Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   General Off Topic Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Disappointment at the Library (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=276463)

kf4rca 02-25-2024 01:09 PM

Disappointment at the Library

It is with great regret that I report that the Atlanta Library (Fulton County Library) has disposed of ALL the TV Photofacts and Ryders manuals that they once possessed.
They had a pretty good collection even though much of it was picked over and stolen. They had a copier there that I used many times (but some people are to cheap to copy it and just stole them).
I admit they occupied a lot of space and were rarely used, except by guys like us.
They did a remodel back in 2018 and I suspect they were disposed then. Actually it was a pretty nice library even before the remodel.
Our tax dollars at work!

Username1 02-25-2024 10:11 PM

Northside Branch?
Buckhead Branch?

Or is it another..... Well, you gotta know it's going to happen at EVERY other
library that has them all over the country, just a matter of time....

kf4rca 02-26-2024 07:38 AM

Sorry, downtown branch. Across from Peachtree Center MARTA station.

Electronic M 02-27-2024 01:25 AM

It's a space hogging PITA (I've got 6-7 4-drawer file cabinets full of Sam's) but IMO necessary thing to keep the paper around in your own collection.

Several years ago WCTC dumped their collection and it was the only one that wasn't almost an hour drive and or in a sketchy neighborhood....So I just started buying Sam's collections. I'm at the point that besides a file drawers worth of random sets between 600 and 1850 (where I decided to cut them off) and a few radio folders under 72 that I'm missing (my riders overlaps that era so no sweat) I'm pretty much solid on service literature.

If we don't save them nobody will.

Alex KL-1 02-27-2024 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electronic M (Post 3255888)

If we don't save them nobody will.

Well said. Unfortunately, is the sad reality for certain historic items.

zeno 02-27-2024 12:53 PM

If you want Sams dont forget to check universities & OLD trade schools.
Offer them a donation & haul them away. They take up a LOT of space & sq ft is VERY expensive !
Keeping a collection clean is a PIA, especially when they slide under.
We had from #1 on. After about #1000 I kept them in the boxes & filed.
That kept them mint but they did have "legs" !

73 Zeno:smoke:
LFOD !

Adam 03-15-2024 04:49 PM

I been collecting this stuff for years - I have about 2/3 of the Sams from 1 through the 1500s, takes up 4 filing cabinets. A complete set of Zenith factory manuals from '48 through '79, B&W and Color (and a few up into the early 80's). Those "most often needed" manuals up through the mid-50's. A few of those Tab manuals (just RCA and Zenith), a few of those Riders binders from the 40's...

Telecolor 3007 03-18-2024 05:17 PM

Libraries are "purifed" of some old tehnicall stuff in other countries too. People do not need to know the past, so they can't judge.

Tube TV 03-27-2024 04:24 PM

My local library is like that. They got rid of all the old electronics books probably 10 or so years ago. They never had anything like Sams Photofacts, but the small selection they did have was a huge resource for me before the internet.
I can't remember the last time I was in there but it must be about 2016 and was disappointed at how many old books were gone.

I'm glad that sites like world radio history and archive.org are offering PDF's of these books.