Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   1961 zenith 16H32 “the barrett” (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=270139)

LADR 02-14-2018 11:52 PM

1961 zenith 16H32 “the barrett”

3 Attachment(s)
Saw this set for sale on fäcëböök and I thought it was cool so I decided to get it. After a 4 hour round trip, i got it home and plugged it in and no picture, sound or HV. I checked the fuse and it was cremated so i put and new one in and this time the 3DG4 rectifier starts throwing purple sparks and blew the fuse. I took the chassis out to check the filters for shorts and no shorts were found so I thought it was the rectifier tube shorting when the HV starts so I ordered a NOS 3DG4. The new tube arrives and i put it in the set but this time the HV starts up and i can hear the vertical running, and then a raster! I put the chassis back in to the cabinet and reattached the tuner and was surprised with strong snow and loud sound. I hook up the converter box and there was a nice picture but the horizontal won’t stop rolling. I asked around as to why it’s doing this and someone told me the phase detector diode was causing this so a fellow collector sent me an exact replacement and as the replacement was on its way, i tested all the tubes in the horizontal circuit and all was good except for the 6HS8. The 6HS8 tested very weak so I ordered one and its still on its way. I have decided not to replace the diode until i see what a new 6HS8 will do. I’ll update the horizontal problem when the tube gets here.

MadMan 02-15-2018 03:02 AM

Nice looking set.

LADR 02-15-2018 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMan (Post 3196216)
Nice looking set.

Thanks!

LADR 04-11-2018 02:07 AM

An update

I have now got the new 6HS8 in and i have replaced the phase detector diode and all but two caps. The horizontal is somewhat stable but not good enough. I replaced the 6GH8 with a NOS one- no difference. Soon i will be replacing rest of the caps and a few resistors in the horizontal circuit and a few resistors on the 6EM7 to hopefully get rid of the annoying lines on top of the picture.

zeno 04-11-2018 08:54 AM

These sets were so damn good its almost a crime. I loved working on
them but didnt do many cause they didnt break. Best B&W sets ever
built IMHO.

For the vert there is an electrolytic in the cathode of the V out.
Its usually part of a can. Next is the integrators, 3 legged discs that
have 87 on them and a color dot. After that caps in vert feedback. Also
watch for high value resistors in the V size area.

73 Zeno:smoke:
LFOD !

LADR 04-11-2018 10:27 AM

I just got done replacing the bumble bomb and ceramic cap. Now the set shows some more improvement.

LADR 04-25-2018 03:24 PM

I sold the bumblebee cap on ebay for $25. I got a sams for the set and its helping ALOT. When I order rest of the parts for this set, that should be it. I am sick of working on it.

LADR 08-10-2018 01:24 PM

Finally got the horizontal to lock, it was two bad 100k resistors.

LADR 09-11-2018 05:13 PM

More progress. Got more oot resistors replaced and a 40 mfd replaced

Blast 09-11-2018 05:27 PM

Nice!

davet753 09-11-2018 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LADR (Post 3198674)
I sold the bumblebee cap on ebay for $25. I got a sams for the set and its helping ALOT. When I order rest of the parts for this set, that should be it. I am sick of working on it.

Please excuse my ignorance, but I can't figure out why people are buying bumble bee caps on ebay. I replace every one I find, and have thrown away hundreds of them over the years. My experience with bumblebee caps is they're a ticking time bomb, just waiting to split open and cause problems.

If they're worth something to somebody, I guess I ought to be hanging on to them.

Electronic M 09-11-2018 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davet753 (Post 3203844)
Please excuse my ignorance, but I can't figure out why people are buying bumble bee caps on ebay. I replace every one I find, and have thrown away hundreds of them over the years. My experience with bumblebee caps is they're a ticking time bomb, just waiting to split open and cause problems.

If they're worth something to somebody, I guess I ought to be hanging on to them.

Some very valuable electric guitars used them as the OEM caps. The application only has a few mV- maybe a volt across the caps. So even ones that would smoke your TVs flyback will do the job in a guitar...On a $700 restoration of a $5K guitar 60 bucks for the correct original type caps that give the correct sound is nothing...At least to that market.

init4fun 09-11-2018 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davet753 (Post 3203844)

:screwy: For real , there are people who believe bumble bee caps have some sort of "magical" ability to give the Rock & Roll fuzzy distortion sound that will make them the next big thing . It's not your fellow vintage vacuum tube equipment restorers buying them , it's musicians in their never ending quest to pair "Art" with electronics to = rich & famous .

:tongue: And to the rest of us , they're worthless , so if you can get $25 for each one of them on Ebay , by all means sell as many of em as ya got !!!!

davet753 09-12-2018 09:02 AM

Good information to know, thank you.

Knowing this, I'll sure be hanging on to any bumblebee caps I come across from now on. Now all we need is someone to get a rumor started that weak tubes, wax-dipped paper caps, and old out-of-tolerance resistors make a guitar amp sound better....we could all make some $$ in this hobby.

LADR 12-06-2018 01:46 PM

I’m about one electrolytic away from finishing this set.