Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Things with Motors (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=186)
-   -   Plymouth Cricket - PA (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=264234)

DavGoodlin 05-12-2015 11:29 AM

Plymouth Cricket - PA

What an unusual import. I thought these were like the Dodge Colts but not so.http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/ctd/5012988124.html

Olorin67 05-12-2015 12:17 PM

British car, Chrysler owned the rootes group then, Hillman, Sunbeam, Singer, Humber, most of those makes were dying out even before Chrysler bought them. Ive actually seen a Cricket here in Milwaukee driving around. Cant be too many left...

bgadow 05-12-2015 09:08 PM

I've never seen one in person, only old magazine ads. I have to wonder how well bolted-together a 70s Chrysler from England could be? I do kinda like this car, and could see myself owning it. Odd that its profile reminds me a little of a Chevette.

Olorin67 05-12-2015 09:57 PM

They were rather dreadful rust bombs, by all accounts. The dodge Colt was a rust bumb too, but at least they were reliable until they day they collapsed.

Olorin67 05-12-2015 09:58 PM

Still would be cool to own own of the rare survivors. the one Id really like is the plymouth Fire Arrow.

Username1 05-13-2015 11:57 AM

It would be a cool car to own.... Just have it Z-barted, if they are still around, or
never drive it in the winter if yer in the salt/rust area..... I would have thought
it was a Mitsubishi like the Colts.....

dieseljeep 05-14-2015 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Username1 (Post 3133617)
It would be a cool car to own.... Just have it Z-barted, if they are still around, or
never drive it in the winter if yer in the salt/rust area..... I would have thought

IIRC, the Plymouth Arrow was a Mitisubishi, as well.
The mortality rate of the Plymouth Crickets was rather poor.
Chrysler got into a real jam with the British government, over the money they invested in the plant. :sigh:

AUdubon5425 05-16-2015 08:52 AM

I've only seen/drove one in my life, for sale on a farm in Minnesota in the late 90's. It was an automatic too...about as much pickup as a 'tw Chevy with a Powerglide.

dieseljeep 05-16-2015 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olorin67 (Post 3133574)
They were rather dreadful rust bombs, by all accounts. The dodge Colt was a rust bumb too, but at least they were reliable until they day they collapsed.

Toyota must've done something with their rust problem. Originally, most Japanese cars were rust buckets, as well as many of ours. :sigh:
My nine year old Prius has only one rust spot and that's where I dented it.

dieseljeep 05-16-2015 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Username1 (Post 3133617)

Ziebart, Rusty Jones and others, really didn't help in our rust-belt.
When a treated car rusted and you inquired about getting the rust repaired, all they did was refund the money, you paid for the so-call rust proofing.

Username1 05-16-2015 07:26 PM

It did work, and worked very well.... My brother has a '89 prelude from chicago that
was Zbarted, and mine never was, mine was from Pa, and I got some rust on mine,
but his is perfect, even in the usual gas tank areas where those cars did get some
rust..... I saw the treated area, they did a good job.....

quaddriver 05-16-2015 09:25 PM

I remember being in a cricket that died slowly when dad hit a deer on pa rt 993 thru the cuts one sunday night...

Jon A. 05-18-2015 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavGoodlin (Post 3133541)
What an unusual import. I thought these were like the Dodge Colts but not so.

I don't understand. I don't see a significant difference between it and the Colt.

I like those unusual 70s/early 80s imports. Well, most of them.

Findm-Keepm 05-18-2015 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Username1 (Post 3133954)
It did work, and worked very well.... My brother has a '89 prelude from chicago that
was Zbarted, and mine never was, mine was from Pa, and I got some rust on mine,
but his is perfect, even in the usual gas tank areas where those cars did get some
rust..... I saw the treated area, they did a good job.....

+1 - My 74 Civic had been Ziebarted before I owned it - only rust was on the bumpers and rims. I sold it in 1987, still running on the original body with no bondo...

dieseljeep 05-19-2015 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon A. (Post 3134064)
I don't understand. I don't see a significant difference between it and the Colt.

I like those unusual 70s/early 80s imports. Well, most of them.

The fact still remains that the Cricket was British built, where the Colt was Japanese built.
It seemed like a lot of those foreign cars looked alike, except a few unique cars, like Volkswagen. :scratch2: