Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   21st Century Gaming (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=169)
-   -   Astroluck not so "Rucky" (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=265342)

captainmoody 09-30-2015 12:57 PM

Astroluck not so "Rucky"

I purchased one of those Bar counter top "Astroluck" Horoscope lucky number vending/amusement machines at an Auction recently.

Originally, it wouldn't even power up.. I traced that to a bent pin on the power connector.

That got the dang thing to light up, but all the digits on the display are lit, no sound, no light animation.. When a coin is dropped in, nothing.. All the Month, Date, and Year digits remain lit..

Maybe the Eprom is Kaput? Any ideas?

Olorin67 09-30-2015 01:11 PM

could it have a bad filter cap? Ive seen devices with too much AC power supply hum not work and light up all the elements in the display.

captainmoody 09-30-2015 04:00 PM

Hmm.. Worth checking out.. Thanks!

captainmoody 10-03-2015 02:36 PM

Eh, I tried the cap.. No luck. My guess is it's brain dead..

Username1 10-03-2015 03:38 PM

Post some pictures of the insides, the main board, and power supply. I use to work on
those things years ago. A few of them had 3 terminal regulators on the board, used
S-100 type power supplies. Sounds like one of the supply voltages is missing somewhere....

captainmoody 10-05-2015 08:44 AM

Ok, I will dig it out and try to get some pics.

The TO-3 Reg was fine.. Keeping it at 5V. From what I remember, it ran only on 5v. The ac transformer put out 8V, that went to the bridge, through a 6800uf cap then to the reg.

It's a small, super cheapo, foreign made setup. There are pics on the internet of the "Astroluck" machine if you are curious.

It's also missing the cash drawer, and marquee sign.. An Auction find that I am not too fond of, and ready to toss..

NoPegs 10-05-2015 10:56 PM

Go through the ICs and examine the RST pins, there's usually an R/C network attached to reset on powerup. One of the components might not be working correctly. You can troubleshoot this by actively pushing the pin high or low depending on the active state it is expecting. (See datasheet.) Also make sure the main oscillator is running if its a micro-controller system. My first instinct was "Sounds like it isn't getting the initial power on reset it needs." Hook it up to a scope and check the risetime of the VCC line? Ideally its a steep and rapid rise, but if it looks drawn out (dozens of ms) check the PSU caps. All else fails, start probing around the IC pins with the scope or a logic probe and look for any signs of activity and go from there.

captainmoody 10-06-2015 11:02 AM

It turned out to be damage from coffee or pop.. The traces to the eprom and several other IC pins were corroded badly. Yuck..Parts unit!