Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Introductions (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   Greetings from Washington D.C. USA (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=271334)

kryten79 02-06-2019 08:10 AM

Greetings from Washington D.C. USA

5 Attachment(s)
Hello! I look forward to delving into the great resource that is Videokarma. I have spent more time at AudioKarma but have had occasion to pop in here at times.

I have a circa 1935 Crosley 555 radio which belonged my grandparents. This hould be a fairly straightforward restoration as it is is intact and complete.

I recently was given an incomplete 1935-36 Zenith 9-S-54 console radio, chassis #5903 which is missing the 12" Field Coil speaker. My first thought was to replace it with a modern 8 Ohm coax driver, and introduce a 2K Ohm resister and choke coil to the circuit. The tuning belt is nonexistent and the recommended supplier closed his doors Jan. 1st. The coarse tuning knob spins on the shaft. I have not looked more closely for other issues.

I also have an old crank wall phone that may just get cleaned up and hung.

My wife loves the look of antiques and supports my hobbies so I may acquire other items if I have the opportunity.

I do have a background in electronics, circuit theory and repair techniques. Been awhile since I used some of it.

electronjohn 02-06-2019 08:59 AM

Welcome to VK!

Electronic M 02-06-2019 09:15 AM

Welcome.

Some advice on the crosley from someone who last year did a similar chassis. They used oddball 3 terminal dual section paper caps...be careful to understand the wiring and install the replacements properly.

What you propose on the Zenith is a valid approach....Spaekers for zeniths are obtainable and putting a want ad on the antique radio forum will get you more help than VK. Using a choke for the field coil is more advisable but a resistor will work. Check the hardware stores for a good sized rubber or silicone O-ring to replace the belt.

dieseljeep 02-06-2019 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electronic M (Post 3208254)
Welcome.

Some advice on the crosley from someone who last year did a similar chassis. They used oddball 3 terminal dual section paper caps...be careful to understand the wiring and install the replacements properly.

What you propose on the Zenith is a valid approach....Spaekers for zeniths are obtainable and putting a want ad on the antique radio forum will get you more help than VK. Using a choke for the field coil is more advisable but a resistor will work. Check the hardware stores for a good sized rubber or silicone O-ring to replace the belt.

I looked the schematic for the 555 on N/A. The Crosley really has a strange volume control and detector/AVC circuit using a dual volume control.
Try to source that one! :thumbsdn:

Titan1a 02-06-2019 07:17 PM

Glad you're here. I collect Zenith and Philco '34 to '40 radios. I especially love my rare Philco 37-665B.

Peternith 02-15-2019 11:56 AM

Hello! Welcome to the forum!

Lazyfan 08-19-2019 05:02 AM

Hey, I'm in stafford I think I have a field coil 12. I'll check wed.

kryten79 11-08-2019 11:12 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome. Life interfered with my free time so I'm hoping to get to these gems as the weather turns cold. I am putting together the parts lists including wiring. I got my hands on a Magnavox 12" field coil speaker, 1000 ohm rather than the 2K ohm Zentih 49-120. I think with a resistor this will work to get me started without modifying the remainder of the circuit. Still on the hunt for the real thing.

Sandy G 11-08-2019 12:13 PM

Nice t'have ya ! Welcome !

Dude111 11-11-2019 12:19 AM

Welcome!!!!!