Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Recorded Video (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   Early video movie club (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=247300)

Zenith26kc20 03-10-2010 02:55 PM

Early video movie club

Before the internet, I was a member of a group (wish I could remember their name) that would tape obscure movies from TV (over the air). We had a newsletter of members and the movies they owned. To get a "copy", one would send a blank tape to the member and they would make a copy and send it back. I obtained a number of really obscure movies back then (am watching "the Monitors" right now.... on BETA!) and it reminded me of the group.
Anyone remember the group?

classictv80s 03-10-2010 11:36 PM

There was a group called the Betaphile Club that existed in the late 1980s and early 1990s, which I learned about through Ray Glasser's Beta web site. Would that be the one you're thinking of?

leadlike 03-12-2010 12:04 PM

My father, Bill Epler, ran such a service from about 1984 to '94 or so. As a result, has has about 8,000 VHS tapes of such OTA recordings. His deal was that if you had something to trade, he would follow the system described above. He dealt in VHS and CED discs only, no Beta.

As a kid at the time, I remember my friends being shocked that we owned six VCRs and had so many tapes. I also remember that he also had some Disney stuff that had yet to be available on video that was popular for trades. Another favorite memory was Dad getting $100 dollars out of the bank to buy 10 VHS tapes. Oh, and Dad running all over the house to his various dubbing decks. He staggered his recordings so he would have to get up ever fifteen minutes or so to make a tape change.

Dude111 07-05-2018 12:38 AM

Quote:

My father, Bill Epler, ran such a service from about 1984 to '94 or so. As a result, has has about 8,000 VHS tapes of such OTA recordings.
I would LOVE talking to him!!!!!

I am looking for some stuff recorded from analogue cable because they ruined it on the official VHS tape!

Im looking for these

1) The Goonies - 1985 (Digitally processed on the official warner bros tape)
2) ET - 1982 (Digitally recorded on official tape (1988 (US release)))
3) Back to the future II (1989) and III (1990 (Both digitally mastered on official tape (I have the first one recorded from HBO on 4/1/87 (Analogue cable))))

And i would love to get some good analogue recordings of shows I userd to watch on TV!!

1) The price is right
2) Match game

Ahhhhhhh I could go on and on!!!!!!!!!

WISCOJIM 07-05-2018 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude111 (Post 3201706)
Ahhhhhhh I could go on and on!!!!!!!!!

Looks like you've had a nice night of browsing and responding to old threads. This one was dead more than 8 years before you found it.

Electronic M 07-05-2018 11:28 AM

Dude really seems to like dead threads...Makes me wonder if he also keeps a lot of taxidermy animals? :scratch2:

Dude111 07-06-2018 11:17 AM

Thank you for the kind words you guys :)

bgadow 07-06-2018 09:26 PM

Hey, I missed it the first go 'round (or totally forgot about it) so, thanks Dude!

Dude111 07-07-2018 06:07 AM

Yes Im always looking for tapes that come to salvation army like this!

I got the movie QUICK CHANGE (1990) someone had recorded from OTA TV! (A local channel in my area) -- Not even cable TV!!

This movie was also ruined on its offiical VHS tape (Digitally processed) so getting it from analogue TV is gold!!!!!!!!

I also got ET the same way! (Recorded from the same channel -- ABSOLUTE GOLD!!)

Quick change is edited for TV but its still MUCH BETTER than it would be on its official tape!!! (E.T. is not edited)