Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Zenith film (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=270400)

zeno 05-02-2018 02:18 PM

Zenith film

Great propaganda film from Zenith.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ENdQorVniU

Stumbled across it. Hadnt seen it before.

73 Zeno:smoke:
LFOD !

TUD1 05-02-2018 03:05 PM

Saw this a few weeks ago, was going to share it but forgot. Really neat film! Almost converted me to a full blown Zenith fanboy! (Almost)

Electronic M 05-02-2018 03:36 PM

Great video I'm going to have to download it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TUD1 (Post 3198944)
Saw this a few weeks ago, was going to share it but forgot. Really neat film! Almost converted me to a full blown Zenith fanboy! (Almost)

With all the things I've read about Sarnoff I'll always be more of a Zenith person... Color set wise both can produce comparablely spectacular pictures... longevity wise having ran both daily for years Zenith sets average longer between failures in sets with comparable mileage on the clock.

zeno 05-02-2018 03:56 PM

C'mon TUD be a convert ! Cant beat an old Zenith for pure life expectancy.
Actually I wish some of the cats here found some of the early SS sets besides
the usual RCA & Zenith. Admiral, Philco, Sillyvania, Maggie, GE, Wells Gardener, Electrohome, Moto, etc.
Those late 60' through the 70's SS sets were the cats ass. Hmmm I smell another tread.

LFOD !

Quote:

Originally Posted by TUD1 (Post 3198944)

TUD1 05-02-2018 05:30 PM

Don't get me wrong. I love my Chromacolors and Chromacolor II's, there's no doubt about that. Definitely very robust sets with amazing pictures. The Zeniths that AREN'T my favorites are those made between 1966 and 1969. I've had FOUR come and go over the years, (1) 20X1C38, (1) 20Y1C50, (1) 16Z7C50, and (1)16Z7C19, and every single one had a RUBBISH picture. Compared to my CTC-25's and CTC-28 of the same era, there was NO competition. Even my CTC-31 craps on the 20Y1C50, they sit side by side and the picture quality difference is very obvious. HOWEVER, 1961-1965 sets I do very much like. I had a 25MC36 with a million hours on it last year, and it performed very well for the horrible shape it was in.

Robert Grant 05-02-2018 10:02 PM

To hear them say "color TV is out of the experimental phase", I was surprised to see the sets they were pitching (no pun intended) were not roundies.

old_tv_nut 05-02-2018 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Grant (Post 3198968)
To hear them say "color TV is out of the experimental phase", I was surprised to see the sets they were pitching (no pun intended) were not roundies.

At the time this film was made, there was still a lot of public sentiment about "waiting until color TV is perfected."

When people would ask "when do you think color TV will be perfected?" I always said I hoped it never was, because that was my job!

Electronic M 05-02-2018 10:52 PM

Perfection is impossible, practicality is what matters. By the late 50's color TV was practical...Albeit expensive, and not for less-than-savy users.

Titan1a 05-03-2018 02:31 AM

Don't forget Zenith tube radios. I got three of 'em!

Adam 05-03-2018 08:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The best looking color picture I ever had was on this 1968 Zenith console I swapped a later model chromacolor CRT out of a 77 Zenith console into.

Of the three color Zeniths I have now from the rectangular tube/hybrid era two have bad CRTs: the 25" 14A9C50 console with the SC600 (1970), and the 25" 23XC36 with the SC600 (1967) in the white french provincial cabinet. I got another 1977 Zenith 23VATP22 chromacolor CRT that's going in the 14A9C50 later this summer. And I got an RCA 25XP22A from 1980 I have to de-cateract that's going to go in the 23XC36.

DavGoodlin 05-03-2018 02:03 PM

Looks great Adam, the CRT does matter with the earlier rectangular Zeniths.

davet753 05-04-2018 06:43 PM

When I went to work in the TV biz as a teenager, the guy I worked for had been an RCA authorized servicer for over 30 years. He knew RCA's inside and out, and loved them.

But what kind of TV did he have at home? A "works in the drawer" Quasar console and a 4-tube hybrid Zenith. Despite his being an RCA guy, he even admitted Zenith had the edge on quality and dependability. The longer I mess around with this stuff, the more I understand his wisdom.

zeno 05-05-2018 06:50 AM

We were a Zenith / Admiral shop. For years in the center of town an
RCA factory service van was there. One day it pulled up in front of
the shop & he came in & bought a 19" System 3. Said he liked them
better & didnt care about a discount.
Sarnoff must be rolling in his grave. Dude in RCA uniform bringing home
an arch enemies TV in an RCA van with RCA's gas.
Treason !!!

LFOD !

Quote:

Originally Posted by davet753 (Post 3199041)
When I went to work in the TV biz as a teenager, the guy I worked for had been an RCA authorized servicer for over 30 years. He knew RCA's inside and out, and loved them.

But what kind of TV did he have at home? A "works in the drawer" Quasar console and a 4-tube hybrid Zenith. Despite his being an RCA guy, he even admitted Zenith had the edge on quality and dependability. The longer I mess around with this stuff, the more I understand his wisdom.

user181 05-05-2018 09:00 PM

Interesting how they called PCBs a "manufacturing shortcut."

Granted, printed circuit boards were not very good at first. And, I know Zenith really pushed their "handcrafted" approach.

davet753 05-06-2018 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by user181 (Post 3199080)
Interesting how they called PCBs a "manufacturing shortcut."

Granted, printed circuit boards were not very good at first. And, I know Zenith really pushed their "handcrafted" approach.

Yeah, Zenith pushed hard on the "handcrafted" angle, and to a certain extent, I'd say it paid off. PCB's make perfect sense for solid state construction, but not so much for tubes and all the heat that goes along with that. Zenith started phasing in printed circuits as construction methods advanced, and even then reserved them mostly for solid state circuits.