Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Antique Radio (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1946 Westinghouse "refridgerator" radio (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=269974)

decojoe67 01-09-2018 08:14 PM

1946 Westinghouse "refridgerator" radio

1 Attachment(s)
I always regretted selling my little H-126 ivory Westinghouse "refrigerator" radio years ago. I finally came across a nice original working one recently and grabbed it. I liked the idea of it being the model H-125 green-blue version with dark green plastics. Although it often looks light blue in photos, it actually is a nice, very 1940's, slate blue tone in person. I'm sure this was a color option on Westinghouse refrigerators at the time. I was ready to give this one a careful touch-up, but it came out so nice after an extensive cleaning/polishing, I think I'm just going to leave it as-is. It has a very nice patina, and as anyone who has one of these knows, a surprisingly good performer! A must have set in any collection.

MadMan 01-09-2018 10:16 PM

Noice.

Dude111 01-10-2018 10:40 AM

Wow she is goregous!!!!!!

Please give her a pet for me next time ya clean her :)

decojoe67 01-10-2018 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude111 (Post 3194520)
Wow she is goregous!!!!!!

Please give her a pet for me next time ya clean her :)

Thank you Dude! It really is a very cute radio and has a very solid, quality feel to it. I also love the vents down the back. Very machine age. I would recommend one of these to any radio collector who doesn't already have one.

decojoe67 01-10-2018 09:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It does seem this blue-green color was used on period Westinghouse refrigerators!

dieseljeep 01-11-2018 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by decojoe67 (Post 3194539)
Thank you Dude! It really is a very cute radio and has a very solid, quality feel to it. I also love the vents down the back. Very machine age. I would recommend one of these to any radio collector who doesn't already have one.

I got a broken up one several years ago.
There must've been such a demand for them because this one was made by Wells Gardner. I've also seen the Westinghouse built one. Very little difference, even circuit-wise. The W-G one had the tube types stamped on the chassis. I don't the Westinghouse built one did.
Some had a 35A5 and some had a 35L6GT. :scratch2:

decojoe67 01-11-2018 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieseljeep (Post 3194560)
I got a broken up one several years ago.
There must've been such a demand for them because this one was made by Wells Gardner. I've also seen the Westinghouse built one. Very little difference, even circuit-wise. The W-G one had the tube types stamped on the chassis. I don't the Westinghouse built one did.
Some had a 35A5 and some had a 35L6GT. :scratch2:

I heard that these were one of the very first new radios on the market after WWII. They are often even dated as 1945. I read that there was various chassis revisions made in the several years they were produced. It's a very unique little radio and they work as good as they look.