Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Solid State CRT Televisions (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   RCA mini B&W tv with a very dark screen (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=270681)

Sealtest 07-16-2018 09:23 PM

RCA mini B&W tv with a very dark screen

I picked up this little RCA from the local recycling center. It powers on and I can see snow, but the screen barley lights up. The brightness and contrast are maxed out and did slightly help, but the screen is still too dim to see anything.

What could be causing this? I wasn't sure if bad caps could cause this or what, but recapping this could be an option. I would just need to grab a few newer TVs and pull the high voltage caps out of it.

Popester 07-16-2018 11:31 PM

Don't rule out the possibility of a bad jug. Could also be a cap or transistor in video drive circuitry.

Eric H 07-17-2018 12:53 AM

Model number, or picture?
Is this one of the 8" sets from the 50's or a newer solid state set?

Older set has an Ion trap that could affect the brightness.

zeno 07-17-2018 09:39 AM

Most likely CRT. If you leave it on & it slowly gets brighter
99% its the CRT.

73 Zeno:smoke:
LFOD !

Sealtest 07-23-2018 02:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If the problem is the crt then this project is toast. It’s odd though, but out of all the tvs I’ve owned RCA is the only brand so far that’s come in with a bad crt.

I did notice that the plunger at the side of the CRT (I know it’s called something else but the name escapes me), is missing. A picture should be attached to show what I mean.

compucat 07-23-2018 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sealtest (Post 3202286)
If the problem is the crt then this project is toast. It’s odd though, but out of all the tvs I’ve owned RCA is the only brand so far that’s come in with a bad crt.

I did notice that the plunger at the side of the CRT (I know it’s called something else but the name escapes me), is missing. A picture should be attached to show what I mean.

Not all sets have a suction cup at the second anode connection. Your set is not missing anything. that looks like a 12 inch black and white set. nearly any CRT from a similar set should work. if that set was in a kid's room or was someone's only TV it probably has high hours on it and just used up the CRT. I like those little 12" B&W sets and try to save them whenever I can. With a converter box, or a Roku and a modulator they are still very useful.

zeno 07-23-2018 05:57 PM

Looks normal. A lot of B&W sets dont have the big rubber boot like a
color set. Also on a B&W like this a "dark picture" is almost
unheard of except a bad CRT. Well they were a good set in its day
right up there with Zenith & Panasonic 12" sets. She is just worn out.

73 Zeno:smoke:
LFOD !

Electronic M 07-23-2018 08:27 PM

I have a nib 12cnp4 if that will work.

Sealtest 07-23-2018 09:34 PM

Well I guess for now this project can be set aside. I don't really have the money to justify buying another CRT but this tv will certainly not be thrown away or anything like that. I frequent the local dump just to save these old tvs for fun, which is where this set came from. Since this is a 12" set maybe another parts tv will come along, but it might be hard to find the proper tube for it.

Thank you all for the info. Hopefully the next project will have more life left in it.