Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Antique Radio (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   New radios in my collection (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=268631)

Captain Video 03-05-2017 04:53 PM

New radios in my collection

3 Attachment(s)
These radios I brought on the same trip in which I brought the TVs seen in this topic: http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=268630

They are a 1933 Philips and a 1956 working Zenith with FM that looks like to be in mint condition.

Tubejunke 03-06-2017 03:21 AM

Nice score. You don't see much that looks like that Philips, and the Zeniths' of that era are more liable to work as is than not. I have one of those which currently is not working. It's on my weight loss list. Not because it doesn't work. I just have too many radios and the 30s-40s stuff for me have the style I prefer.

init4fun 03-06-2017 07:02 PM

:D Very nice , I like the way the Philips looks kinda like a guitar body (or perhaps maybe a violin) . And I'll second Tubejunke on the Zenith , I've got one of the "propeller dial" ones and it sounds really really good , way better than I expected it would when I first saw it .

Tubejunke 03-07-2017 02:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by init4fun (Post 3179989)
:And I'll second Tubejunke on the Zenith , I've got one of the "propeller dial" ones and it sounds really really good , way better than I expected it would when I first saw it .

I'm wondering if you are talking about one of these? There are several different models of these such as H725 and 7G01 to name 2. I think the design was fairly popular giving it a long run, so different electronic changes through the run gave way for different referencing. I have read somewhere that some models are preferred or better as far as performance.

I have owned at least one for a long time and I am always amazed at the sound quality. Almost every one I've seen works still. The bass response is incredible and you can crank up the volume on FM and not get distortion. Just a really well designed set. And mine is completely unrestored. so I wonder what its potential is with good caps. I may find out as I noticed the last time I used it that the sound would get slightly distorted after a half hour or more playing. That wouldn't be a tube most likely, so one of the paper caps (all?) is leaking badly or a resistor is changing value with heat.

init4fun 03-08-2017 07:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
:) Yes indeed , that's the one . It's weird that my photo makes the radio look worse than it does in person , for instance there is nothing wrong with that righthand knob and the photo almost makes it look broken . Anyway , I figured this one was the keeper of the several I've had over the years because this is an 8 tube model where I usually always saw only the 7 tube model and had thought that 7 was as high as the tube count went in these . So now that we know there is an 8 tube model I wonder if there was a 9 tube version ?

Tubejunke 03-08-2017 11:19 PM

Very cool. Glad to see someone that appreciates these as they don't command a lot of attention really, I believe just due to the fact that they made millions of them. Pretty popular at the time when they were new. Then again, the run must have been for a fair amount of years to include the various chassis changes. I've only noted one physical change to this line and I think it's one of the later, probably last models.

It's the same, but the speaker grille is more conical. It sticks out further. I wish I knew the breakdown on every model as far as dates, changes, tube count-compliment, etc. Perhaps I can do a little research. Great idea showing the label on yours. They weren't playing when they threw in 4 FM cans and 3 AM cans. Hence their super sensitivity.

Electronic M 03-09-2017 06:56 AM

I've got two. On with pre-war and post-war FM. Need to restore them one of these days.

DavGoodlin 03-09-2017 11:30 AM

I have one like the captains but with brown knobs and diamond pattern. It's a 1951 but the propeller dial ones posted above were made over several and I have 2 about 1955 vintage.

Normally, I change the selenium rectifier to a 400 PRV diode rect and add a 300 ohm 3 watt to compensate for the selenium's voltage drop, the schematic shows 130 volts.

DavGoodlin 03-09-2017 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electronic M (Post 3180241)
I've got two. On with pre-war and post-war FM. Need to restore them one of these days.

Pre- war fm on a table radio is pretty rare:smoke:

Electronic M 03-09-2017 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavGoodlin (Post 3180257)

Between that and the good price I was unable to pass it up. :thmbsp: It's the first pre-war FM equipped set in my collection...Should be a fun resto once I get the fabled 'round-tuit. :D

DavGoodlin 03-09-2017 01:34 PM

I have early FM (42-50mc) on two consoles, both Stromberg-Carlson. Id rather trust a Zenith to pick up anything that's on that band today. Assuming a balanced 300 ohm line, the antenna would be a huge dipole, like 10 feet.

From DXing.com "30 to 50 MHz: This is known as the "VHF low" band. Most transmissions will be in narrow band FM with channels spaced at 20 kHz intervals. A wide variety of stations can be heard on this range, including businesses, federal, state, and local governments, law enforcement agencies, and various industrial radio services."

bgadow 03-09-2017 08:01 PM

I have a Stromberg-Carlson console with the old band; I didn't bother recapping the FM chassis & left it unplugged, at least for now. It's quickly became my favorite set for its performance on the other bands.

I also have a pre-war Philco console & table model with the old band; haven't tackled either set.

Tubejunke 03-10-2017 12:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavGoodlin (Post 3180257)

I have a Philco 42-350 that works, but needs some tlc. Hum from the power supply and dirty potentiometer. It has the old FM band, which up to this point I thought was more or less useless.

jr_tech 03-10-2017 01:29 AM

Huh ? perhaps I am missing something, but i do not see the early FM frequencies on that Philco.

jr

update : I figured it out ...those on the top scale are the old FM channel numbers... neat!

edit add: lets do the math... divide the channel number by 10 and then add 40 to obtain the frequency in mHz... so channel 21 divided by 10 is 2.1 plus 40 is 42.1 mHz ... in like manner, channel 99 is 49.9 mHz.

Electronic M 03-10-2017 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgadow (Post 3180296)
I have a Stromberg-Carlson console with the old band; I didn't bother recapping the FM chassis & left it unplugged, at least for now. It's quickly became my favorite set for its performance on the other bands.

I also have a pre-war Philco console & table model with the old band; haven't tackled either set.

IIRC someone figured out that the old 40 MHz IF TV tuners can block convert the FM present band to the pre-war freqs when set to something like ch 6...If you've got some spare TV tuners around that might give the FM chassis in that set a purpose.