Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Solid State CRT Televisions (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   A new BPC set I bought for my son (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=267881)

RCAZenith 10-10-2016 05:08 PM

A new BPC set I bought for my son

The 2004 Funai 27" in my sons room crapped out (everything looks green in the picture). I just bought a RCA CTC203 Made in 2000. I know it is not as good as the earlier stuff, but I was just looking for another 27" set with composite inputs. What can I expect out of the CTC203?http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...f7c4472fb4.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...892a583cb1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Electronic M 10-10-2016 06:14 PM

IIRC my folks had a 27" one as our main set from new to about 6 years ago. Never had a problem with it...Performance was about average for BPC...Ours lacked s-video input and had strictly the standard mustard, ketchup, mayo inputs. :D

RCAZenith 10-10-2016 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electronic M (Post 3171538)
IIRC my folks had a 27" one as our main set from new to about 6 years ago. Never had a problem with it...Performance was about average for BPC...Ours lacked s-video input and had strictly the standard mustard, ketchup, mayo inputs. :D

This thing has super bright picture. And looks surprisingly sharp. Anyhoo, what is the g link? Looks like a standard headphone jack to me.

RCAZenith 10-10-2016 06:45 PM

Nevermind - here is the answer

http://www.ehow.com/facts_7258533_g_link-tv_.html

dishdude 10-10-2016 07:46 PM

Those weren't bad sets. They included an IR blaster that plugged into the G-Link port so you could easily record shows from the built in guide with your VCR. No one used it. Used a standard 1/8" mono earphone jack.

Jeffhs 10-10-2016 09:29 PM

The CTC203 was the first Thomson chassis to use a tuner that wasn't mounted on the set's main PCB. The tuner was mounted remotely from the chassis, with cables connecting it to the main board. The earlier Thomson sets had the onboard tuner, which caused no end of trouble when the ground points around the shield broke loose from the board. This allowed noise to enter the jungle IC, ruining said IC (by scrambling its programming, among other things) in no time flat.

I think RCA/Thomson used the remote tuner design (mounted separately from the chassis) with every one of its TVs from the CTC203 chassis to the last NTSC one. The remote tuner may be and likely is used in Thomson's flat screen sets as well.

StellarTV 10-11-2016 01:21 AM

Those are great sets with great pictures, however they do have a tendency to develop a bad solder joint underneath one of the box-styled mylar capacitors in the horizontal output circuit which then arc out. For longevity's sake, check these and resolder if needed.

Jon A. 10-11-2016 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffhs (Post 3171562)
The CTC203 was the first Thomson chassis to use a tuner that wasn't mounted on the set's main PCB. The tuner was mounted remotely from the chassis, with cables connecting it to the main board. The earlier Thomson sets had the onboard tuner, which caused no end of trouble when the ground points around the shield broke loose from the board. This allowed noise to enter the jungle IC, ruining said IC (by scrambling its programming, among other things) in no time flat.

I think RCA/Thomson used the remote tuner design (mounted separately from the chassis) with every one of its TVs from the CTC203 chassis to the last NTSC one. The remote tuner may be and likely is used in Thomson's flat screen sets as well.

Ah, the infamous "tuner on board" design. I had Thomson sets with CTC157/159 chassis which I *thought* were this type, but were actually a more reliable "no separate tuner" design.

I reckon future collectors going for sets like this won't run into many weak CRTs. Apparently they rarely get weak, plus they were made toward the end of the CRT era so generally didn't see as much use as older sets.

radiotvnut 10-14-2016 12:32 AM

There is a coil in the base circuit of the horizontal output transistor that is famous for having bad solder connections that will cause intermittent horizontal drive (no HV) and will eventually cause the HOT to short. The flyback was another soft spot; but, mainly in the 32" and 36" versions.

RCAZenith 10-14-2016 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radiotvnut (Post 3171757)
There is a coil in the base circuit of the horizontal output transistor that is famous for having bad solder connections that will cause intermittent horizontal drive (no HV) and will eventually cause the HOT to short. The flyback was another soft spot; but, mainly in the 32" and 36" versions.

If I have no real experience with a sauntering iron, would you reccomend trying to reflow the sauters? I could
Get my brother to do it if they look suspect. I usually don't open the case on a tv unless it is dead, because I subscribe to the theory of Shango and others - if it works, don't touch it. I've learned that from working on my '91 Camaro.

Findm-Keepm 10-14-2016 12:31 PM

Most of the solder-related problems with the CTC203 were in early sets, from late 1999. Yours appears to be a later set.

Does it have any advanced features like PIP or Gemstar? Both were royal pains - shutdown issues, all corrected by EEPROM or service menu disables.

Bulletins - not all will be applicable to your set (the Q14101 bulletin is for sets made in 1999....):

CTC203 COLOR TEMPERATURE DRIVE VALUES NOT STORED IN MEMORY AFTER ALIGNMENT ATTEMPT TV01004
CTC203 SHUTDOWN DURING CHANNEL CHANGE, SHUTDOWN DURING AUTOPROGRAM,UNEXPLAINED DEAD SET TV00003
CTC203 MULTIPLE Q14101 FAILURE\BROKEN PCB TRACE TV00004
CTC203 CHASSIS DOES NOT RECOGNIZE PC CONVERTOR MODULE. TV02007
CTC203 POOR, INCORRECT OR INACTIVE PINCHUSION CORRECTION TV01007
CTC203 SWITCH MODE TRANSFORMER NOISE Tv99002
CTC203 POWER LED FAILS TO LIGHT TV02009

zeno 10-14-2016 04:52 PM

We saw few CTC203 chassii. Just remember few FBT's. Also
had a 20" that was butchered by another shop. Refused to
work on it.
IIRC it was the last "real" Thompson / RCA chassis. Ran nice
but I still say the CTC169 was the last great RCA. Later sets
were Chinese JUNK.

BTW the on board tuner sets were CTC175, 176, 177, 185,
186, & 187. They also built the TX81 & TX82 for 9' & 13"
about this time. They ran very nice but a dog to work on.
NOT a real RCA where you can trace the evolution over many
years.

73 Zeno:smoke:
LFOD !