Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   General Off Topic Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Be careful moving shelves (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=270901)

Electronic M 09-20-2018 08:21 PM

Be careful moving shelves

Since I'm lucky I don't have a concussion right now (some might say I had it coming) I want to pass on yesterdays hard-learned lesson in order to potentially save a few of my fellow numbskulls...And maybe provide someone a laugh.

A while back I struck a great deal with a friend and fellow VK member for a nearly complete set of radio riders books (having the paper when a scan is illegible can be invaluable) I then obtained a thrift store file cabinet for them and proceeded to try and shift some things in "my dungeon of electronic repair and chaos" (AKA my workshop) so that I could place that cabinet next to my sam's file cabinets....

That involved moving one of my catch-all shelving units ~15" over. Being the exceptionally lazy person I am (and craving more abuse after replacing the pads and rotors on Ma's car earlier yesterday) and lacking floor space to completely empty the shelving unit I instead removed just enough (about half from the bottom end up) that I could kinda slide it. The thing was not sliding very smoothly and being one of those plastic jobs it more wanted to bend than slide when pushed in the middle...I soon found myself inching it from the bottom crouched down next to it. Next thing I know I look up and three 1930's American Flyer model train transformers that were on the second shelf from the top were practically on my head...They landed, leaving me with two nice deep punctures in the skin in my hair, some mild scratches to the forehead*, a big lump on my forehead and one of the worst headaches I've ever had...Still kind of hurts when I do this: :naughty:

*Since the scar in the middle of my forehead from an icicle mishap when I was 3 and a playground mishap when I was ~6 (yes lightning scan strike twice in the same spot) were not distinctive enough. :D

The moral of the story: unload the whole shelf or wear a helmet when moving it...Or: slapstick is only fun to watch, not fun to try at home. Don't imitate this numbskull.:stupid::withstpd:

WISCOJIM 09-20-2018 10:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Could have been worse...

http://www.videokarma.org/attachment...1&d=1537500169

BTW, do you have a copy of Riders #2 for TVs? Thanks to WARCI's Glenn Trischan I've got an extra copy I can sell to you cheap if you're interested.

Electronic M 09-20-2018 10:43 PM

Glad I'm not that guy!... It could have been a lot worse. Tonight some 'forensics' revealed that one of the transformers that had two terminals on one side made the punctures in my scalp...The spacing was a perfect match and bloody hair was found on the terminals of the suicide weapon. :D ...I'm so glad I'm not dead.

I don't think there were any TV riders in the lot...I probably have digital copy, but I'd still be interested in the paper version.

WISCOJIM 09-20-2018 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electronic M (Post 3204174)
I don't think there were any TV riders in the lot...I probably have digital copy, but I'd still be interested in the paper version.

No, all you got recently from me were radio manuals, I didn't know if you were wanting or needing any TV volumes. And yes, you should already have a complete digital set of Riders radio & TV from me. Are you planning on going to the October 14th meet in Madison?

http://warci.org/event/warci-madison...nstance_id=110

(free plug for our next meet)

Electronic M 09-20-2018 11:15 PM

Probably, I need to sell more stuff for the impending winter take over of the garage by cars (why a car would want to take over a garage I can't fathom :D ).

To have a complete paper set of riders I just gotta find radio volumes 1,10,19,22+, and all the TV volumes...I'm going to need another file cabinet.

WISCOJIM 09-20-2018 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electronic M (Post 3204177)
Probably, I need to sell more stuff for the impending winter take over of the garage by cars (why a car would want to take over a garage I can't fathom :D ).

To have a complete paper set of riders I just gotta find radio volumes 1,10,19,22+, and all the TV volumes...I'm going to need another file cabinet.

Most of the TV volumes (and the combined TV & radio #24-27) are large format, 14 by 17 inches or so. May not fit well in a file cabinet.

Celt 09-21-2018 05:32 AM

~(_8^(|) D'Oh!

init4fun 09-21-2018 02:01 PM

:sigh: Still got a dent in my skull from walking into the (not running) propeller of a small Cessna 40 years ago , one second of inattention and boom !

Jon A. 09-22-2018 05:10 PM

Man, reading that almost makes my head hurt.

I still have a pair of parallel scars on my right arm from a bike accident that occurred around 1987. I tried speeding up to get past another kid who was just pulling out onto the sidewalk and T-boned him. The concrete steps I fell onto were literally in rough shape due to lack of maintenance, much like the rest of the building. I had another bike accident around 1996 that didn't leave any scars that I know of, but I was holding a Tim Horton's cappuccino in one hand and steering/braking with the other. My front wheel hit a rut on an unpaved path with a slight grade and over the handlebars I went. That caused a few cuts, scrapes and a bad mood, *but* I managed to not spill the drink.

Electronic M 09-22-2018 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon A. (Post 3204236)
Man, reading that almost makes my head hurt.

I still have a pair of parallel scars on my right arm from a bike accident that occurred around 1987. I tried speeding up to get past another kid who was just pulling out onto the sidewalk and T-boned him. The concrete steps I fell onto were literally in rough shape due to lack of maintenance, much like the rest of the building. I had another bike accident around 1996 that didn't leave any scars that I know of, but I was holding a Tim Horton's cappuccino in one hand and steering/braking with the other. My front wheel hit a rut on an unpaved path with a slight grade and over the handlebars I went. That caused a few cuts, scrapes and a bad mood, *but* I managed to not spill the drink.

Wow Impressive that you were able to hold your drink! I've had more accidents on two wheels than I can count/remember... I only once went over the handle bars...I was riding through the subdivision I lived in in Florida. There was a house where the driveway had this stupid brick fence next to it the road was 4' down from the side walk and the top pillar of the wall was an 5-10" brick lump barely noticeable on my left side. I was riding my delsol beach cruiser ( a new bike built to resemble a 1930s/40s Springer bike) which is rather low slung...my left pedal was down as I was coasting and it caught that stupid brick lump...In such a way that it pedaled for me.... the mechanical action was such that I experienced an instant of infinite acceleration followed by an instant of infinite deceleration.... none of it was perceived by me...I was instantly waist over the handle bars feet off the pedals seeing lots of color noise in my vision and somehow managed to coast on the still upright bike about 10' before falling over....I had no clue what hit me but it hit Hard.... inspection revealed the left pedal was destroyed and then I figured it out from there.... the owners of the house were lucky they weren't home...I had recently paid around $300 of my own money to buy that bike new(I was around 14 years old then and that was a huge investment to me then), and I was going to demand they pay for the damages... It probably took 15 min for the color noise to subside.

Jon A. 09-24-2018 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electronic M (Post 3204238)
Wow Impressive that you were able to hold your drink! I've had more accidents on two wheels than I can count/remember... I only once went over the handle bars...I was riding through the subdivision I lived in in Florida. There was a house where the driveway had this stupid brick fence next to it the road was 4' down from the side walk and the top pillar of the wall was an 5-10" brick lump barely noticeable on my left side. I was riding my delsol beach cruiser ( a new bike built to resemble a 1930s/40s Springer bike) which is rather low slung...my left pedal was down as I was coasting and it caught that stupid brick lump...In such a way that it pedaled for me.... the mechanical action was such that I experienced an instant of infinite acceleration followed by an instant of infinite deceleration.... none of it was perceived by me...I was instantly waist over the handle bars feet off the pedals seeing lots of color noise in my vision and somehow managed to coast on the still upright bike about 10' before falling over....I had no clue what hit me but it hit Hard.... inspection revealed the left pedal was destroyed and then I figured it out from there.... the owners of the house were lucky they weren't home...I had recently paid around $300 of my own money to buy that bike new(I was around 14 years old then and that was a huge investment to me then), and I was going to demand they pay for the damages... It probably took 15 min for the color noise to subside.

Yeah, it was just an ordinary coffee shop cup with a flimsy plastic lid which did get dented as I recall.

I've had plenty of thrills, chills and spills on two wheels but those I mentioned were among the worst. Your accident sounds a bit like the Picard maneuver, only on a bike and a lot more painful. I reckon it knocked the wind out of you as well.

Around the time of the second bike accident I also managed to wreck a Power Wheels Jeep, something that probably rarely happens if ever. It was a non-working trash pick that a buddy and I took the drive train out of so it would free-wheel. I lost control on a somewhat steep grade but fortunately it veered left and slammed into a curb, throwing me into a bush. The accident bent the front axles, so the front wheels were facing away from each other. It could have been a lot worse though, I could have kept going straight and hit the curb at the end of the road, after which there was a big drop. That accident like many other things at the time aggravated my foot problem; I had corrective surgery in '98 and haven't had a problem since.

WISCOJIM 09-24-2018 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon A. (Post 3204280)
Your accident sounds a bit like the Picard maneuver, only on a bike and a lot more painful.

Accelerating to warp 9 in the Battle of Maxia? Instead of the "Picard Maneuver", I think you meant the "PIT Maneuver", didn't you?

Electronic M 09-24-2018 08:42 PM

You know I think you're right that did knock the wind out of me...

Your lucky to have had one of those power wheels vehicles...I knew someone that had one when I was really young and wanted one but never got one.

Your accident with that reminds me of the last time I rode my beach cruiser before I left it to rot in the shed. I live on a big hill so big that I keep treasures in the basement knowing that if the basement floods neighbors downhill will have water above the peaks of their rooves. That bike has no hand brakes or gear shift (which is how I like my bikes). I went down a private road (that runs against the back edge of my yard) down that hill and my chain (which is used to operate the brakes by pedaling backward) fell off...Not having the ability to turn parallel to the hill to stop thanks to the brush and coasting not being a good option since the hill ends at the lake 1 block down (and I had not been down that road before to know if it even went all the way down) I quickly chose the best option available before I gathered too much speed for it to be safe-ish. I coasted into the dry leaf filled ditch got close to a flexible sapling, grabbed it and jumped off the bike at the same time...The sapling buckled but slowed me some...Since I was still moving at a good clip I rolled up into a ball and rolled ~3 times before coming to rest (I let out a whoop my folks heard)...Aside from a few scratches a lot of adrenaline, and my shoe soles coming partially detached I was fine as was my bike...However, that Beach Cruiser has a habit of losing its chain so with how many big hills there are here I decided to stop riding it then and there.

Dude111 09-25-2018 12:26 AM

Im glad your ok Electronic M :)!!!!:)

Jon A. 09-25-2018 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WISCOJIM (Post 3204282)
Accelerating to warp 9 in the Battle of Maxia? Instead of the "Picard Maneuver", I think you meant the "PIT Maneuver", didn't you?

No, I meant the Picard maneuver, although I used the term loosely. An instant of infinite acceleration followed by an instant of infinite deceleration and Tom not knowing what hit him sounds like the Stargazer and the Ferengi rolled into one.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Electronic M (Post 3204285)
You know I think you're right that did knock the wind out of me...

Your lucky to have had one of those power wheels vehicles...I knew someone that had one when I was really young and wanted one but never got one.

Your accident with that reminds me of the last time I rode my beach cruiser before I left it to rot in the shed. I live on a big hill so big that I keep treasures in the basement knowing that if the basement floods neighbors downhill will have water above the peaks of their rooves. That bike has no hand brakes or gear shift (which is how I like my bikes). I went down a private road (that runs against the back edge of my yard) down that hill and my chain (which is used to operate the brakes by pedaling backward) fell off...Not having the ability to turn parallel to the hill to stop thanks to the brush and coasting not being a good option since the hill ends at the lake 1 block down (and I had not been down that road before to know if it even went all the way down) I quickly chose the best option available before I gathered too much speed for it to be safe-ish. I coasted into the dry leaf filled ditch got close to a flexible sapling, grabbed it and jumped off the bike at the same time...The sapling buckled but slowed me some...Since I was still moving at a good clip I rolled up into a ball and rolled ~3 times before coming to rest (I let out a whoop my folks heard)...Aside from a few scratches a lot of adrenaline, and my shoe soles coming partially detached I was fine as was my bike...However, that Beach Cruiser has a habit of losing its chain so with how many big hills there are here I decided to stop riding it then and there.

I didn't have that trash-find Power Wheels Jeep for long, and it never moved under its own power for me, so it wasn't that great. I have a 3HP treadmill motor that needs brushes, I may use it to power some kind of go-kart of my own creation; time will tell.

I'm guessing that bike was a cheaply-made replica; I never had problems with coaster brakes.

I can appreciate the simplicity of bikes with coaster brakes and a single gear ratio, the downside is that they're a dog to pedal uphill. There are a lot of hills where I used to live, and although I swapped out my bike's original 2-speed crankset for a 3-speed, giving it a "granny low" if you will, I still couldn't take certain hills.