Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Solid State CRT Televisions (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   1988 Zenith Custom Series 25" console model E2502G issue (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=267197)

pac.attack76 06-12-2016 10:21 AM

1988 Zenith Custom Series 25" console model E2502G issue

Picked this one up the other day with another set. Testing it revealed a loud noise through the speaker and about 4 inch rise from the bottom of the screen. The loud noise can't be turned down and seems to be related to the screen issue. Sounds like interference from something. Any ideas?:scratch2:

zeno 06-12-2016 12:32 PM

Looks like the CRT is good. Sounds like 2 problems.
Vert is probably 'lytics.
Audio beats me. Try putting all the audio settings in
normal mono.

73 Zeno:smoke:

pac.attack76 06-12-2016 03:29 PM

Ok, so caps then. Man, I'm gonna be ordering alot:D
audio will just have to be fiddled with. It was real loud screeching and when I tried to turn it down, I couldn't.

radiotvnut 06-12-2016 04:49 PM

If this set uses a 9-516 main module, there is a capacitor in the power supply and it's located under a metal shield at the front corner of the module. This is probably not causing your issue; but, it's a high failure part that should be replaced. The symptoms are a set that keeps clicking and tries to start at turn-on. If you leave the set on for a few minutes, the CRT will eventually start flashing; but, the picture will be pulled in on all four sides. If you leave the set on longer, it will eventually come to life. IIRC, there is another cap on that module that is located in front of the flyback and it was also a high failure part. I think it was something between a 4.7 uf-10 uf @350V.

zeno 06-12-2016 06:44 PM

If you are going to work on solid state sets I STRONGLY recomend
getting either a Sencore PR57 or the similar B&K model.
Costs a lot more but in one box you get the variac and isolation.
Also it has all the metering you need. The B&K also has an
adjustable AC outlet for a soldering iron.

Thinking on the audio try putting it in ext scorce & try a DVD.
With the symptom & the look of the screen it may be a micro
problem. Look into that first as it may be a deal breaker. The
vert may just be cold joints under the vert IC.

Nudies are pics of the insides. We can relate better to them
than model ##'s etc usually.
The caps radiotvnut refered to IIRC one is in front of the flyback
& the other behind it. He always gives good tips.

73 Zeno

pac.attack76 06-12-2016 07:00 PM

Agreed. I was definitely thinking on the pr57. As for the Nudies, I had a suspicion. Yeah, the inside would help more. I'll get those up as soon as possible.:thmbsp:

pac.attack76 06-20-2016 08:30 PM

Went in the trash today. No time to bother with. Had it been nicer, I would have put the time in it. Got too many projects now.