Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Things with Motors (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=186)
-   -   Buick Electra for 1970! (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=265960)

drh4683 12-22-2015 07:18 PM

Buick Electra for 1970!

American Iron!

Took my '70 Electra out for the last drive of the year today before putting it away for the winter. A nice juxtaposing view of the car and a Patton M-46 tank!

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/742/2...d25a2b15_o.jpg70_buickA by drh4683, on Flickr

Eric H 12-22-2015 07:38 PM

That is one sweet car, wonder which one weighs more? :D

Electronic M 12-22-2015 08:28 PM

Nice tank you've got there Doug! :thmbsp:....Ooh and the M-46 Patton ain't bad either. :D ...helps add scale

Sandy G 12-22-2015 08:42 PM

That was the last year for the monumental 1965 re-design of GM's "Big" cars...

bgadow 12-22-2015 09:21 PM

I did some minor repairs on one of these for a customer once and had the pleasure of driving it to/from his house. The handling was kinda scary, but I suspect a set of shocks might have helped. Ever since then these have remained some of my favorite Buick's. I prefer their style to any of their contemporary GM brand-mates in that era.

Adam 12-23-2015 12:17 PM

Nice. I like those big Buicks. 1970 was the first year for the Buick 455. I have that 72 Centurion 455 convertible but it's been sitting in the yard behind my grandpa's old house for 7 years now, I don't know if I really want to but I've been thinking I should just sell it.

quaddriver 12-24-2015 04:54 PM

Ok, twist my arm...sold.

I fondly remember Dads 69 with the 430. PAss everything but a filling station....

A story from a few years back: guy at IBM I worked with had to drive from waterbury to Danbury. He had a CRX back when they were peppy as all get out, and he was well, kind of a dick when driving. Would do stupid yuppy CT based stuff...

He was climbing onto I84 one morning following what was likely a 70 and tried to pass him on the on ramp. The buick driver grabbed all 4 bbls of rochester and his CRX got to stare at tailights the rest of the day. yeah sure he passed the guy later when the guy had settled down to a legalish 60mph as if it was some moral victory. But I grin at the fact that in this stunt the buick prolly burned more fuel than the crx could carry....

Olorin67 12-24-2015 06:10 PM

Friend of mine with a Chrysler Newport of similar vintage had a similar situation with a souped up Honda... few miles later he stopped for gas, and the Honda pulled in, the driver asked what "mods" he had done get that old boat to be so fast... he thought for a moment, and said "radial tires"

KentTeffeteller 01-03-2016 09:01 PM

Even Sandy G on occasion sure makes the Honda driver show respect in lower Bugtussle, the Vo-Tech students driving hopped up Hondas with Pfart Can mufflers get shown dust when Sandy G exercises the Mighty Valdez aka the Supertanker. Something about the torque of a Ford V10 engine. So, Buick 455 and big Mopar 440 eats ricers with ease.

KentTeffeteller 01-03-2016 09:05 PM

P.S., "When Better Tanks Are Built, Buick Will Build Them", GM slogan in 1942. GM once upon a time built both Car and Tank very well on Buick assembly lines.

consoleguy67 01-04-2016 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KentTeffeteller (Post 3153051)
P.S., "When Better Tanks Are Built, Buick Will Build Them", GM slogan in 1942. GM once upon a time built both Car and Tank very well on Buick assembly lines.

The only difference was in the styling!!

Gunslinger 01-04-2016 05:50 PM

I am pretty sure I have the OEM service manual for that vehicle. Need one?

Sandy G 01-04-2016 08:50 PM

These Bad Boiz are Drying Up, & disappearing at an ALARMING rate.. I haven't seen one in I Dunno HOW long. Helluva SHAME, too, Some of us kinda liked the "Stretch-Out" room, & the cloudland ride. And they DON'T have to take ANY Sass from a more "Technological" car, if they're in ANY kind of running order. Car guys always kinda snorted at these Mastodons, but by '70, Detroit had 'em down to a Fine Art. A ginormous car, w/everything extra Generous Motors could put on it, & you could still have 4-5 buds in it w/you, drape yr hand over the wheel, set the Cruise Control on 70, put the air con on 70, as well, put on a '70s radio station, sit back & let the Big Dawg eat up the miles. Europe never understood these cars, but Europe didn't have to get to the Home Office in Davenport every other month...

KentTeffeteller 01-05-2016 06:39 PM

Indeed, Sandy G. Perfect effortless highway cruisers. They were fast, reliable, smooth and great for long highway mile comfort. aka Poor man's Cadillac Sedan DeVille. The 1965-1970 era was peak for build quality and for styling. And a great era for Buick in style, in build quality, and in design and engineering.

Sandy G 01-05-2016 08:13 PM

Yeah, these Bad Boyz were basically a Sedan De Ville, a LITTLE smaller, but the frame& suspension was virtually identical. The Cad had the 472 motor, these things were 455, they'd both been cut drastically by pollution regs, but they'd STILL not embarrass you, if you gave 'em HALF a chance..