Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Transistor Portable Televisions (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=183)
-   -   Sony KV 5000 Trinitron (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=255564)

etype2 09-13-2012 05:03 PM

Sony KV 5000 Trinitron

Anyone know what these controls stand for and do?

They are at the back of a Sony KV 5000 Trinitron.

R BKG B BKG G BKG

Looks like one can insert a screwdriver to adjust, just curious as to what they do.

crtfool 09-13-2012 05:29 PM

Red Background
Blue Background
Green Background

They control the intensity of the 3 guns, as well as the RGB Drive controls - which are adjusted internally.

Electronic M 09-13-2012 06:25 PM

They are good for keeping a B&W image from being tinted, and the colors more true on a color show.

jr_tech 09-13-2012 07:21 PM

I suspect that the more fragile low power directly heated cathode structure employed in the CRT for this set may have been more prone to minor spacing changes... nice to have these three controls, as well as the "screen" adjustment readily available for minor "touch-up".

jr

etype2 09-14-2012 08:01 PM

Thanks. My set has to "warm" of a color image. Would like to adjust without opening the set. Know very little about internals. Do you think if I adjust the B BKG, I could "cool" the image? Or a combination of the three?

Is the Screen adjustment used to adjust the size or position?

jr_tech 09-14-2012 10:04 PM

I don't have the calibration procedure, but I would try either turning the red down a bit or the blue and green both up a bit to see if you can obtain a more balanced picture. The "screen" control affects the overall brightness of all three guns.

jr

Electronic M 09-15-2012 12:22 AM

I'd, with a B&W picture, turn the blue down to min then balance the remaining two controls for true yellow then crank the blue back up until a true white is obtained. I use this procedure on tube type equip so YMMV.

If the B&W image is already tinted badly then what do you have to loose?

etype2 09-17-2012 04:58 PM

I set up a mirror in front of the screen and watched the effect as I turned counter clockwise the R BKG slightly and then the B BKG clockwise. On a Black and white movie, looks better now, more grey less sepia.

Have ME TV, RTV and THIS over the air channels for old movies and shows like Bonanza, Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart ...

dieseljeep 09-18-2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by etype2 (Post 3048263)
I set up a mirror in front of the screen and watched the effect as I turned counter clockwise the R BKG slightly and then the B BKG clockwise. On a Black and white movie, looks better now, more grey less sepia.

Have ME TV, RTV and THIS over the air channels for old movies and shows like Bonanza, Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart ...

Magnavox used to boast about their sepia switch.
They said it adds a pleasing sepia tone to old movies. :D

Popester 10-18-2017 09:12 PM

Etype2, I have the manual and could take pictures of grey scale adjustments PM me if you want pics. Popester.

Popester 10-18-2017 09:15 PM

Etype2, sorry I misread the title. I thought it was a KV4000. That is the manual that I have. Not the one for KV5000. I would think grey scale adjustment would be similar.

etype2 10-20-2017 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Popester (Post 3190962)
Etype2, sorry I misread the title. I thought it was a KV4000. That is the manual that I have. Not the one for KV5000. I would think grey scale adjustment would be similar.

Popester,

If you have the KV 4000 manual, would appreciate a copy. I have a KV 4000.