Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Solid State CRT Televisions (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Can you use the RCA Digital Command Center Remote with a RCA 1982 Colortrak 2000 TV? (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=270240)

HoboJoe 03-14-2018 07:13 PM

Can you use the RCA Digital Command Center Remote with a RCA 1982 Colortrak 2000 TV?

1 Attachment(s)
Hello.

I have a RCA 1982 Colortrak 2000 Television. I recently acquired the Grey RCA Digital Command Center Remote. I would like to know if this remote will work with the '82 model as I believe it was designed to be used with the later 1983 lineup of RCA Colortrak 2000 TV's, CED Player and VCR.

http://www.cedmagic.com/history/digi...and-center.jpg

Thank you.

KentTeffeteller 03-14-2018 10:19 PM

Odds are decent it should work, try it. What have you got to lose?

Electronic M 03-15-2018 10:04 AM

Those take 4 AA batts. Pop some in and try it...Much faster/easier than combing through lit to see if it is compatible (and it is not like you can hurt the TV with the wrong remote)...If the TV doesn't respond look at the front of the remote through the viewfinder of a digital camera or camcorder...CCD imaging devices can see infrared light so if you watch the front via a viewfinder and push a button on the remote you should see a flashing light on the remote front in the viewfinder.

If the remote lights and the TV don't respond they probably are not compatible...If the remote doesn't light then the remote needs repair or your batteries are weak.

I've got 2 remotes from that period that I want to use with my CED player...One doesn't light, and the other probably ain't compatible.

El Predicta 03-15-2018 12:11 PM

Tom C. you never quit amazing me with your all around knowledge. Great asset to this forum.

Larry W

Electronic M 03-15-2018 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Predicta (Post 3197223)
Tom C. you never quit amazing me with your all around knowledge. Great asset to this forum.

Larry W

Thanks for the kind words.

dieseljeep 03-15-2018 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electronic M (Post 3197219)
Those take 4 AA batts. Pop some in and try it...Much faster/easier than combing through lit to see if it is compatible (and it is not like you can hurt the TV with the wrong remote)...If the TV doesn't respond look at the front of the remote through the viewfinder of a digital camera or camcorder...CCD imaging devices can see infrared light so if you watch the front via a viewfinder and push a button on the remote you should see a flashing light on the remote front in the viewfinder.

If the remote lights and the TV don't respond they probably are not compatible...If the remote doesn't light then the remote needs repair or your batteries are weak.

I've got 2 remotes from that period that I want to use with my CED player...One doesn't light, and the other probably ain't compatible.

You mean the one I had doesn't work at all!
I never really tried it and if I did, I probably did the AM radio trick. I don't remember trying it on an actual piece of equipment.
After that many years some functions probably wouldn't work, but I really wanted to see it work on your CED player. :scratch2:

Electronic M 03-15-2018 09:07 PM

The IR emitter is not functioning. I haven't declared it dead/lost cause yet, but I haven't found time to get to the root cause of its problems yet...Right now it is among about a dozen other projects in a sort of purgatory that comes about when I have enough time to open a project up, life suddenly gets busy for a while, I forget about what I was doing and or priorities change. Eventually, I'll get back a roundtuit.

My main video source rack where the CED player it should work with resides is LONG overdue for a rewire (which should kick me back to the remote project)...Normally I do that annually, but has held it's core configuration (analog cable with analog TVs) for probably 3X that by now...Gear in the rack needs repairs and so many things have changed in the way I watch/record TV in that time that it is devolving into a flying spaghetti monster of jury rigs to make digital cable TV work and support my Sony HDCRT with HD video...Some warped part of my subconscious must enjoy having and expanding an impractical backlog of projects. :D

Jon A. 03-16-2018 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electronic M (Post 3197233)
Some warped part of my subconscious must enjoy having and expanding an impractical backlog of projects. :D

I think that's true of most of us here. The key is knowing when to stop for a while, a skill which I'm not even close to mastering.

I have a cable box remote with two infrared emitters connected in series. There was a cold joint just before the emitters that was very tricky to spot.

Robert Grant 03-17-2018 08:35 PM

Are you sure it is infrared remote and not ultrasonic?

My family bought an RCA 25" color set in I believe December 1981 or December 1982. The remote was ultrasonic. The original remote broke a few years later, and I bought a replacement, Phillips ECG RT114.

That set had the best adjacent-channel rejection of any I've seen, but the red was brownish and even strong signals gave a picture with video noise.

HoboJoe 03-24-2018 11:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Decided to take a closer look at the remote, this morning. Apparently I managed to overlook some writing on the bottom battery tray. I didn't bother to noticed the first time. "NEDA TYPE 15A OR EQUIV." ?

jr_tech 03-24-2018 11:55 AM

NEDA type 15A... in other words, a common AA alkaline.

jr

mrjukebox160 03-24-2018 04:47 PM

Yep: https://www.hnstools.com/rayovac-aa-...eda-15a/detail

andy 03-25-2018 02:43 PM