based on the cabinet and earlier tube lineup, including the 11sp22 crt.

user181 12-14-2017 04:47 PM

Have you opened it up? There ought to be some designations inside. At the very least, if you take some photos (external and/or internal), somebody could help identify it.

bgadow 12-14-2017 09:29 PM

I had to replace the flyback in my later model (mid-70's) Portacolor. I used a Thordarson from Moyers.

1911nutjob 12-15-2017 12:42 AM

I had it open when it first arrived to attach the power cord, don’t remember seeing any notable labels other than the CRT. I could check again. If it helps at all, the uhf tuner does not have the click stops. I’d gladly post pics but I don’t know what to do since the photobucket fiasco.

The tube lineup is 2gk5, 4lj8, 8ar11, 6lt8, 8bu11, 8bq11, 12jf5, 17bw3, 6ac10, 11fy7, 1ad2, 11bt11, and 12bf11.

Tom9589 12-15-2017 08:31 AM

Based on the tube lineup, your set is not the H1 chassis, the earliest model. I had the H1 chassis and it had different HO and damper tubes (12GE5 and 12AX3).

My set developed a heater-to-cathode short in one of the CRT guns. Since there was already an isolation transmission transformer in the CRT filament circuit, I simply removed the 220K resistor tying the CRT filament to +145V.

Later on, I came across the later version CRT (11WP22) and replaced the 11SP22. The improvement was quite noticeable due to the smaller dot size of the 11WP22.

user181 12-15-2017 11:06 AM

I may add the tube lineups to my spreadsheet for each chassis, if anyone thinks it's worthwhile.

Electronic M 12-15-2017 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911nutjob (Post 3193466)
I’d gladly post pics but I don’t know what to do since the photobucket fiasco.

Flickr is a good alternative....I was lucky: My bucket filled a few months before the ransom fiasco, and I said "screw it, I'm not paying them for more space", and went to flickr (thus I did not need to search for an alternative hosting site when the sud hit the fan).

1911nutjob 12-15-2017 06:52 PM

User181, anything you do is helpful to me. I can poke around a tube amp, but I’m just getting my feet wet in tv.

dieseljeep 12-15-2017 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911nutjob (Post 3193466)
I had it open when it first arrived to attach the power cord, don’t remember seeing any notable labels other than the CRT. I could check again. If it helps at all, the uhf tuner does not have the click stops. I’d gladly post pics but I don’t know what to do since the photobucket fiasco.

The tube lineup is 2gk5, 4lj8, 8ar11, 6lt8, 8bu11, 8bq11, 12jf5, 17bw3, 6ac10, 11fy7, 1ad2, 11bt11, and 12bf11.

Looking at your entry #9, you state that the CRT is an 11SP22. I wonder if that's the original CRT.
I have an HD chassis that uses the 12JF5 and 17BW3, plus the 11WP22 and uses a 1DB3 HV rectifier instead of the 1AD2.
If you check carefully, the chassis number might stamped on the HV cage.
BTW, did you check to see if the mini-manual is in the small compartment on the back of the set?

dieseljeep 12-15-2017 09:11 PM

Mistake on Mini-manual!

None of my Porta-Colors came through with Mini-Manuals. Only the newer solid state models had them. :sigh:

1911nutjob 12-16-2017 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieseljeep (Post 3193503)
None of my Porta-Colors came through with Mini-Manuals. Only the newer solid state models had them. :sigh:

Mine did NOT have the mini manual.😡☹️ I’m going off of memory on the CRT, so I could be wrong on the number. It’s also entirely possible this isn’t the original tube, as I bought it restored from a guy who says he was an authorized service technician when these were on the store shelves. I’m familiar with 12ax7’s and the like, compactrons are new territory for me.

1911nutjob 12-16-2017 12:53 AM

Got another clue; mine looks identical to a ‘72 model another member here sent me a photo of.

dieseljeep 12-16-2017 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911nutjob (Post 3193517)
Mine did NOT have the mini manual.��☹️ I’m going off of memory on the CRT, so I could be wrong on the number. It’s also entirely possible this isn’t the original tube, as I bought it restored from a guy who says he was an authorized service technician when these were on the store shelves. I’m familiar with 12ax7’s and the like, compactrons are new territory for me.

It's probably two or more sets made into one!
I scrapped a 1970 set that had a 11WP22 from new, so the 11SP22 was from an earlier model.
Compactron tubes are multi-section tubes that are really not that different than single or dual unit tubes that you're familiar with.
Example: the 6AC10 is like a triple unit 12AU7. Looking at the schematic will help you understand. :thmbsp:

user181 12-16-2017 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieseljeep (Post 3193528)
Compactron tubes are multi-section tubes that are really not that different than single or dual unit tubes that you're familiar with.

Example: the 6AC10 is like a triple unit 12AU7. Looking at the schematic will help you understand. :thmbsp:

Yea. Consider Compactrons to be the electron tube equivalent of a silicon integrated circuit chip, in a way. Loosely equivalent in principle.

1911nutjob 12-16-2017 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by user181 (Post 3193542)
Yea. Consider Compactrons to be the electron tube equivalent of a silicon integrated circuit chip, in a way. Loosely equivalent in principle.

It’s just gonna be awhile before I have the numerics down. I can tell what a gz34 or 6973 does off the top of my head. Been reading up on concepts I didn’t need to know before like convergence and sync too. Thanks to a pm here I have another working set on its way to me; you guys are great! Keep the good stuff coming.

dieseljeep 12-17-2017 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911nutjob (Post 3193548)
It’s just gonna be awhile before I have the numerics down. I can tell what a gz34 or 6973 does off the top of my head. Been reading up on concepts I didn’t need to know before like convergence and sync too. Thanks to a pm here I have another working set on its way to me; you guys are great! Keep the good stuff coming.

Not many people who work on old radios or amplifiers are familiar with Compactron tubes. It's strictly a TV thing, especially GE's. :scratch2:

Electronic M 12-17-2017 11:29 AM

There were/are some compactron based audio amps, but not many.

dieseljeep 12-17-2017 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electronic M (Post 3193581)
There were/are some compactron based audio amps, but not many.

Weren't you thinking of Novar based tubes, 7868 RCA's answer to the 7591?

Electronic M 12-17-2017 07:03 PM

Possible, I tend to think of all (non-octal) tubes of that diameter as compactrons irrespective of their pin count. The one vintage amp I saw was in an organ...I don't remember the number and never pulled the tube.

Audiophiles are making amps with compactrons now as a way to use cheaper tubes.

1911nutjob 12-18-2017 02:50 AM

Since the conversation has shifted focus to compactrons, I guess now is the time to ask. Can you guys recommend a compactron tester I could find easily on fleabay? If one tube goes bad I don’t want to do the Christmas light trial and error thingy. Series string isn’t something you typically see on the hifi side.

dieseljeep 12-18-2017 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911nutjob (Post 3193631)
Since the conversation has shifted focus to compactrons, I guess now is the time to ask. Can you guys recommend a compactron tester I could find easily on fleabay? If one tube goes bad I don’t want to do the Christmas light trial and error thingy. Series string isn’t something you typically see on the hifi side.

A tube manual and multi-meter set on ohms or continuity is all you need to find an open heater. Compactron tubes, the heater pin are 1&12, either side of the gap.
Re: the tube checker! A Sencore Mighty-mite or other modern tube checker that has Compactron and Novar sockets would do fine.
I bought a full compliment of tubes for my PortaColors, except the 12JF5 for a buck each from ESRC, dollar-days list.
For the damper tube I use a 19CG3 instead. It's a better tube and two extra volts in the heater string is better. :thmbsp:

maxhifi 12-18-2017 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911nutjob (Post 3193631)
since the conversation has shifted focus to compactrons, i guess now is the time to ask. Can you guys recommend a compactron tester i could find easily on fleabay? If one tube goes bad i don’t want to do the christmas light trial and error thingy. Series string isn’t something you typically see on the hifi side.

eico 667, that's what I use and I am very happy with it. If you don't plan on getting too heavy into this, a spare set of tubes you can substitute in as required would be much cheaper

Electronic M 12-18-2017 06:22 PM

My B&K dyna-jet 606 has served me well on everything octal and newer.

1911nutjob 12-18-2017 08:25 PM

Already got a set of spares. I could use a tester for some other projects anyway, so it wouldn’t be wasted money. I’m starting to think maybe I bit off more than I can chew, and should have started with black and white tv first. I’m learning that color has a lot more going on.

dieseljeep 12-18-2017 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911nutjob (Post 3193652)
Already got a set of spares. I could use a tester for some other projects anyway, so it wouldn’t be wasted money. I’m starting to think maybe I bit off more than I can chew, and should have started with black and white tv first. I’m learning that color has a lot more going on.

I was under the impression that the set was working.
What about the other set you mentioned as having for parts. Does it work?

1911nutjob 12-18-2017 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieseljeep (Post 3193653)
I was under the impression that the set was working.
What about the other set you mentioned as having for parts. Does it work?

Sorry for the confusion-yes, the restored set is working like brand new and has the upgraded polarized cord to avoid a hot chassis. I just like to have spares of everything, hence my search for parts. I’d like to start cutting my teeth on the donor set to learn what I’m doing.

dieseljeep 12-19-2017 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911nutjob (Post 3193655)
Sorry for the confusion-yes, the restored set is working like brand new and has the upgraded polarized cord to avoid a hot chassis. I just like to have spares of everything, hence my search for parts. I’d like to start cutting my teeth on the donor set to learn what I’m doing.

Every PortaColor ever made came from the factory with a polarized power cord from the first one.
It seems that every transformerless GE set, B/W and color was equipped that way. Also, most other US makes from the early 60's did as well. Probably easier to get U/L approval. :thmbsp:

maxhifi 12-19-2017 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieseljeep (Post 3193672)
Every PortaColor ever made came from the factory with a polarized power cord from the first one.
It seems that every transformerless GE set, B/W and color was equipped that way. Also, most other US makes from the early 60's did as well. Probably easier to get U/L approval. :thmbsp:

Not Zenith though, or Admiral.

old_tv_nut 12-19-2017 11:18 AM

Quote:

Well, there is no "easier" - you either get it or not. In the 60s or early 70s, UL increased the required temperature rating of all internal wiring. I remember Motorola replacing all their wire stock with the new stuff, which had to be stamped all along its length with the new temp rating number.

1911nutjob 12-20-2017 01:34 AM

Quote:

Didn’t know that. Mine came with a non polarized plug which proved defective later, so the seller replaced it on his dime. It didn’t look new, and it didn’t look like a blade was ground down. Old aftermarket replacement maybe? UL hadn’t even crossed my mind.

user181 12-20-2017 08:37 AM

Is the purpose of the polarized cord solely for safety, or are there any other reasons as well?

My set's plug was replaced at one point, and the replacement plug is non-polarized. Is there any concern/risk of damage to the set if it's operated with the polarity flipped? I wouldn't think so, but just wanted to ask.

Electronic M 12-20-2017 09:38 AM

The interlock on the back of the set it's self is polarized. The plug on the cord should be to if original or correct replacement.
The main advantage of a polarized cord is that the building neutral ( which is grounded) can be always wired to chassis (assuming the electrician that wired your building wired the outlet polarity correctly) making the set safer.
Since the 50's the UL required hot chassis sets to not have any exposed metal cabinet hardware with connection to the chassis so the polarized cord is redundant.
The set does not care about polarity given to it.