Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Solid State CRT Televisions (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   1984 RCA XL100 from an estate sale (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=266132)

TUD1 01-20-2016 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffhs (Post 3154507)
Yes, that set does look good in your room. The room must be fair-sized if you are able to fit a console TV and a floor-standing Zenith antique radio in there, but you did it. That is all that counts. :thmbsp: My apartment is too small to accomodate even one console TV, but I do have a collection of small table radios, almost all Zeniths from the 1950s and '60s. What can I say, I like Zenith. :yes:

Thanks, I appreciate that. I think the room is 13' by 9', but I could be wrong.

The TV is a remote set. It says Remote Control right under XL100. It has the regular volume up/down, power, and channel up/down. It also has some channel memory buttons.

Electronic M 01-20-2016 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffhs (Post 3154507)
Yes, that set does look good in your room. The room must be fair-sized if you are able to fit a console TV and a floor-standing Zenith antique radio in there, but you did it. That is all that counts. :thmbsp: My apartment is too small to accomodate even one console TV, but I do have a collection of small table radios, almost all Zeniths from the 1950s and '60s. What can I say, I like Zenith. :yes:

You must have a really TINY studio apartment. Back when I lived in an apartment I was able to fit 5 TV consoles (4 were as big or bigger), 3 radio consoles, 3 table TVs, ~40 table radios, a few cubic feet of LPs, 2 equipment cases (one stereo one video), a bunch of other stuff, and a bed in my bedroom and STILL have an open patch of floor the size of a dinner table (granted I usually worked on electronics on that patch of floor so it would shrink).

TVTim 01-20-2016 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TUD1 (Post 3154389)
After finishing the long, laborious task of cleaning my room, I was finally able to install the TV.

Great RCA and Kirby vacuum!!

TUD1 01-20-2016 06:47 PM

Thanks! I collect all sorts of vintage vacuums. I even have a whole room dedicated for them! The vacuum pictured is actually a Royal, but they are similar in many ways, so I can understand the confusion.

rcaman 01-21-2016 01:40 AM

it is an ctc-120 one of the best chassis they made in the eighty's. i sold tons of them very trouble free. sure miss those days.

pac.attack76 01-21-2016 10:08 AM

Size of a room or apartment isn't an excuse. Me, my wife, and baby lived in one room with a full size bed, computer, two refrigerators ( which we eventually went to one refrigerator and a upright freezer), about 5 console sets, a few 19" sets, at one point, a 60" projection and a 52", 5 six foot arcade cabinets, microwave, not to mention our personal belongings, and all my games and systems. Space is what you make of it. We did that for a couple years until we were able to move. Wasn't the most pleasant thing in the world but I didn't have to sacrifice anything. I get a kick out of people when they say that they don't have room for ONE thing or that they have to get rid of something due to space. Hilarious.

dieseljeep 01-21-2016 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TUD1 (Post 3154437)
For some reason, the remote-control supplied by Charter cable does not work with this TV. I programmed every code for RCA into the remote, and none of them worked.

The set chassis view looks like an RCA with the ultra-sonic remote, but 1984 is too new for that! :scratch2:

TUD1 02-02-2016 09:44 PM

The 1984 RCA XL-100 CTC-120 had a capastrophe! I was just sitting there minding my own business, and all at once, the picture went berserk! The large multi section capacitor failed and the picture became extremely distorted with a large white circle in the middle. I am now using my backup TV, (which I knew I'd need sooner or later) the 1979 Quasar.

Outland 02-02-2016 10:47 PM

Wow, that's unfortunate.

TUD1 02-02-2016 11:05 PM

You got that right. Two things broken in two days. Yesterday my Electrolux 1205's power nozzle snapped its belt (my fault - accidentally sucked up a shoelace.) What'll it be tomorrow? My CAR?

dieseljeep 02-03-2016 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TUD1 (Post 3155567)
You got that right. Two things broken in two days. Yesterday my Electrolux 1205's power nozzle snapped it's belt (my fault - accidentally sucked up a shoelace.) What'll it be tomorrow? My CAR?

I have an Electrolux tank type cleaner that uses the power nozzle. I don't know how old it is, but it seems like that last of the real high quality, well built cleaners. :thmbsp:
Some of those belts are rather pricey. :scratch2:

radiotvnut 02-03-2016 04:27 PM

That electrolytic can capacitor is the most common failure on that chassis.

TUD1 02-03-2016 05:13 PM

That's what I've heard, Radiotvnut. I may have one of those capacitors. But I doubt it. I think it's the 600 mfd section that's bad?

TUD1 02-03-2016 08:56 PM

The closest thing I can find to a 600 mfd is a 550 mfd at 385 volts. If I have to, I can tack in a 47 mfd alongside the 550. See here.

There is also an 800 mfd. Which would be better? I've heard it's OK to go up, but I don't know about almost double the value. Wouldn't it make the B+ too high? Here.

TUD1 02-06-2016 12:14 PM

Instead of paying lots of money for a new capacitor, I just went to the radio club downtown and made one. I found some 330 mfd Nichicons at 200 volts. I just soldered some wires to them so I can easily replace that big can thing.